U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 09:09 AM

2,379 posts, read 4,316,243 times
Is this the painting you were thinking of, DK?

Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 11:11 AM

11,349 posts, read 19,450,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
Is this the painting you were thinking of, DK?

Link
Do they have one of Ed Ames...I mean, Mingo?

Old 08-24-2008, 01:19 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,483,230 times
No...but thanks...it's a life-size done near the end of his life with a dog...and an early depiction of the entry of the Yadkin shows him with dark hair...The link that you posted shows him with the preverbial 'long knife that the indians feared so much...almost a short sabre...used to gutting, skinning and killing people...I have one of these...It's almost 24 " long and hangs on the wall above my desk...was found in the basement sills of an old house...In reality, the biggest cast iron butcher knife you ever saw...oak handle with square copper rivets...the 'Bowie style was shorter and wider...this is at least 6" longer than a 'Bowie Knife.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:26 PM

404 posts, read 782,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickhillbilly View Post
This is RD, the homesickhillbilly in texas......I havent seen or heard from anyone on the takemehomewv site until now and look who I ran into! ha ha ha......how the heck are ya? Have they started another site yet or not? What happened to the other one? I was kinda mystified when I tried to log on one day and it said the site was down...gone...kaput....how can that happen? lol.....I know you know the lowdown on that and lots of other things so git ta talkin!
Are you "RD" from the [domain blocked due to spam] forum that I gave the link to? Glad to see you found some old friends here!

Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 AM

18 posts, read 65,460 times
Yes this is the same RD. Thanks alot for giving me this website. So you live in Doddridge co huh? I have a bud who used to own some land up Meathouse Fork Road. Anywhere near there?

Old 08-29-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesickhillbilly View Post
Yes this is the same RD. Thanks alot for giving me this website. So you live in Doddridge co huh? I have a bud who used to own some land up Meathouse Fork Road. Anywhere near there?

Your welcome! I'm on the other end of Doddridge County outside of Greenwood. I have a daughter that lives down in Grove which is out farther than Meathouse Fork. It's beautiful out there. I love this part of WV and can't imagine having to live anywhere else. Tonight, I'm trying to figure out how to take care of the farm chores this weekend and get to the Italian Heritage Festival in Clarksburg and the Stonewall Jackson Jubilee all in one weekend! Darn grapes could have waited one more week to get ripe! It's a great life!

Old 08-30-2008, 04:55 AM

My friend, Russell Bonasso gets the family together each year to 'stomp the grapes just like they did in Italy 100 years ago...family reunion time and it brings in everyone from around the country...women and girls stomp the grapes in shorts not dresses and cherish a family tradition that reaches back hundreds of years into history...Russ writes for the Shinnston Newspaper and if you get a copy, you will see his wonderful, vibrant personality come out with his words...He also has 2 books in print...both wonderfull descriptions of Wv and its people...

Sharedspirit...you have given me an idea for a new thread...thanks...

Old 09-01-2008, 09:50 AM

11 posts, read 28,481 times
My Granddad was also killed in the mines. He had been union all his life (since teens when he went in--forced by evil stepmother) but when he was offered a company position all the fellas encouraged him to take it so he did. They knew he was smart and safe and would be fair to them and keep them safe---all the guys looked to him as the stand-up guy who would always steer you right and have your best interests at heart. A few months after going company they shafted him---it was all a trick because they didn't want guys once they hit 50. So they let him go. With no where to turn to support his family and months going by he did the only thing he could do and took a job at a mine that was not union organized. He was the foreman and when one of his workers called-off (again) he had no choice but to work in his place. It cos him his life. It cost my then 11 year-old mother her dad. It cost my Grandma Kate her husband and childhood sweetheart. His last act was saving the life of his fellow miners and friends by shoving his buddy back as the bucket collapsed down the air shaft. He was buried alive and he died a horrible slow death. They refused to acknowledge he had blacklung and my Grandmother had to have him autopsied years later after fighting them for years of appeals. She was cruely told that he had not died instantly as she had believed. I could go on and on with how she struggled to support herself and my mom and how my mom went to DC when she was 18 to work and send money home but I'll end here. Just wanted to let the world know about him and Grandma Kate.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:05 PM

You owe it to the unborn generations of family coming later in the future to be able to read this story of bravery and sacrifice...write in down in generous detail...make several copies and put one away for safe keeping...it will be a gift to them to remember and know their people.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
My friend, Russell Bonasso gets the family together each year to 'stomp the grapes just like they did in Italy 100 years ago...family reunion time and it brings in everyone from around the country...women and girls stomp the grapes in shorts not dresses and cherish a family tradition that reaches back hundreds of years into history...Russ writes for the Shinnston Newspaper and if you get a copy, you will see his wonderful, vibrant personality come out with his words...He also has 2 books in print...both wonderfull descriptions of Wv and its people...

Sharedspirit...you have given me an idea for a new thread...thanks...
Your welcome.

I ended up going to Jane Lew on the way to Jackson's Mills. I got a new book by another WV author. James Martin. Nice old man and his books are funny! It's great to talk to the author directly when you buy their books.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia