U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 05:30 PM

11,594 posts, read 20,567,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
My friend, Russell Bonasso gets the family together each year to 'stomp the grapes just like they did in Italy 100 years ago...family reunion time and it brings in everyone from around the country...women and girls stomp the grapes in shorts not dresses and cherish a family tradition that reaches back hundreds of years into history...Russ writes for the Shinnston Newspaper and if you get a copy, you will see his wonderful, vibrant personality come out with his words...He also has 2 books in print...both wonderfull descriptions of Wv and its people...

Sharedspirit...you have given me an idea for a new thread...thanks...
Jeez, I thought Russell had passed. Glad to know his condition was greatly exaggerated. I have his book, "Fire in the Hole", and it's next on my list to read.

BTW: Here's another interesting book by a Fairmont area guy, "Black Days, Black Dust". He was a black coal miner and the story is about mining from a black man's perspective. It's a good read about a West Virginia family, and it answered a lot of questions I had about mining too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 05:38 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,825,714 times
Russell Bonasso, PhD. will be 77 next birthday...

What an example to his family of over 100 degreed 3rd and 4th generation Americans...took a trailer court (built with excellence, care and service to the renters) and made it a million dollar operation.
Sent everyone to college with the family funds...gave to everybody...helped everybody and now has a college scholarship grant program going strong...

Out of the little mining town of Carolina, Wv...a true success story of hard work, sweat and a lot of prayer...as they still go to church every Sunday and keep drinking that wine..that's the secret...keeping the pipes clean and the mind active...

When I grow up, I want to be like Mr. Bonasso. (and his friend, Richard Pizatela)

Old 09-02-2008, 01:10 PM

1,960 posts, read 3,821,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Russell Bonasso, PhD. will be 77 next birthday...

What an example to his family of over 100 degreed 3rd and 4th generation Americans...took a trailer court (built with excellence, care and service to the renters) and made it a million dollar operation.
Sent everyone to college with the family funds...gave to everybody...helped everybody and now has a college scholarship grant program going strong...

Out of the little mining town of Carolina, Wv...a true success story of hard work, sweat and a lot of prayer...as they still go to church every Sunday and keep drinking that wine..that's the secret...keeping the pipes clean and the mind active...

When I grow up, I want to be like Mr. Bonasso. (and his friend, Richard Pizatela)
OMG I know who you're talking about and a few of his grandkids!!! small world

Old 09-02-2008, 08:12 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,825,714 times
Hang around that family, GHO...let all of it rub off while it can...I spelled Pizatella incorrectly...in a hurry...

Old 11-11-2009, 06:13 AM

1 posts, read 13,483 times
Default Wheeling, WV Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
"Big Bill" Lias was reputed to be the kingpin in the Wheeling/Weirton area, with ties to the mob in Steubenville and Cleveland. Supposedly he was big in numbers and bootlegging.

Once "Big Bill: Lias was out of the way Paul "No Legs" Hankish took over the Wheeling area for the Pittsburgh Family.

Remnants of Pittsburgh LCN is as follows:

Thomas "Sonny" Cincutti- Boss of what's left, nobody ever voted him in

John Bazzano Jr. died

Sonny Amato died

Charles "Chucky" Porter not active (Nothing but a Rat)

Wango Capizzi died

Bobby Ianelli was never made, he was an independent bookmaker who paid tribute

Lenny Strollo is in witness protection Well Yes, But he was Release Last year (2008)
From a Federal Prison in Glenville, WV. Lenny has been seen in the Steubenville, OH area with his family members. (I don't think Lenny is needing to much protections these days)

John "Duffy" Connelly is the video poker machine czar who is in federal prison

No he is not in Prison. Duffy served time at The Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) in Elkton, Ohio, Then he was moved to a Pittsburgh Facility before being released on July 27, 2009
(Noticed His Name spelled correctly by me)(Conley)

By Jason Cato
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 14, 2006

Duffy Conley parked in front of a red brick church in downtown Carnegie one January morning, but he wasn't there to pray.
The former kingpin of an illegal video poker empire in Pittsburgh was headed to his rented office at Citadel Financial, housed in the former First Baptist Church on Roberts Avenue.
State and federal investigators, however, beat him there. They were swarming over the office, confiscating computers and sports betting slips.
Conley's arrival gave them more. He was carrying papers detailing illegal video poker transactions and machine locations, and an address book with the names and numbers of bookmakers and ex-cons, including some connected to organized crime, state police said.
The evidence collected Jan. 18 and three months of wiretaps temporarily landed Conley, 43, in the Allegheny County Jail for violating the conditions of his supervised release from federal prison, where he served time for a previous gambling conviction.
On Wednesday, he'll be back in federal court in Pittsburgh as prosecutors try to send him back to prison for two years.
State and federal authorities continue to investigate a multimillion-dollar gambling ring involving what's left of Pittsburgh's LaRocca/Genovese organized crime clan -- considered the strongest of Pennsylvania's three Mafia families until several convictions in the 1990s and the aging of its most influential members helped precipitate its decline.
Conley -- whose gambling operations are linked to the mob -- is at the heart of the probe, investigators say.
"He spoke to every bookie we're aware of in Allegheny County," Paul Marraway, an agent with the state Attorney General's office, said during a Feb. 8 hearing in Pittsburgh before U.S. Magistrate Judge Francis X. Caiazza. "And many of these people are associated with organized crime."
Those include Christopher Paul Hankish, 43, the son of a notorious Wheeling, W.Va., crime boss; and fellow Citadel Financial employee Salvatore A. "Sonny" Williams, 49, whose father ran one of Pittsburgh's largest gambling empires. Both sons did time for their involvement in organized crime.
State investigators say Conley's recent gambling operation included contact with Ralph "Big Head" Maselli and John V. "Johnny A" Adams, both of whom have long ties to the Pittsburgh Mafia, according to reports for the now defunct Pennsylvania Crime Commission.
Investigators said they recorded Conley's telephone conversations for months, and intercepted numerous calls between Conley and the four men they say are associated with organized crime.
Marraway said the topic was always the same -- gambling. And the amount wagered was staggering. Conley moved more than $3 million in sports bets in one month last fall.
Conley's father laughed when asked about his son's involvement with mobsters. "I don't know anything about organized crime," said John F. "Jack" Conley, of Robinson.

Christopher Hankish is out of prison, but not active

Well this is another somewhat truth.
Christopher Paul Hankish Passed away in his apartment in Scott Township. PA on September 19,2008
and never went to prison at all for his involment with "Duffy" Conley

The facts are that Sports Gambling (spot sheets, bookies ect.) in Wheeling WV area had been under control of Chris Hankish for some time and before Him, His father Paul "No Legs Hankish operated for decades for the Pittsbugh Family.

My Father used to work for Paul "No Legs" Hankish, He Also retired as a Racing Judge at Wheeling Downs in Wheeling WV. before Passing from Thyroid Cancer.
He used to laugh at how much money was leaving the track everyday on Sports Gambling.

Chris Hankish had an Assiociate hired at Wheeling Downs in early 80's' His name was John Gorby also used the name "little John" His job was to set up a network from Dog Racing Patrons to Sports gambling for Hankish and the Pittsbugh Family.

In the early 90's Chris Hankish served time in a federal Facility for a unrelated Charge.
Appointing his Assiociate John "Little John" Gorby as his financial advisor.

Conley's sports-betting ring handled $3 million in wagers in less than a month in 2005.

The last time Pittsburgh made members was in 1986/1987- Chuck Porter in 86 and Lenny
(I think this is true, But why be a made member if it only gets the heat on you??)
just a thought.

I agree with JCB1977 there is to much B.S. coming from the Feds.

I have no affiliation with anyone.
Goodbye.

Information data was retieved from
"Real life La Cosa Nostra" 2009

Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 PM

5,826 posts, read 6,217,517 times
You remember the line; "If I told you, you'd know too much and I'd have to kill you." Knowing certain things is not a healthy thing. Seeking that knowledge is equally hazardous to your well being. Just something I picked up somewhere.

Old 11-11-2009, 06:39 PM

967 posts, read 1,997,211 times
One of the first words I learned when I lived in Sicily was "Omerta". A good word to live by

Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 26,553 times
Default Wheeling Downs

My Dad worked at Wheeling Downs as Controller from before I was born until the buy out buy the Delaware company. He was there during this time. The more I search, the more interested I become as to what went on.
I remember frequenting Wheeling as a kid. Alot of memories of Ron's Value Outlet as well.

Old 12-20-2009, 06:25 PM

2 posts, read 26,553 times
I remember meeting the elder Hankish at this Ron's place. My folks told me he was a gangster but I figured there were messing with me. Then I Google Bill Lias and light is shed on the matter.
I never realized how "involved" Wheeling was. I know family had talked about how jumping it was back in the day, but I never realized to this extend. That's pretty cool. I'm from Stwubenville and heard stories of it's past, but didn't realize it was part of Lias's empire.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 13,247 times
Default Big Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janetski View Post
Once "Big Bill: Lias was out of the way Paul "No Legs" Hankish took over the Wheeling area for the Pittsburgh Family.

Remnants of Pittsburgh LCN is as follows:

Thomas "Sonny" Cincutti- Boss of what's left, nobody ever voted him in

John Bazzano Jr. died

Sonny Amato died

Charles "Chucky" Porter not active (Nothing but a Rat)

Wango Capizzi died

Bobby Ianelli was never made, he was an independent bookmaker who paid tribute

Lenny Strollo is in witness protection Well Yes, But he was Release Last year (2008)
From a Federal Prison in Glenville, WV. Lenny has been seen in the Steubenville, OH area with his family members. (I don't think Lenny is needing to much protections these days)

John "Duffy" Connelly is the video poker machine czar who is in federal prison

No he is not in Prison. Duffy served time at The Federal Correctional Institution (FCI) in Elkton, Ohio, Then he was moved to a Pittsburgh Facility before being released on July 27, 2009
(Noticed His Name spelled correctly by me)(Conley)

By [EMAIL="jcato@tribweb.com"]Jason Cato[/EMAIL]
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, May 14, 2006

Duffy Conley parked in front of a red brick church in downtown Carnegie one January morning, but he wasn't there to pray.
The former kingpin of an illegal video poker empire in Pittsburgh was headed to his rented office at Citadel Financial, housed in the former First Baptist Church on Roberts Avenue.
State and federal investigators, however, beat him there. They were swarming over the office, confiscating computers and sports betting slips.
Conley's arrival gave them more. He was carrying papers detailing illegal video poker transactions and machine locations, and an address book with the names and numbers of bookmakers and ex-cons, including some connected to organized crime, state police said.
The evidence collected Jan. 18 and three months of wiretaps temporarily landed Conley, 43, in the Allegheny County Jail for violating the conditions of his supervised release from federal prison, where he served time for a previous gambling conviction.
On Wednesday, he'll be back in federal court in Pittsburgh as prosecutors try to send him back to prison for two years.
State and federal authorities continue to investigate a multimillion-dollar gambling ring involving what's left of Pittsburgh's LaRocca/Genovese organized crime clan -- considered the strongest of Pennsylvania's three Mafia families until several convictions in the 1990s and the aging of its most influential members helped precipitate its decline.
Conley -- whose gambling operations are linked to the mob -- is at the heart of the probe, investigators say.
"He spoke to every bookie we're aware of in Allegheny County," Paul Marraway, an agent with the state Attorney General's office, said during a Feb. 8 hearing in Pittsburgh before U.S. Magistrate Judge Francis X. Caiazza. "And many of these people are associated with organized crime."
Those include Christopher Paul Hankish, 43, the son of a notorious Wheeling, W.Va., crime boss; and fellow Citadel Financial employee Salvatore A. "Sonny" Williams, 49, whose father ran one of Pittsburgh's largest gambling empires. Both sons did time for their involvement in organized crime.
State investigators say Conley's recent gambling operation included contact with Ralph "Big Head" Maselli and John V. "Johnny A" Adams, both of whom have long ties to the Pittsburgh Mafia, according to reports for the now defunct Pennsylvania Crime Commission.
Investigators said they recorded Conley's telephone conversations for months, and intercepted numerous calls between Conley and the four men they say are associated with organized crime.
Marraway said the topic was always the same -- gambling. And the amount wagered was staggering. Conley moved more than $3 million in sports bets in one month last fall.
Conley's father laughed when asked about his son's involvement with mobsters. "I don't know anything about organized crime," said John F. "Jack" Conley, of Robinson.

Christopher Hankish is out of prison, but not active

Well this is another somewhat truth.
Christopher Paul Hankish Passed away in his apartment in Scott Township. PA on September 19,2008
and never went to prison at all for his involment with "Duffy" Conley

The facts are that Sports Gambling (spot sheets, bookies ect.) in Wheeling WV area had been under control of Chris Hankish for some time and before Him, His father Paul "No Legs Hankish operated for decades for the Pittsbugh Family.

My Father used to work for Paul "No Legs" Hankish, He Also retired as a Racing Judge at Wheeling Downs in Wheeling WV. before Passing from Thyroid Cancer.
He used to laugh at how much money was leaving the track everyday on Sports Gambling.

Chris Hankish had an Assiociate hired at Wheeling Downs in early 80's' His name was John Gorby also used the name "little John" His job was to set up a network from Dog Racing Patrons to Sports gambling for Hankish and the Pittsbugh Family.

In the early 90's Chris Hankish served time in a federal Facility for a unrelated Charge.
Appointing his Assiociate John "Little John" Gorby as his financial advisor.

Conley's sports-betting ring handled $3 million in wagers in less than a month in 2005.

The last time Pittsburgh made members was in 1986/1987- Chuck Porter in 86 and Lenny
(I think this is true, But why be a made member if it only gets the heat on you??)
just a thought.

I agree with JCB1977 there is to much B.S. coming from the Feds.

I have no affiliation with anyone.
Goodbye.

Information data was retieved from
"Real life La Cosa Nostra" 2009
My father was Big Joe worked for Paul outta Wheeling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia