Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 01:51 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm hearing ground water is bad. Checking with officials isn't a bad idea. There's arsenic in some ground water here.

I'm throwing a wide net, but WV is very appealing. More to the southern end of the state.
Nobody can give you any help without knowing where you are talking about. Name a town or county.

Old 11-02-2021, 06:26 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Quote:
Oh no. I doubt a check repairs the damage to the water. At least it's something.

I guess if I was looking at a property I can request a well certification.
The leak from the tanks was eventually cleaned up and there is nothing currently in the water that should cause any more concern than any other system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 08:30 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Nobody can give you any help without knowing where you are talking about. Name a town or county.
KY,TN,WV,NC,SC.... That's where I'm looking. Seriously.

It's legend that there have been problems with water in WV. I was able to find some info and folks here have given me good input.
My supervisor (from WA) heard fracking ruined the water. It's nice to hear it from you guys. (I love c-d)
I'm hoping to be rural with enough land to do a little farming.

Old 11-03-2021, 05:12 AM

16,663 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
KY,TN,WV,NC,SC.... That's where I'm looking. Seriously.

It's legend that there have been problems with water in WV. I was able to find some info and folks here have given me good input.
My supervisor (from WA) heard fracking ruined the water. It's nice to hear it from you guys. (I love c-d)
I'm hoping to be rural with enough land to do a little farming.
I don't see how anybody can help you.

It takes 7+ hours, using Interstate highways, to drive from Bluefield to Martinsburg. Fracking has taken place in the areas around Weirton (almost as far from Bluefield) and Morgantown, mostly in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Maybe "legends" and "I heard" aren't accurate sources for information. Find a place that interests you, ask about it, and maybe somebody knows that area.

Old 11-03-2021, 11:32 AM

632 posts, read 831,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I don't see how anybody can help you.

It takes 7+ hours, using Interstate highways, to drive from Bluefield to Martinsburg. Fracking has taken place in the areas around Weirton (almost as far from Bluefield) and Morgantown, mostly in Ohio and Pennsylvania.

Maybe "legends" and "I heard" aren't accurate sources for information. Find a place that interests you, ask about it, and maybe somebody knows that area.
This^

No offense but your supervisor is extremely ignorant. And WV is a big place. You're asking an extremely generic question about life in WV. That's like me asking you what it's like to live in Washington. Well am I asking about Seattle, Pullman, Vancouver, Yakima, or anywhere in between?

Old 11-03-2021, 12:01 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
I'm hearing ground water is bad. Checking with officials isn't a bad idea. There's arsenic in some ground water here.

I'm throwing a wide net, but WV is very appealing. More to the southern end of the state.
Do some searching on satellite imagery and avoid anywhere with mountaintop removal mining going on. Hint: most of the southern 1/3 of the state... Elkins region would be a far better place to look at moving to.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:31 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,310,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Do some searching on satellite imagery and avoid anywhere with mountaintop removal mining going on. Hint: most of the southern 1/3 of the state... Elkins region would be a far better place to look at moving to.
This is great advice.

I spent years moving around for career opportunities. I shied away from WV because of the "bad water" situation.
I'll take this advice.

Old 11-04-2021, 05:16 PM

423 posts, read 1,236,992 times
Years ago there were some issues with water in the southern part of the state due to Union Carbide chemicals spilling into the rivers. I believe that there were well problems also. To my knowledge, much of the fracking industry is located along the Ohio river valley. Vast portions of WV have no issues with drinking water. I'm not sure where you heard that WV has "bad water", but it untrue. I've lived in WV my entire life and have traveled throughout the state without any issues.

As other posters have said, you need to be specific in what part of WV you are considering. If your question is "does the entire state of WV have bad water", then the answer is no.

Old 11-07-2021, 06:20 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Did this pipeline go all the way through? I was around Monroe county a few weeks ago and there were still signs about no pipeline through karst areas (I remember the issue with Snowshoe wanting to bring their sewer system through Slaty Fork years ago)

I found articles from around 2015, sounds like it was being worked on in 2018 - what's the status now? And have any negative impacts been realized, especially in regards to water?

(most of the articles I found had to do with protests)

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/p...aa34c1a4b.html

Old 11-08-2021, 06:59 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Quote:
This is great advice.

I spent years moving around for career opportunities. I shied away from WV because of the "bad water" situation.
I'll take this advice.
Just get over the "bad water paranoia" and you will be fine wherever you land. We have many people in all areas of WV that live into their 90s so it can't be all that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia