Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 02:08 PM

170 posts, read 252,103 times

Advertisements

Hi there

I may have an opportunity for a job transfer next year to Martinsburg, Salem VA or Johnson City TN. I am a registered nurse. My husband is a retired disabled Veteran.

We are in the process of planning visits to those locations. We went to TN and really enjoyed the area.
Martinsburg is a bit closer to family we have in the Rust Belt. (We are from that area but live in California now. We are a bit over it)

We are looking for a modest home, neighbors but not close enough to see what book they are reading from the porch, maybe a view of some hills, not a flood prone area. We have theee smal rescue dogs and like to garden so a decent yard or even an acre or two is nice. We would like to stay under $250k...lower is even better.

We are hoping for a smaller town with some amenities; movie theatre, Walmart, a cute downtown is nice too.

My husband likes to play guitar so if there are places with live music, open mic, or just some guys that want to get together and jam.

Any ideas on areas that would be close to your VA hospital? And any feedback on the VA there?
Would we need a 4X4 for the winters? Do you get some sun? In the Rust Belt it’s gray for what seems like 10 months a year.

I heard you are phasing out taxing SS! That’s good news.

Thanks so much for your time. We have a while to decide but are excited to start the research

Take care! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 05:13 PM

249 posts, read 195,864 times
I think Virginia is a beautiful state where you have access to mountains and the beach, if you're into that. I grew up there, and love the variety and climate.

Tenn can be beautiful, especially the hill country.

If snow's an issue, WV may be a problem. People who are used to it have no problems, but I did 15 years in Chicago, and the snow drove me out; loved everything else there. My parents' families are both from WV; it wouldn't be on my list.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:05 PM

1,562 posts, read 2,795,370 times
Salem appears to have much less crime than the other areas. I would look long and hard at each location’s taxes and the likelihood of rapid population growth in the Martinsburg area.

Last edited by nalabama; 07-18-2019 at 07:36 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 11:42 PM

Thank you very much. I appreciate both of your inputs!

Old 07-19-2019, 02:55 AM

778 posts, read 795,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustRN View Post
Hi there

I may have an opportunity for a job transfer next year to Martinsburg, Salem VA or Johnson City TN. I am a registered nurse. My husband is a retired disabled Veteran.

We are in the process of planning visits to those locations. We went to TN and really enjoyed the area.
Martinsburg is a bit closer to family we have in the Rust Belt. (We are from that area but live in California now. We are a bit over it)

We are looking for a modest home, neighbors but not close enough to see what book they are reading from the porch, maybe a view of some hills, not a flood prone area. We have theee smal rescue dogs and like to garden so a decent yard or even an acre or two is nice. We would like to stay under $250k...lower is even better.

We are hoping for a smaller town with some amenities; movie theatre, Walmart, a cute downtown is nice too.

My husband likes to play guitar so if there are places with live music, open mic, or just some guys that want to get together and jam.

Any ideas on areas that would be close to your VA hospital? And any feedback on the VA there?
Would we need a 4X4 for the winters? Do you get some sun? In the Rust Belt it’s gray for what seems like 10 months a year.

I heard you are phasing out taxing SS! That’s good news.

Thanks so much for your time. We have a while to decide but are excited to start the research

Take care! !
Definitely pick Salem. Snow is better in TN for you but it isn't bad in Virginia. When they get hit, which is not often, everyone stays home automatically. There are many more opportunities in Virginia as well as VA supported services. If you have a strong political stance, all three states are different, but you did not mention that.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:06 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
In reference to the Eastern Panhandle of WV, it depends on what you need from the VA. There isn't a full VA hospital nearby, but clinics exist in Winchester, VA, and in Hagerstown, MD. If services at one of the clinics are appropriate for your needs, there are a number of small cities in the EP to look into.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:34 AM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I'm from the Johnson City area, and worked/owned property there for two years. I've also been through Salem quite a bit.

Your budget will work for Johnson City, but it will not get you acreage or a mansion. Think of a 3BR/2BA split foyer or ranch on a quarter acre lot or so. Johnson City is the only pocket of "nice" in the area, and prices are higher for that reason.

Johnson City gets one or two moderate snows of 3"-6" most years, and some lighter snows that usually melt in a day or so.

Johnson City has an active downtown with a good dining/bar scene, a large regional university, a smaller Christian college, and is the primary shopping center in the area with the area's only healthy mall.

I've been through Salem and Roanoke, and to me, it feels depressed.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:51 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,491,448 times
Tennessee doesn't have any income tax, but the sales tax is higher to compensate.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,510,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
In reference to the Eastern Panhandle of WV, it depends on what you need from the VA. There isn't a full VA hospital nearby, but clinics exist in Winchester, VA, and in Hagerstown, MD. If services at one of the clinics are appropriate for your needs, there are a number of small cities in the EP to look into.
Martinsburg has a full VA medical center that covers parts of four states.

https://www.martinsburg.va.gov/

Old 07-20-2019, 01:16 AM

Thank you this is great information.
Caden, politically we lean more fiscally conservative, socially moderate/liberal. We are exhausted from the constant California extreme liberalism, endless protesting, government spending and spending and ridiculous cost of living.
My husband gets his medical care from the VA which is where I would work. All three of these city’s have what appear to be good VA systems.
We just want a nice town to live in. I have 10 years till retirement. We would like a place that has a sense of community, friendly folks, plant a little vegetable garden, a yard for our little dogs to play, sit on the porch watching thunder storms, find a nice church.
We have a couple friends outside Johnson City. We don’t know anyone in Martinsburg or Salem. We have moved ALOT for work the last 15 or so years so we are ok with making new connections.
We plan to visit WV and Salem in August and were just in TN over July 4. Hopefully we can get a flavor of the areas.
With regard to snow....I did 40 years in Western New York...it was Lake Effect every winter. SO much snow. I can do some....but please not 2-4 feet at a time from Nov until April. Lol.
I do wonder about the chances of bad flooding though in WV and Salem. I hear that has happened.
Thanks again to all of you so much for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia