U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 03:31 AM

7,670 posts, read 13,332,796 times

Advertisements

I can move this to the Morgantown page if you believe it will work better there. I only live 2.5 hours away in VA and would like to take a couple days to visit some small towns in WV. I real an article highlighting some local foods there and they sound good but now I cannot find it. Is there enough to see in this and surrounding areas where I can spend a couple days?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 06:25 AM

15,775 posts, read 14,222,402 times
If you are coming from the east, you will drive through the Seneca Rocks area and Elkins to get to Buckhannon. Just past Buckhannon on the other side of I-79 is Weston, where the Trans-Alleghany Luntic Asylum is located. It is open for tours. All of the small cities have their own local eating establishments. In Elkins, I recomment Big Timber Brewing Company.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:26 PM

1,972 posts, read 4,253,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
I can move this to the Morgantown page if you believe it will work better there. I only live 2.5 hours away in VA and would like to take a couple days to visit some small towns in WV. I real an article highlighting some local foods there and they sound good but now I cannot find it. Is there enough to see in this and surrounding areas where I can spend a couple days?
Bigfoot- Since I know from posting with you in the past that you live in the Shenandoah Valley, I think it would be good to consider taking US48 exit off of I-81 in Strasburg Va and heading over the mountains onto a largely four lane Corridor H (still US 48) and first checking out Davis and Thomas in the Canaan Valley/ Blackwater Falls area of WV. Rather small towns but a number of good restaurants, bars, lodging, etc. Now is a good time to go before they get really packed during ski season. Then you could head from Canaan Valley to Elkins which is probably a 30 ish minute drive and then to Buchannon. Let me know if you want some advice on places to eat drink and visit!

Old 09-06-2021, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Bigfoot- Since I know from posting with you in the past that you live in the Shenandoah Valley, I think it would be good to consider taking US48 exit off of I-81 in Strasburg Va and heading over the mountains onto a largely four lane Corridor H (still US 48) and first checking out Davis and Thomas in the Canaan Valley/ Blackwater Falls area of WV. Rather small towns but a number of good restaurants, bars, lodging, etc. Now is a good time to go before they get really packed during ski season. Then you could head from Canaan Valley to Elkins which is probably a 30 ish minute drive and then to Buchannon. Let me know if you want some advice on places to eat drink and visit!
Thanks and I will take you up on this. I am not sure I can do this before leaf peeping season starts and I won't try during without reservations. (Meaning unlikely). If I wait then it leaves less time before winter hits but leaf watching is not what I am looking for anyway. And 48 is the way I would go since I live near it anyway.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
If you are coming from the east, you will drive through the Seneca Rocks area and Elkins to get to Buckhannon. Just past Buckhannon on the other side of I-79 is Weston, where the Trans-Alleghany Luntic Asylum is located. It is open for tours. All of the small cities have their own local eating establishments. In Elkins, I recomment Big Timber Brewing Company.
Seneca Rocks was a favorite riding destination when I could still ride my motorcycle and I love that area.

Old 09-06-2021, 06:42 PM

456 posts, read 538,002 times
I live in Elkins which is like 25 minutes from Buckhannon. We have some great diming choices in Elkins. Smoke on the water and the Alpine both outside of Elkins towards Harman on old 33 are great. The Forks is a little more high end and you may need reservations there and the other two are closed a couple of days of the week. We have Vintage, Benders, CJ Maggies, 1863 Bistro, Scotties, Mamma Mia Pie and Pasta, and El Gran Sabor. Check out Byde's Donuts and Tip Top Coffee and a drink later at Big Timber Brewing which is also available and many of these restaurants. When in Buckhannon a must-stop is Fish Hawk Acres they only have an outdoor setting but they have great food, baked goods as well as a meat market and store. I love that place. Stone Tower Brews has coffee and drinks and some great street tacos as well as other choices. Mama Roma's is decent Italian with big portions and Buchannon also has a C.J Maggies. The donut Shop is a great donut shop. Outside of town is Hillbilly Grill which is decent but in the middle of nowhere. Weston 15 minutes to the west of Buchannon has a great BBQ spot not open long called South Texas BBQ and the Thyme Bistro both ib downtown and near the old mental hospital is also a must-see. There are tours but you will have to look it up. Its full name is the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. If you want scenery go east of Elkins and you have Canaan Valley resort with a beautiful restaurant overlooking the valley. There is also Blackwater Falls Resort with a nice restaurant. Davis a small town near Blackwater Falls has some unique shops along with Sirianni's Cafe and the ice cream shop as well as other unique restaurants. Thomas two miles away has the Purple Fiddle with live music and Mountain State Brewery and Farm Up Table restaurant. Feel free to ask questions about particular places. A great little Swiss town south of Elkins Helvetia is a great stop with a great little restaurant called the Hutte but I'm not sure if they are doing dine-in now. I would check the days and hours for any of these places.

Old 09-07-2021, 02:59 AM

Someone else also recommended the Hutte but it is carryout only but still ample choices. I'll be overwhelmed trying to figure this all out.

Old 09-07-2021, 10:05 AM

As far as Davis and Thomas go, keep in mind most places (Not all, but many) will only be open Thursday- Sunday so check ahead before you go.

In Thomas you will find the Purple Fiddle right on the Main Street. It has live music on weekend nights so make sure to take a look at the schedule. Menu is mostly sandwiches and wraps as of now with Covid but great beers. A neighboring bar and restaurant called Tip Top has rotating food specials. Mountain State Brewing is in Thomas as your are leaving town- not a big food menu but they have a great BBQ truck parked in the back lot.

In Davis- right along the main street you have the following: Siriannis which has great pizzas and some limited other Italian options. It can get rather crowded. The Sawmill Restaurant at the Alpine Lodge is an old school looking place to get a great country breakfast. You won't regret it. A pub called Wicked Wilderness - open only on weekends but great place to watch football or have some after ski beers and pub food. Stumptown Ales is a brewery. A new called Milos also opened up recently and the menu looked great when I was there with the family a month or so ago. We didn't eat there because had so much food at the cabin but will definitely make sure to try next time.

Activities: Hiking the trail down to Blackwater Falls which is beautiful any time of the year. Make sure if in colder months to wear boots as the trail can get icy/ snowy. Especially icy close to the falls with all the mist freezing over. Table Rock - off of Canaan Loop Road- it is a bit of a hike but view is amazing. Dolly Sods a fun place to hike and see arctic type vegetation from the wind blowing. Of course in winter, skiing/ snowboarding and cross-country skiing.There really is a ton to do and explore up there!

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 09-07-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 09-07-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D T WV MOUNTAINS View Post
I live in Elkins which is like 25 minutes from Buckhannon. We have some great diming choices in Elkins. Smoke on the water and the Alpine both outside of Elkins towards Harman on old 33 are great. The Forks is a little more high end and you may need reservations there and the other two are closed a couple of days of the week. We have Vintage, Benders, CJ Maggies, 1863 Bistro, Scotties, Mamma Mia Pie and Pasta, and El Gran Sabor. Check out Byde's Donuts and Tip Top Coffee and a drink later at Big Timber Brewing which is also available and many of these restaurants. When in Buckhannon a must-stop is Fish Hawk Acres they only have an outdoor setting but they have great food, baked goods as well as a meat market and store. I love that place. Stone Tower Brews has coffee and drinks and some great street tacos as well as other choices. Mama Roma's is decent Italian with big portions and Buchannon also has a C.J Maggies. The donut Shop is a great donut shop. Outside of town is Hillbilly Grill which is decent but in the middle of nowhere. Weston 15 minutes to the west of Buchannon has a great BBQ spot not open long called South Texas BBQ and the Thyme Bistro both ib downtown and near the old mental hospital is also a must-see. There are tours but you will have to look it up. Its full name is the Trans Allegheny Lunatic Asylum. If you want scenery go east of Elkins and you have Canaan Valley resort with a beautiful restaurant overlooking the valley. There is also Blackwater Falls Resort with a nice restaurant. Davis a small town near Blackwater Falls has some unique shops along with Sirianni's Cafe and the ice cream shop as well as other unique restaurants. Thomas two miles away has the Purple Fiddle with live music and Mountain State Brewery and Farm Up Table restaurant. Feel free to ask questions about particular places. A great little Swiss town south of Elkins Helvetia is a great stop with a great little restaurant called the Hutte but I'm not sure if they are doing dine-in now. I would check the days and hours for any of these places.
Oh I forgot about Farm up Table! Good call. Also have enjoyed Alpine outside Elkins! Lots of great stuff up in those WVa mountains.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:54 PM

6,316 posts, read 10,142,661 times
You guys are making me jealous

Sounds like a great time. I have always wanted to try the "new US-48" (the old US-48 because I-68 where I live.)

If nobody minds a piggy back question, any suggestions on outdoor rec. within a 20 minute drive of US-119 in Morgantown? I will likely have 4-5 hours of "free time" there every other Saturday for the next couple of months and am looking for ways to occupy the time. (if mods prefer me to start a fresh thread, just let me know )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia