Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 05:54 PM

620 posts, read 1,838,671 times

Advertisements

Hi Again! Can anyone out there recommend a motel in Huntington? Nothing fancy, but clean and not too expensive. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suecen View Post
Hi Again! Can anyone out there recommend a motel in Huntington? Nothing fancy, but clean and not too expensive. Thanks!!
There are 2 good hotels that are right downtown and close to everything. They are both on 3rd Avenue and just a few blocks from Pullman Square and each other. The Pullman Plaza hotel is on 3rd between 10th and 11th Streets and the Holiday Inn is between 8th and 9th streets. Here are the links to both.
Pullman Plaza Hotel | Home
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites HUNTINGTON Hotels | HUNTINGTON-CIVIC ARENA | Welcome

If you are planning on taking the train out of Huntington, the train station is on 7th Avenue between 8th Street and 10th Street. Be sure to check out the old train cars and the statue of Collis P. Huntington in front of the station. The statue was actually carved by Gutzon Borglum, of Mount Rushmore fame. While downtown, you might also check out Heritage Village. This is the old train station which is now a restaurant. There is an old train out front and everything.
City of Huntington, West Virginia
Boston Beanery Restaurant & Tavern (http://www.bostonbeanery.com/Huntington.html - broken link)

Also take advantage of being close to Pullman Square and if you have time, stop by Jim's Steak and Spaghetti house on 5th Avenue. It's like a time warp in there. They still have the original seat where JFK sat and they don't even take credit cards! They just celebrated their 70th Anniversary today. Jim’s celebrates milestone in family fashion - Huntington, WV -- The Herald-Dispatch
Hope this has been helpful and let me know if you need anything else.
Tim

Old 06-10-2008, 08:31 AM

Thank you so much, Tim! I'm getting excited already thinking about going. Yes I'm familiar with Borglum from Mt. Rushmore (that's very interesting!). We're from WI and know virtually nothing about West Virginia. I do have a friend who married somebody from Morgantown and that's about it. As I think of more questions I'll definitely post again. Thanks - very much appreciated!!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:47 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
Ask any questions you want and I'll do my best to help in any way I can!
Tim

Old 06-10-2008, 05:21 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,897 times
Many folks already covered it.
Also, Black Water Falls and the old mental institution in Weston. I remember when it was up and running.
Image:Weston State Hospital.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
There are many gothic locations in WV too.

Now, for poops and giggles. If you want to see ghost tours in WV, make sure you go out and rent the move "Silent Hill" before you come
Story is placed in a fictional West Virginia town called Silent Hill.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:44 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,891 times
My favorite route included, Blackwater Falls, Jennings Randolph Lake (the waffle rock), Spruce Knob (highest point in WV), Seneca Rocks (and the store at Mouth of Seneca), Dolly Sods and Bahre Rocks. All of these are within a reasonably close proximity to each other, but it can become a whirlwind tour if you see them all in the same day. If you take the hiking trail to the top of Seneca Rocks, it takes up some time (there are also horse rentals). And the drive up to Spruce Knob and back is 12 mi. Be aware that, sometimes in the Fall, the weather at the tops of Spruce Knob, Dolly Sods, and Bahre Rocks can be much different than in the valleys.

Then you can move on south to Cass Scenic Railroad or Droop Mountain Battlefield as mentioned earlier.

We had a two day route we took every fall. Which included all the above and the New River Gorge Bridge which should not be missed if at all possible.

If you're using Rt. 50 into Parkersburg (my hometown), you'll cross over Blennerhassett Island State Park on the new bridge which just won an international award. And there are hourly sternwheeler trips down the Ohio River to the island where you can tour the Blennerhasset mansion.
TR

Old 06-12-2008, 07:49 PM

Thank you, TR. It seems like there is so much to see and do I'll have to come back many times!!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,257 times
Default Wv

I have been to WV many times in the last 16 yrs. I lived there for 6yrs also so in that time I found that there are so many things to see and do. Since you like history, you're going to love WV. Try Talcott WV for a lesson on John Henry. Hinton WV has fun things around the town, the square is pretty and has some great shops where you can find wonderful deals. I agree with some of the other contributors also on the Mystery Hole. It is alot of fun and it is in Ansted WV not too far from Hawks Nest SP, which is also a great place to visit. They have a sky tram and jet boat rides and great places to eat. Lewisburg has caverns to explore that are inexpensive and White Sulpher Springs is home to the Greenbriar Hotel which hides an underground bunker. Isn't Point Pleasant the home of the MOTHMAN? That would be fun. Meadow Bridge WV is off of I-64 and Route 20, they have the oldest still running Drive-In movie theater with the best food ever cooked for fast food! You get 2 newer movies for $2 per person, i think its open May- Sept!! Hope you have fun. I'm getting ready to take my hubby up there this weekend for a week. We're going river rafting. Oh don't forget to go to the Vistors Center in Fayetteville and see the New River Gorge! Lots of good things there!

Old 06-23-2008, 10:48 AM

348 posts, read 1,051,520 times
Try to visit the Swiss town called Helvetia. Read more at It's Only Life, After All: Helvetia, West Virginia

Old 06-24-2008, 05:29 PM

Thanks!! I'm getting so excited to head down your way. Thanks to everybody for all your helpful information - you guys are SO friendly; I really appreciate that. Although I've lived in WI all my life I always felt I was meant to be in the south - God bless, Sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia