Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 13,770 times
When I was going to school in the early 80's in Huntington, West Virginia there was alot of organized crime in the area. A friend knew a guy who used to collect bets from people who owed money. One bar that used to take bets was the Varsity it was owned by a ganster named Dominic Selliti. They were very bad people.

Last edited by formerthug; 04-16-2010 at 10:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:08 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,039,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
"Big Bill" Lias was reputed to be the kingpin in the Wheeling/Weirton area, with ties to the mob in Steubenville and Cleveland. Supposedly he was big in numbers and bootlegging.
There was never any Cosa Nostra in Wheeling. The underworld there was always local in nature but they had an accomodation with the Mafia along county lines. On the West Virginia "side" of the river that was the Brooke County line, on the Ohio side it was Jefferson County. In other words, in Steubenville, Weirton, and Follansbee the Mafia held sway. South of that it was the Wheeling/Bellaire locals which included, but certainly was not limited to Bill Lias (who had no Italian ancestry as far as I know). He was either Greek or Lebanese American... I'm not certain which.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:02 AM

7 posts, read 39,559 times
I have heard stories about Mafia in Charleston, Clarksburg, Fairmont, Wheeling, etc., and also in the coalfields. However, I am most interested in organized crime in Charleston as I am researching for a book. I am a Charleston native and am looking specifically for information about events that occurred in the late 1960s and early 1970s involving organized crime figures, police officers and/or political figures.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:46 PM

4 posts, read 53,963 times
Default How really can say they knew these guys for real

Look everyone in valley herd of these guys even none italian people it was no secret who these guys are there was and is alot more then those guys listed in area who are mafia paul is dead died in prison so didnt his under boss buddy jacovetti now chris died also the old guys are either dead or retired thats facts and the rest are trying to be quit feds cleaned up area so if there around they dont want to be listed you know what i mean

Old 08-01-2010, 08:54 PM

Look the mob has and is all over valley there business is low key stuff aftr all its not major city area but there still money in area you guys know who paul hankish was he was a made man from broooklyn ny and so was his under boss buddy jacovetti there is other familys in area i wont say names if you dont know who they are then there is a reason and if they wanted to be lnown you would

Old 08-01-2010, 08:56 PM

I herd of a little fracton of mafia in fairmont clarksburg and morgantown aera but yes there was a great deal of mob in wheeling most people herd of paul hankish and buddy jacovetti his under boss there is other familys who is there that are mob and there is a reason they are not known you no what i mean

Old 08-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Hey wheling guy you mean Doc charlie maroon yeah he was a mob guy but h was oh bridgeport and ferry he was out of the oh mafia not wheeling

Old 08-01-2010, 11:12 PM

82 posts, read 345,976 times
I bet you play a mean banjo, kid yoat.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 13,309 times
Its pretty well known around southern wv that there was mafia activity around montgomery, mainly in smithers and boomer area years ago. Al Falbo operated a bar/ restraunt/gambling/prost place for yeara there. Hes been dead for years, but his son, Tom, still resides here and is a dentist and owns a coal mining equipment rebuild shop. He was connected up north really well, i know that for a fact, just dont know exactly how. My old man and uncles used to uae his services and gamble and ***** and stuff frequently. Pretty fascinating for that area. Very poor mining area.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:23 AM

537 posts, read 958,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the kid yoat View Post
Look everyone in valley herd of these guys even none italian people it was no secret who these guys are there was and is alot more then those guys listed in area who are mafia paul is dead died in prison so didnt his under boss buddy jacovetti now chris died also the old guys are either dead or retired thats facts and the rest are trying to be quit feds cleaned up area so if there around they dont want to be listed you know what i mean
wtf??? ok maybe you cant spell too well but could you at least try adding a period or two there's a reason they've been popular for thousands of years thank you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia