Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:18 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,309,021 times

Advertisements

Everybody loved Arch and I did too...I think the daughter is very bright and doing a good job for us...people liked to give Arch the money...he was just forgetfull about who gave it to him and when he really got forgetfull...they put him in jail...only federal prison with a golf course...near Atlanta.

Years ago we dined with a doctor and his wife at a place in Bridgeport...Green Acres, I think...nice dinner and the surprise entertainment was a strip tease in Arch's honor..He sat at the table beside us...It was a hoot...so comical...Our ladies had never seen that kind of show...and it was a treat to watch the faces at the other tables...blood pressure was up that evening...I was laughing so hard I almost had a heart attack...those were the days...and these are the days too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 03:32 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
My mistake, and my apologies to Gov. Smith. I just checked wikipedia and wvculture.org, and neither mention any incarcerations.

Cecil Underwood preceded Barron, Arch Moore followed Smith... who was governor after Hulett Smith? Was that Jay???

Old 05-07-2008, 03:50 PM

I was just a kid but Wally Barron and Hulett Smith were buddies..one campaigned for the other...in the early 60's when we were really involved in politics...a civic's teacher fuled that competition with class debates...must have been 7th or 8th grade...I remember having a lot of campaign buttons that election....skipped school to go to Demo Headquarters to get them....missed a class or two as we walked about 2 miles.

Jennings Randolph set Jaybird up to be his replacement...that was about 1978, in July...told me about it in his office one afternoon...I wanted to puke right there.
No stopping that New York money, though..25 yrs of doing nothing...at least nothing crimminal....If he and RCB had worked as a team we would have had the ENTIRE state on easy street...Sen. Byrd disliked rocky's family for who they were and what they had done, particularly Nelson.

Last edited by David Kennedy; 05-07-2008 at 04:00 PM..

Old 05-07-2008, 07:35 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,396 times
I think 857 that goes north from Monongalia co.to Pa is pretty bad--especially Darnell rd where there is a 90 degree turn. MANY accidents have occured there (you can see the guard rails are often mangled.) My cousin was in a serious wreck on that road when she was a student at WVU and broke her jaw and sustained a serious concussion. If you go too quickly aroung that curve,or it is icy,it,s easy to have an accident. Eventually,at least I keep hearing, rt 43 will connect Rt 68 and go straight from Morgantown to near Pittsburgh,but I've been hearing this for ages. Maybe one day the road will be finished!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:46 PM

The part north of the border is finished, has been for several years. I think they're working on the last two or three miles in WV, to hook up with I-68 at Cheat Lake.

Once on 43, you can go all the way to Clairton. But the last few miles into Pittsburgh have been mired in politics and funding issues, and may never be built.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 PM

531 posts, read 1,743,396 times
Yes,the road just sort of stops about 3 miles north of WV line. They really need to get the last few miles built. It's a scenic road but that small part north of Cheat Lake can be hazardous.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:54 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,987,863 times
Has anyone driven from Elkins to the Mouth of Seneca before?!?!?!?! Given it may be one of the most beautiful drives in the East, with spectacular mountain views. It is one of the worst roads to drive in my opinion. Winding over the mountains, trucks blocking traffic, etc. Plus there is one turn where it appears you're going right over the cliff, and it goes on the edge of it. I don't know how it hasn't fallen off over the years.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:00 AM

Give up on that one...GHO, that road is a great road...rivals some of the montain passes in Oregon near Mt Hood. That portion of highway is a part of WV that everyone should experience...and from the back seat of a Harley mind you...great stopping place at that old store at Seneca...GHO you need a little Sportster to get you around this summer when you get home...

Old 05-09-2008, 09:18 AM

That's US-33, isn't it? Definitely a "sporting" road, great for a bike or one of my old Spitfires.

Wasn't the original thought that Corridor H would more or less follow 33, before they shifted the alignment more to the north, thru Thomas?

Old 05-09-2008, 09:27 AM

175 posts, read 564,828 times
My girlfriend and I toured around in that area on our Harley a few years back. We "home based" at Mountain Lake Campground in Summersville in the Toy Hauler and made daily road trips of a couple hundred miles or so round trip. My greatest fear was the logging trucks that always seemed to be behind us on the two lane winding roads. They can handle curves faster than a big motorcycle can safely negotiate and like to stay right in your butt. I pulled over many times and just let them pass. It's hard to enjoy the ride and scenery with several thousand pounds of logs trying to run up your back!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia