U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 01:19 PM

2 posts, read 13,952 times

Advertisements

Yeah ! all those Roads are bad by nature but RT 20 to Rt 7 and all the way to moundsville is alful bad with pot hole mines all over the road you cant dive 10 yards with out hitting one every time. I replace roators Disks breaks and front end alinements all year long thanks WV road repaires system they set up like there going to put down new blacktop and then just patch it up and lie to us again next year I live on Jones Run Road in Harrsion Co that is another Road I can tell they plan to never fix there is a sign there now with suvay sticks marking where they will be laying new blacktop along with a blinking light showing that road work is a head ? LOL WHAT ROAD WORK? WHEN? Its been there for 2 mounths now and they have done nothing and ill bet they never will I have been living there for 10 years and they have beeen saying and not doing anything
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM

2 posts, read 13,952 times
Will Jones Run Road be Deilt with CON Sol coal trucks tear up the road every day and nothing is ever done untill everyone says something. We can hardly aford to live on the road we pay a TAX and see nothing but a patch here and there with some rocks throwen over a pot hole or two I could do better than that if i had a tractor or some thing. Help us On Jones Run Road HELP! Where are our Tax DAllars going? because why are we paying and seeing nothing from it.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,220,904 times
Without a doubt.. the worst road to drive is US 33 over Allegheny Mountain on the Randolph County / Pendelton County line. It's hard to tell how many people have been killed on that mountain. Usually it's about 2 people a year. There is even a turn called the widow-maker... creepy huh? Trucks either forget to check their brakes at the top of the hill, or underestimate just how steep the mountain is and without a runaway truck ramp... :/ it usually doesn't end well. There is one turn that scares me to death.. It's like you're right on a cliff looking straight down...oh about 2,000 feet to the riverbed below... AHHhhh lol

Old 06-07-2011, 08:27 PM

5,310 posts, read 6,608,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post
I know people hate to drive from Man to Logan on the old Route 10. Or Route 52 (Tolsia Highway) from Williamson to Kenova. But for me, it is Route 54 from Beckley to Mullens. Since there is so little economic activity in Mullens, many of the people must drive to Beckley for jobs or shopping or doctors or whatever. The road is an unpleasant mix of slow, elderly, retired people and hyper, younger, impatient drivers. They typical experience for me on it is to follow a slow old man in a two tone truck going about 40 mph with a young girl in a small red car behind me about to blow a gasket because she would rather go 70 mph.

So how about it? Route 52 from Bluefield to Welch? Route 35 to Point Pleasant? U.S. 219? Route 2 along the Ohio River? Heck, a lot of people would list the WV Turnpike, not just because you have to pay tolls to drive on a twisty road with a rough, washboard like surface that should have been given to WVDOT years ago, but also due to the driving habits of people from Ohio and Michigan.

The driving habits of Ohio and Michigan people are complete opposites.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:33 AM

40 posts, read 86,682 times
I got to admit that the Route 33 Allegheny Mountain portion from the Randolph/Pendleton line can be very dangerous. I have drove it so many times that I don't mind it and I enjoy the mountain driving all the way to Elkins or over towards Parsons. My family drives cattle trailers over it pretty often, and it is at its worst during a big winter storm. That turn with the dropoff is pretty famous in the area, and I recall the story my grandpa told of when he was one of the first to arrive when somebody went over it and killed the driver. The horseshoe turn towards the bottom of the mountain always seems to have a big truck take out the guardrail every year.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM

9,399 posts, read 11,455,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeplitzskin View Post
Will Jones Run Road be Deilt with CON Sol coal trucks tear up the road every day and nothing is ever done untill everyone says something. We can hardly aford to live on the road we pay a TAX and see nothing but a patch here and there with some rocks throwen over a pot hole or two I could do better than that if i had a tractor or some thing. Help us On Jones Run Road HELP! Where are our Tax DAllars going? because why are we paying and seeing nothing from it.
You want to know where the tax dollars are going? They are being squandered on basically needless construction projects for pork barrell reasons in areas of declining or static population, ignoring the real needs in areas with positive growth and potential. It is business as usual for politics in our state, explaining in large measure the reason for our problems in terms of national perception. Some of the coal belt roads that have been built hardly have any traffic load at all.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:41 PM

388 posts, read 659,283 times
While I'm not familiar with most of the roads listed here, I'm gonna put my vote in WV Route 46 between Keyser and Piedmont in Mineral County. It's an extremely narrow, windy road with sharp, angular turns, dips, and the constantly looming danger of falling rocks. As if that weren't enough, it hovers high on the edge of a cliff. One wrong move and a guardrail is the only thing keeping you from falling to your shallow Potomac grave. There's one spot in the road where you can actually see it zigzag in front of you. It's pretty cool. Mineral County school buses transporting kids from Piedmont to the schools in Keyser and vice versa actually cross the river into Maryland and take Route 135, which parallels 46 in the valley below, and then cross the river again back into West Virginia.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:11 PM

566 posts, read 1,373,803 times
Here's an example of wasted highway money. I-77 at Parkersburg being changed to six lanes from Rt.47 to US 50. The overpass and river bridges did need attention, but the extra lanes are not warranted by traffic or accident history.

Six lanes with a concrete divider wall and you are hard pressed to see more than 20 cars at any time, including both sides of the interstate. It's a nice smooth road for now, where it's finished, but the extra two lanes belonged on a rough road somewhere else.

While I have my soapbox out....

Why, oh why, do we keep the manhole covers in the traffic lanes? We rebuild roads to a nice smooth surface and keep the round speedbumps in the lanes decade after decade. It's usually the manhole covers that become the problem first, most of time as soon as they cut the new road to expose them. When we dig up a roadbed, we should put the access covers in the curb or parking lane.

Have to give praise to the decision to pave more secondary roads. A couple of roads I travel finally got wider and smoother. Not the ridiculous 3' wide strip paving, but paved from berm to berm and far enough to get rid of the bumps.

Now if they could just teach snowplow drivers not to peel up the asphalt each winter. Seems like there could be a snowplow with a sacrificial blade that wears away instead of shoving millions of dollars of asphalt into the ditches every time it snows. Smart plows that don't exert tons of pressure when it's not always needed, just some way to preserve the roads for three to four months.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:09 PM

3,237 posts, read 4,851,459 times
I can think of many, but the Thurmond-McKendree Rd between Thurmond and Prince in Fayette county is singlehandedly the worst road I have ever drive on in my life.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:13 PM

3,237 posts, read 4,851,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by italianbluesboy View Post

So how about it? Route 52 from Bluefield to Welch? Route 35 to Point Pleasant? U.S. 219? Route 2 along the Ohio River? Heck, a lot of people would list the WV Turnpike, not just because you have to pay tolls to drive on a twisty road with a rough, washboard like surface that should have been given to WVDOT years ago, but also due to the driving habits of people from Ohio and Michigan.
Rt. 52 from Bluefield to Welch is nothing. Try the Davy-Roderfield Rd between Welch and Davy in McDowell County or SR 61 between DeepWater and Page in Kanawha County, or even US 60 between Gauley and Ansted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia