Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 08:41 AM

19,353 posts, read 9,427,132 times

Advertisements

No Dave and Buster's (D&B's), no Game Works, no Buzztime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:52 PM

25 posts, read 50,994 times
I personally think Buffalo Wild Wings sucks. You pay too much and leave hungry. Not my type of restaurant if you know what I mean.

Old 07-11-2009, 06:33 AM

5 posts, read 10,908 times
Default Planning?

I wonder if the 'city fathers' will ever get a clue that a light is needed at the bottom of the ramp from northbound I-81 and that all these lights need to be timed? It's a mess down there at rush hour between people trying to get into the mall and going home. All the widening of the exit ramp accomplished is stacking up traffic 3 deep instead of one by one. Small solace for those trying to turn left or turn right to get into the mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
I took a ride up to The Commons today for a sneak peak. I must say its one of the better looking shopping centers around. The parking lot had a decent amount of cars, I imagine for stocking and training. The small shops along the interstate are still under construction, so that is why we haven't seen many permits for small stores/restaurants.

Bed Bath and Beyond is open for business. It must have opened today, there is a large grand opening banner on the front of the building. I did not stop in, but there were quite a few cars there for a surprise opening. I also passed several nosey people, like myself, just looking around.

As far as access goes if you are coming southbound on 81 getting off at the 12 it is very easy to get into The Commons. If you are coming northbound 81 from Inwood or Winchester it looks like trouble. Thats a very difficult left to make, especially afternoon and evening. To be honest those folks might be better off going up to exit 13 and heading back.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:14 AM

25 posts, read 50,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusfeather View Post
I wonder if the 'city fathers' will ever get a clue that a light is needed at the bottom of the ramp from northbound I-81 and that all these lights need to be timed? It's a mess down there at rush hour between people trying to get into the mall and going home. All the widening of the exit ramp accomplished is stacking up traffic 3 deep instead of one by one. Small solace for those trying to turn left or turn right to get into the mall.

That is true cause when I go to get on the ramp to go south on 81 Its hard to see where to turn cause its so dark and then during the day the traffic is so backed up trying to turn into the mall and going straight that its hard to turn left or right coming off the exit which definitely backs up traffic on the ramp.

Old 07-11-2009, 07:47 PM

240 posts, read 828,076 times
The Herald Mail had an article today on The Commons:

The Herald-Mail

The developer stated that the anchors are 100% occupied and 15-20 small shops should be leased by the end of the year. He credits Target's investment as the backing of the whole project and estimated that The Commons total investment is $80 million or more and will create more than 1,000 jobs.

$80 million WOW

Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 PM

380 posts, read 1,155,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusfeather View Post
With all the retail congestion there now, we really need some sort of a Rt9 bypass that would head south-west at the queen street ramp area, maybe using the access to the ginormous, never ending concrete plant, (those towers are so tall now, I think you can see up from the dry run road bridge across back creek) and heading straight over to an I-81 N/S ramp. This could be connected to the ever-proposed, never acted on bypass on the East side. As the dual lane rt 9 is completed and Jefferson County, hopefully, attracts some more industry, there could be a steady stream of big rigs coming through there from I-81.

I love the idea of having these new stores, but I always plan to avoid that section of road. I still end up going through there a few times a week though; so many foreclosure appraisals in the gallery.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:53 PM

240 posts, read 828,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintsullivan View Post
With all the retail congestion there now, we really need some sort of a Rt9 bypass that would head south-west at the queen street ramp area, maybe using the access to the ginormous, never ending concrete plant, (those towers are so tall now, I think you can see up from the dry run road bridge across back creek) and heading straight over to an I-81 N/S ramp. This could be connected to the ever-proposed, never acted on bypass on the East side. As the dual lane rt 9 is completed and Jefferson County, hopefully, attracts some more industry, there could be a steady stream of big rigs coming through there from I-81.

I love the idea of having these new stores, but I always plan to avoid that section of road. I still end up going through there a few times a week though; so many foreclosure appraisals in the gallery.
Thats actually a great idea for a "south end bypass". It could use the Queen street ramp go around the essroc property and head to I 81 between the Purple Iris area and Pikeview acres and create an exit 10 or something. This will never happen, but its a great idea because most of the traffic heads to the interstate.

I read somewhere where the south end of Martinsburg (the intersection of Rt.9, US11, and Rt.45) is the busiest intersection in WV. I think they could have 8 lanes and traffic would still get backed up through there. Recently all 6 stop lights were upgraded from NY Ave to The Commons development. It has helped some, but I still don't think they are synchronized.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,493,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD35 View Post
Thats actually a great idea for a "south end bypass". It could use the Queen street ramp go around the essroc property and head to I 81 between the Purple Iris area and Pikeview acres and create an exit 10 or something. This will never happen, but its a great idea because most of the traffic heads to the interstate.

I read somewhere where the south end of Martinsburg (the intersection of Rt.9, US11, and Rt.45) is the busiest intersection in WV. I think they could have 8 lanes and traffic would still get backed up through there. Recently all 6 stop lights were upgraded from NY Ave to The Commons development. It has helped some, but I still don't think they are synchronized.
I'm now calling Rt. 45 between The Commons and past Essroc Dulles Parkway because that's what it reminds me of everytime I'm stuck there. It's almost like some of those cars come out of nowhere because you have traffic from Rt. 9, Winchester Ave., some traffic from the Queen St. exit, Lowe's, Foxcroft, 81, and now The Commons yet still you sit (literally) and wonder where all these cars came from (at least I do). The bypass is a great idea and should really be considered but I'm sure that would get congested as well.

Also, RD35, the article you posted (which was great BTW) mentioned that there was "another center like The Commons under way in the area, this one got under the wire". I'm guessing there referring to the "Martinsburg Plaza" project. -mmccul

Old 07-17-2009, 06:47 PM

I just got home from Bed Bath & Beyond for the first time. I was immediately impressed with the store as soon as I walked in. Everything is very nicely organized, the employees are extremely friendly, and the store couldn't have been any cleaner. I've always liked Bed Bath & Beyond, but know I like it even more now that it's in my hometown. In conclusion, it is a beautiful store with great staff!!! -mmccul

Old 07-18-2009, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleicarG View Post
I am new with this. Hello to you all.

I just moved from Alexandria, VA to Martinsburg, WV a year ago. When I moved here, I dont see Starbucks around here but that s ok. I know Winchester, VA and Hagerstown, MD do have starbuck coffee when I go to shopping on the weekend sometime.

I know I heard a new Target store will be in our area (Martinsburg, WV) next year 2009, I am curious about it. What about STARBUCKS COFFEE? Are we going to have new a Starbucks in Target? I hope so.
Starbucks inside the Martinsburg Target is now confirmed:

Starbucks Store Locator--Store Detail

-mmccul
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia