Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 06:12 AM

45,330 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Westsideboy will have a better perspective than me but WVA does benefit from the tax and business decisions made by Maryland in that businesses will locate there for cross border traffic due to lower tax load and regulations. The border with PA is much the same.

WVA is also a far flung exurb of DC with thousands of commuters riding the train south daily. They moved to WVA for more house for the money and lower taxes of all types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2019, 06:15 AM

745 posts, read 2,208,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Please remember that this is not the Politics forum. So far, so good, but let's leave the politics elsewhere.
Good point. Just for clarity sake not trying to say one philosophy is better than the other, but as somebody that has lived elsewhere it’s an interesting mix of ideas that has WV on the Nothern-Southern, Liberal-Conservative melting pot with some unique aspects thrown in due to its own history. It doesn’t fit the mold of a classic liberal or conservative state or any other category. If anything it seems a bit prone to do the opposite of what is done in MD or VA and in fact, is proud of that. There’s something to be happy and complain about for everybody because it’s different, but also something to appreciate.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:24 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What are the laws that "suppress" unions? Not forcing those that are not members of unions to fund them is not "suppressing" unions (aka Right to Work).

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm relieved to hear the overall political landscape is what it is. Sounds similar to Idaho in that regard.

I do have another question for you (though this isn't the thread for it). Does WV feel crowded? You have about the same population we do in Idaho, but IIRC about 1/3 the area. Can you find some good sized areas of national forest land to get away from the crowds, do some backcountry motorcycle riding or ATVing? We're fortunate to have thousands of miles of dirt roads throughout my state, hope it's similar.
No, WV doesn't feel crowded at all. Many of the urban areas are located in narrow valleys, so you do have places that have a small city/big town feel, walkable, and so forth if that is what you want.

Most of the state is what I would call "non-farm rural." Lots of trees, hills, hollows, with the population spread out. The biggest contiguous pieces of forest land would be in the Potomac Highlands - George Washington National Forest and there abouts. That is, if memory serves, one of the least densely populated places east of the Mississippi.

Old 12-10-2019, 11:22 AM

39,856 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War-Lord View Post
You do know it’s more than that, right? You conveniently left out what they did to the teachers.
What did "they do to teachers"? I'm not familiar with the in-state issues yet, would like to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Please remember that this is not the Politics forum. So far, so good, but let's leave the politics elsewhere.
Agreed. I'm not promoting one party over another-simply would like to understand what the political landscape of WV is-and which way the winds are blowing.

Old 12-10-2019, 02:46 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
I think a lot of the growth of the EP is folks sorting themselves out of MD and Va, not only because they want bigger houses, but more guns. This is noticeable in parts of PA too - Stroudsburg, southern York County bordering Baltimore County. I used to work for a couple of Hagerstown developers, all their projects were in Berkeley County, and in Franklin County PA, none in MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia