Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2023, 05:59 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times

Advertisements

Nice to see things branching out!

The Blade Runners Powering a Wind Farm
In West Virginia, a crew of five watches over twenty-three giant turbines

The state, once shackled to a coal economy, now has about four hundred turbines, which collectively can produce about seven hundred and fifty megawatts—enough to power more than two hundred thousand homes.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ng-a-wind-farm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2023, 11:46 AM

5,044 posts, read 2,398,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Nice to see things branching out!

The Blade Runners Powering a Wind Farm
In West Virginia, a crew of five watches over twenty-three giant turbines

The state, once shackled to a coal economy, now has about four hundred turbines, which collectively can produce about seven hundred and fifty megawatts—enough to power more than two hundred thousand homes.
https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ng-a-wind-farm
Not a fan of the wind machines in the scenic areas. I know the pros and cons but I just personally can't stand them since I lived in Iowa. There it is so bad that at night with all the lights you feel like you are a battery in some matrix meets terminator sort of nether world.

Old 01-17-2023, 08:45 AM

1,084 posts, read 1,882,478 times
Total ruination of our beautiful mountain skylines. I detest them!

At least we can reclaim surface mine property.

Old 01-17-2023, 11:23 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
I'm a tree hugger and I despise windmills as well. May also be cause of dead whales washing up on shore lately. Coal done right with today's technology is still preferable in my book. Provides immensely more job too.

Old 01-17-2023, 12:39 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Agree with the other posters. Windmills on ridge tops are an environmental disaster; a destruction of rare and unique micro-climates with endemic animals and plants, not to mention migration routes for birds. To get the equipment to the ridge top means a destruction similar to coal mining with the destruction of large amounts of forest, construction or roads on ridge sides to haul up heavy equipment, mass leveling and grading of terrain, and the maintenance of grassy areas around the windmills and on the service roads that are corridors for invasive plants to spread onto the ridge tops.

I challenge any and all who support windmills on the high Alleghenies to go visit some ridge tops......go off trail, look around....then go visit a mountain top wind farm and see what was lost to construct it.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:07 PM

19,757 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Well I’ve seen mountaintop removal for coal. Firsthand. Leveled the mountains and deposited the rubble in the creek bottoms below.

I’ve also seen subsidence holes around Clarksburg, horizontal gas drilling ‘ponds’ with slicks of petroleum and lord knows what else. One guy that let me hunt his 300 acres outside of Clarksburg stunk of chemicals. I took a doe whitetail one evening and when I skinned her the slick and smell on the flesh was intolerable. My wife agreed so we took it to the dump.

Pick your poison on your energy resources. None of them are ‘clean’.

Old 01-18-2023, 08:15 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,697,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Well I’ve seen mountaintop removal for coal. Firsthand. Leveled the mountains and deposited the rubble in the creek bottoms below.

I’ve also seen subsidence holes around Clarksburg, horizontal gas drilling ‘ponds’ with slicks of petroleum and lord knows what else. One guy that let me hunt his 300 acres outside of Clarksburg stunk of chemicals. I took a doe whitetail one evening and when I skinned her the slick and smell on the flesh was intolerable. My wife agreed so we took it to the dump.

I agree, I'm no fan of mountaintop removal either.

Old 01-19-2023, 10:08 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

No offense to our fine WV hosts here, but MD does surface mining much better. Upfront bonding for reclamation and laws that require restoration of the original slope and purpose (forest, Ag, etc.) of the land.

Many restored surface mines up here are indistinguishable to the untrained eye from other fields. Of course, you can't destroy the water table and stratified rock and replace it with rubble and expect everything to be as it was, it isn't. We don't allow fracking in Maryland, for better or worse, so I can't speak to natural gas removal other to agree that no form of energy is 'clean' in the way we wish them to be.

This process makes coal mining more expensive, so it is not economically feasible without a subsidy, can't compete with coal mined from less environmentally regulated states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: