U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2013, 06:35 AM

12,774 posts, read 11,980,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosa Nostra CO1821 View Post
Yes. Oliverio's does have ties with convicted felons for insurance fraud. Oliverio's are located in the Clarksburg region were there is a lot of fake ID activity. Fairmont recently had a shakedown; firearms and drugs violations, including marijuana, crack cocaine, and illegal prescription drugs. Not particularly because of Oliverio's. Manchin's used to be associated for POLITICAL reasons. They're not anymore. That's all I know as far as NCWV.
Thank you so much for the information. I'll conclude it was probably good for the people of WV for Mr. Oliverio to be dismissed as the Director for General Services in the Department of Administration, where he had worked under Robert Ferguson (appointed by Gov. Manchin) why got mad when questioned about his activities and resigned. You have confirmed what I have heard from other (undisclosed) sources.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM

10,148 posts, read 13,086,337 times
One more thing to mention. In those days (early 80s and before) local law enforcement in the Northern Panhandle was VERY selective about which state laws were enforced. Generally, violent crime (not that there was much of it) laws were enforced. Gambling, liquor, and prostitution laws were mostly totally ignored. Local police refused to enforce them, and local courts refused to prosecute except in cases where a particular individual was on the outs with authorities for not paying the required tributes.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:15 PM

6,347 posts, read 8,803,858 times
I just got a tipoff about a huge mafia base off operations. Please report this address to law enforcement agencies.

Capitol, Bldg. 1
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E.
Charleston, WV 25305

Old 03-22-2013, 07:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,326,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
I just got a tipoff about a huge mafia base off operations. Please report this address to law enforcement agencies.

Capitol, Bldg. 1
1900 Kanawha Blvd. E.
Charleston, WV 25305
Be happy Charleston hasn't yanked WVU out Motown - it would be a 2 horse hick town if they did.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 PM

6,347 posts, read 8,803,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
Be happy Charleston hasn't yanked WVU out Motown - it would be a 2 horse hick town if they did.
Yeah I'm sure there would be a lot of support to needlessly relocate the university.

We are about as happy as Charleston is for not having the capital yanked out from them and moved somewhere else.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 PM

8,860 posts, read 13,260,362 times
This is an interesting thread. Espeically cool since I was just in Fairmont last night on a stop from Charleston to Baltimore and was surprised by the prescence of so many Italian restaurants there which I didn't expect in West Virginia, and certainly didn't notice in other parts of WV that I've seen like Charleston, Buckhannon, Charles Town, Martinsburg, Hampshire County, or Mineral County.

West Virginia seemed like a very safe state. Even in Charleston I was told by the locals that there really isn't any part of town that is completely unsafe to live in where you have to fear violence at all times like you do in many parts of Baltimore where people are shot and killed sitting on their couch when bullets go through their walls). There also seem to be very low numbers of illegal immigrants in West Virginia which of course is a positive thing for sure. (illegals are responsbile for a lot of gang activity and drug trafficking in many places).

Now I don't even know its true but there is some kind of urban legend here in Baltimore than they caught some port workers here stealing farm equipment from the port and selling it on the black market in WV. I kind of question that story. Well at least they didnt say it was coal mining equipment right?

Old 03-28-2013, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,108 times
Has anyone heard of William (Bill) Latham? I was told that he "worked" for Charlie Maroon.... and that he is from the Martins Ferry, Ohio area. That he did some time for mafia crimes.... does anyone know or have heard anything about him? He is now in his late 70's!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:00 PM

49 posts, read 84,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
I always heard about La Cosa Nostra (Italian-American organized crime) around Fairmont, WV. What is the truth on this? Where are the facts?
When I first moved to Fairmont from Pittsburgh in 1988, I heard a few "mafia" rumors. In my 25+ years in that area, I have never seen or heard of any activity or organizations. I don't believe it. *got through this thread and I can't believe my eyes.

Last edited by cldwv; 04-04-2013 at 02:23 PM..

Old 04-07-2013, 09:58 PM

2 posts, read 8,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I grew up in Wheeling during that era. As I said earlier, the Mafia did not operate there by arrangement with the locals. They did, however, cooperate with them. Gambling interests in Wheeling were controlled by Bill Lias. The liquor trade as well as dealing in stolen property tended to be handled by Lebanese folks, and prostitution was handled by the German-Irish. The Italian Americans in Wheeling were, in nearly every case, hard working factory workers although a few operated bars and restaurants, mostly in a perfectly legal fashion.

I would not be surprised if the local bookmakers had "laid off" some of the larger bets through mafia sources in Steubenville, Pittsburgh, and Youngstown but the Mafia did not have direct operations in Wheeling.
Do you know anything about any Truglio's?

Old 04-07-2013, 10:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,056 times
My grandfather was Big Joe Truglio out of Wheeling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or