Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 04:07 PM

254 posts, read 586,742 times

Advertisements

Planning to spend 3-4 days exploring your state and trying to come up with a check list of cities and things to see while I am there. I am a foodie, enjoy public art/architecture and outdoor activities (hiking, rafting, mountain biking etc...)
Here are is what I came up with so far:

* Charleston
* Fayetteville
* Summerville
* Lewisburg
* Wheeling
* Maybe Morgantown and Huntington

* New River Gorge
* Seneca Rocks
* Dolly Sods

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I am missing or special mentions of anything in the areas I listed above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 04:38 PM

456 posts, read 601,999 times
Make sure you check out Elkins,Davis and Thomas while going to Dolly Sods. Canaan Valley is in between theses towns and a close drive to Dolly Sods and Blackwater Falls. There are state parks with lodges at both Canaan Valley and Blackwater Falls. Harpers Ferry and Shepherdstown are nice and unique towns in the eastern panhandle.Spruce Knob the highest point in the state is a nice drive and there is a lake near the top. The road is gravel and no phone service so be aware and be prepared. It's a little cooler at the top and have items for emergencies and bathroom visits. I hope you enjoy your visit. Elkins,Fayetteville,Shepherdstown,and Davis all have unique restaurants but I would call ahead some still aren't open.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:19 AM

16,660 posts, read 15,651,806 times
You mentioned you are a foodie, so I'll mention a few things you should try to do while you're in WV.

One of West Virginia's iconic food companies is Tudor's Biscuit World. You should have a Tudor's biscuit. The have locations all over the place. One of West Virginia's iconic foods in a pepperoni roll. It was [supposedly] invented in Fairmont, and somebody can tell you which place is the original, but one that was voted the best pepperoni roll in the state last year was at Books And Brews on Charleston's West Side. A popular local chain for pizza and craft beer is Pies And Pints. They have restaurants in Charleston and Morgantown, but the original is in Fayetteville, near one of West Virginia's older craft breweries, Bridge Brew Works. If you happen to make it to Huntington, you should go to Lasage and visit Hillbilly Hot Dogs. This is truly a unique establishment. It has been featured on Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives a number of times. Look it up. You really shouldn't visit West Virginia without having a West Virginia hot dog.

Outdoor activities are popular around Fayetteville in the New River Gorge area. Ace Adventures is one company that does rafting, hiking, zip lines, and other things. Arrowhead Bike Farm is another place with camping, RV sites, bike rentals, etc., and is located within the New River Gorge at Fayetteville.

In Charleston, the Capitol complex is a good place to see some architecture, and the State Cultural Center and Museum is on the grounds too.

If you're driving to WV, I'd suggest you come down I-81, visit the Eastern Panhandle, then take I-70/I-68 to Morgantown, I-79 to Charleston. Going east to Fayetteville, you have choices to make. You could go north on Rt. 19 toward some of the areas you mentioned, or you could go east and visit the Greenbrier Valley area.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:46 AM

632 posts, read 830,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
Planning to spend 3-4 days exploring your state and trying to come up with a check list of cities and things to see while I am there. I am a foodie, enjoy public art/architecture and outdoor activities (hiking, rafting, mountain biking etc...)
Here are is what I came up with so far:

* Charleston
* Fayetteville
* Summerville
* Lewisburg
* Wheeling
* Maybe Morgantown and Huntington

* New River Gorge
* Seneca Rocks
* Dolly Sods

What do you guys think? Is there anything else I am missing or special mentions of anything in the areas I listed above?
As others have mentioned, although you may be a foodie, I would knock out most of the cities that you mentioned. Spend your time in the mountains. Going to Huntington or Wheeling will be a waste of time.

Dolly Sods is one of my favorite places in the state. Also check out:

Spruce Knob
Snowshoe
Green Bank
Cass
New River Gorge
Summersville Lake
Cranberry Glades
Canaan Valley
Seneca Rocks
Blackwater Falls
Hawks Nest
The Greenbrier
Pipestem Resort
Stonewall Resort
Seneca Caverns
Smoke Hole Caverns

Also consider some of the state parks (there is some overlap with some of the above)

https://wvstateparks.com/parks/

Once you have a better idea of what places that you want to visit, I can give you some restaurant recommendations

Old 06-19-2020, 11:15 AM

Appreciate all the tips brought forward. My plan is finally coming into fruition.

I did not mention I was starting from Boston, my plan was for the first night staying in Scanton PA and then driving down I-81 to the Eastern Panhandle. I am getting vibes that I should check out Frederick, MD before Harper's Ferry then I-70/I-68 to Morgantown, I-79 to Charleston then east to Fayetteville. Maybe ending the trip by checking out the northern panhandle cities of Moundsville and Wheeling before culminating my trip going through Pittsburgh on my way back home.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:39 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,508,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
Appreciate all the tips brought forward. My plan is finally coming into fruition.

I did not mention I was starting from Boston, my plan was for the first night staying in Scanton PA and then driving down I-81 to the Eastern Panhandle. I am getting vibes that I should check out Frederick, MD before Harper's Ferry then I-70/I-68 to Morgantown, I-79 to Charleston then east to Fayetteville. Maybe ending the trip by checking out the northern panhandle cities of Moundsville and Wheeling before culminating my trip going through Pittsburgh on my way back home.
That's a great plan! The drive on Route 340/15 between Frederick and Harpers Ferry is worth it. Absolutely beautiful views of the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers as you cross into West Virginia.

I live in the Eastern Panhandle and give recommendations on food, activities, etc. Safe travels!

Old 06-19-2020, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccul View Post
I live in the Eastern Panhandle and give recommendations on food, activities, etc. Safe travels!
Please do

Old 06-19-2020, 05:21 PM

19,491 posts, read 9,523,271 times
Agree with mmccul. Also, check out Harper’s Ferry Brewing. It’s now a paved drive up from Route 340. They’re open.but there’s a max # of customers inside. There’s lots of outside seating. Hopefully the weather will be decent when you visit. Great views.

Same for views from the Bavarian Inn, brew & restaurant in Shepherdstown, WV.

I heard/read in local paper that Berkeley County’s Covid19 #’s went up (cluster determined from visit to beaches in SC), so hopefully that doesn’t push us back in time. Guess I could suggest getting phone numbers and calling before you drive too far.

Last edited by cat1116; 06-19-2020 at 05:34 PM..

Old 06-21-2020, 05:10 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
This sounds like a fantastic trip! Thanks for initiating this thread! I live in Pittsburgh and love visiting West Virginia. I’m getting some great ideas, too!

Old 06-21-2020, 07:59 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,513,081 times
I used to have to visit Lewisburg every few months on business, and have been pleasantly surprised on the side trips made through West Virginia. It's a little off the beaten path for many of us, and a little hard to get to from the Mid South.

I am amazed at so many places to see. About all I read about tourism is the ATV trails on the Hatfield and McCoy Trail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia