Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 02:28 PM

152 posts, read 221,398 times

Advertisements

northern WV is colder than NY . so better try sourth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 PM

152 posts, read 221,398 times
try south

Old 11-22-2009, 04:54 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,550 times
Default Elkins

I also think Elkins is beautiful and has a lot going for it. I currently live in Norfolk, Virginia and the property taxes are crazy high. And the price of housing here is also very high.

I'm hoping to move to WV myself in a year or two and Elkins is one of the spots I'm heading for.

I mean look at this photo. What's not to love? This is on Route 250 outside of Elkins.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:03 PM

38 posts, read 318,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I mean look at this photo. What's not to love? This is on Route 250 outside of Elkins.
I love that valley, probably the most beautiful i've seen on the east coast. The actual location is Highland county, Va. Drive west one mile from where this pic was shot is Hightown, Va.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:40 AM

Default location

I'm glad *you* know the location. Sorry to say, all I remember is that it wasn't that far from Elkins and on Route 250. Do you live in that area? If so, you are a very fortunate person!

I'm just enamored of West Virginia. Wish I could figure out how to get there - sooner rather than later. Seems like there really is a post-perfect view around every bend in the road.

Like this one outside of Lewisburg:

Moderator cut: URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 11-26-2009 at 01:49 AM..

Old 11-23-2009, 07:36 PM

38 posts, read 318,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
Do you live in that area? If so, you are a very fortunate person!

I'm just enamored of West Virginia. Wish I could figure out how to get there - sooner rather than later.
Yea, this area is charming to visit. Then you move here and reality sets in. I've been here a little over a year and trust me, living here & visiting are not comparable, not even close. It may be the place for you, with 7 good friends i have that moved here from various midsized cities, the odds are against you.

The nicest statement from any of the 7, "adapting to this area is difficult". He hasn't made the transition yet, 4 years after he moved here. And he grew up in the area. Personally, i doubt i can handle this place 3 years max and then, back to Va.!!

Since i can't abide by the requirement of this site of only posting almost heaven fantasies... Send a PM if you want truths about you likely will encounter locally. Ask questions if any, there's fantastic, ~ good & very bad aspects living here.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,989,325 times
I'm from Elkins, I lived there for 18 years up until college and I love it there and I can't wait to go back tomorrow to see my friends and family. Send me a PM if you want to hear about why I actually like Elkins and want to move back one day. Some people are just miserable no matter where they are and will look for negative things instead of noticing the great things about a place.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 AM

Default Oh wow...

This is fascinating. One fer WV and one agin' WV.

My husband was born and raised in Elkins. He's not so hot on going back, but I want to be far away from the maddening crowds. I'd love nothing more than to live in a little secluded hideaway, with a 2-mile gravel driveway between me and polite society.

The hubby was also raised by a single mom and times were tough for them. The dad took off when hubby was three years old and those growing up years were pretty lean. And yet - he made it through college on scholarships (Davis and Elkins) and graduated second in his class from Washington and Lee with a law degree.

I really can not imagine why he's not chomping at the bit to go back. He tells me he's too "city-fied."

Please contact me and let me know what you don't like/do like about living in West Virginia?

And here's another reason to love West Virginia: They have an abundance of Sears Kit Homes!

Here's the catalog image - from the 1930 Sears Modern Home's catalog, followed by the extant photo:

For more information, click here:
One of my favorite photos of a Sears House | Ugly Womans Guide to Internet Dating

Old 11-28-2009, 06:58 AM

17 posts, read 36,607 times
I've lived recently in both Northern Virginia (DC suburbs) and Morgantown, WV, working comparable jobs. Pros of Morgantown: excellent health care for a small city because of the WVU medical school and hospital, lower housing costs, seventy miles from a real city (Pittsburgh), many locally-owned businesses give the place real character. Cons: rush-hour traffic in some areas rivals Northern Virginia, no Metrorail (the university's PRT mainly serves student areas), fewer job opportunities than DC, seventy mils from a real city.

If you don't require big-city atmosphere and amenities, West Virginia might serve you well, as long as you don't move here with either (1) a chip on your shoulder because you're from such-and-such a place, or (2) a stereotype that West Virginia is all backwoods hillbillies. They're sensitive about stereotypes here.

Old 11-28-2009, 12:42 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,948,424 times
RosemaryT, if you do end up moving to WV, you'll have to come check out the Southside of Huntington if you like Sears houses. I've never researched it myself, but I've heard there are a lot of Sears homes here. There are also a few Lustron houses here which are neat to see as well. Here's a link of some houses including a Lustron home.

Photos of Huntington WV, USA - Road trip! April 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia