U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 03:27 PM

251 posts, read 829,789 times

Advertisements

I am looking at both the tri cities area of johnsonville, kingsport, and bristol and im also interested in the area surrounding morgantown all the way to the va border. i need some help to narrow it down some. this is what i want.

At least some rugged hills prefer mountains
low crime not murders everyday etc etc
decent economy and a chance to find work i have a cdl and also have factory experience, wife has deli experience.
rent prices in the range of 300-600$ a month
near a larger town with things to do malls,sports events etc etc
good place to raise children with things for them to do.
Good area to homeschool, i would like somewhere with museums, arts cultural things for them to do,also a place with parks
prefer a population of at least 2,000 with a larger town near by.
prefer being close to a major thoroughfare. interstate,highway something
allowed to carry a concealed weapon, im real big on the 2nd ammendment.

So am i asking to much? if so and i can not find these things in this area then where can i find it? most states this side of the mississippi i am open to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 04:29 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,401,953 times
statistics at this website will help you compare things for yourself apples to apples scale. Once you've narrowed down your choices, you could always take a family trip around to check out the local flavor. Plenty of camping/outdoor recreation throughout the state to stay at as vacation, drive into town for dinner to get your toes wet.

Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, house prices, home value estimator, recent sales, maps, race, income, photos, education, crime, weather, houses, and more

Old 06-06-2008, 08:09 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,829,295 times
I'd look at Morgantown, Charleston, Teays Valley area (Putnam County between Charleston and Huntington) , or Huntington. (Of course, there is always the Eastern Panhandle but I am not as familiar with it. Also, parts of it are becoming basically a suburb of DC).

At least some rugged hills prefer mountains -- Do you have to live in them or near them? We have wonderful mountain playgrounds a couple hours drive from towns mentioned. Canaan Valley, Fayetteville area, etc.

low crime not murders everyday etc etc - All town mentioned have pretty low crime rates. For REAL low, check out the tiny towns in WV but jobs more scarce.

decent economy and a chance to find work i have a cdl and also have factory experience, wife has deli experience - MoTown was recently on some kind of list about being recession proof because of WVU. Toyota Plant in Buffalo (not far froms Teay Valley area) is investing a lot of money in the plant (was just in our paper but I did not read the details). Don't know what this means in way of jobs. In Charleston, a lot of the factory jobs (chemical)have gone away or downsized in the last few years.

rent prices in the range of 300-600$ a month - House or apartment? I think you can find places for $500-$600 in all three towns. MoTown I would guess is the highest (pay more for less) because of the demand due to the college students.

near a larger town with things to do malls,sports events etc - Find in all towns mentioned

good place to raise children with things for them to do - Yes.

Good area to homeschool, i would like somewhere with museums, arts cultural things for them to do,also a place with parks - Yes we have them but not like in a city like NY or something

prefer a population of at least 2,000 with a larger town near by - Look at Poca, WV.

prefer being close to a major thoroughfare. interstate,highway something - Yep, they all are

allowed to carry a concealed weapon, im real big on the 2nd ammendment - You have to get a permit

Old 06-06-2008, 08:11 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,829,295 times
For info on Hurricane, Charleston, and Huntington areas, go to
City of Teays Valley, West Virginia : Information Resources for Teays Valley Residents and Visitors. (http://www.teaysvalleywv.com/ - broken link)
Hurricane, West Virginia
Putnam County, West Virginia - Official Site
Charleston CVB
City of Huntington, West Virginia
Cabell-Huntington Convention and Visitors Bureau, Huntington, West Virginia
Travel Planner

Old 06-06-2008, 09:19 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,290,591 times
That Johnsonville/Boone area is a great place...a lot of difference between it and Morgantown....lot of Trucking Depots in NCWv...

Old 06-06-2008, 11:40 PM

251 posts, read 829,789 times
Would like to live in the mountains if that is possible but can be near them that would not bother me none, i have been from lewisburg to elkins and never saw anything i liked then went to fairmont all the way to littleton back down to point pleasant and saw parts of huntington, madison and back over to lewisburg, my wife has family in hundred and littleton so i pretty much see the same thing everytime we are up there lol, how is summersville? i seem to like it some its got a super walmart i know but i have never actually been into town. the charleston/huntington area is just not rugged enough for me. morgantown i am def take a better look at maybe kingsport? i think thats the name of it.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:44 AM

I like Statesville...overlooked...and remote..

Old 06-07-2008, 06:36 AM

69 posts, read 244,869 times
As a native East Tennessean living in the eastern panhandle, I can say that honestly, both states have their pros and cons. WV, from my experience of living in both greenbrier and berkeley counties, definitely does not have the southern hospitality factor that TN has. for me the friendly, laidback south seems to stop somewhere around roanoke. The job market can vary greatly in WV depending on where at in the state you are. Where I currently live in Berkeley county, jobs pay approx 25-20% more than in TN or Southern WV, dues to the proximity to Wash D.C. The eastern Panhandle has a plethora of jobs and a fairly robust economy, however in Greenbrier county, jobs can be few and far between. Go to some of the smaller, less populated counties ( I used to work in Summers cty) and jobs that you can support a family on are hard to come by. In TN, the economy is still growing and jobs are fairly plentiful, depending on the industry. I guess in the end it comes down for me to the people, the attitudes of the people in the area, the the general feel of the area. Both areas are similar in geography and somewhat similar in culture. From my experience, a lot of WV is subject to the 'Hand-Out' mentality, possibly from decades of pork spending from Byrd, and the traditional propensity of poverty, lack of jobs, etc.. in the area. While TN, and every state for that matter, has this to some degree, it just seems so prevalent here. I may hold a biased opinion, but to me TN has WV beat. Not to mention that Tn has no income tax, so to me its like an instant raise to work in TN. I have prob offended some of the natives here, so let the flaming begin!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:02 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,894,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxBrian View Post
WV definitely does not have the southern hospitality factor.
And that's based on what... your own biased observation?

Quote:
I may hold a biased opinion, but to me TN has WV beat. Not to mention that Tn has no income tax, so to me its like an instant raise to work in TN.
So why ask on this board? Did you start out setting us up for your final insult?

Quote:
I have prob offended some of the natives here, so let the flaming begin!
Flaming? Heck no. Glad you chose TN where your kind belong.

Old 06-07-2008, 12:14 PM

I will say this in defense of Senator Byrd. He has not lined his pockets with the public money...that is a honest fact...and his help has been to everyone.
Pork Barrel? Look at NYC and the housing projects? Dallas with the road projects...Caifornia, if you really want pork...
West Virginia was a waste land until sewage and clean water was brought here...Highways to develop local economies that were only dreams 25 years ago.
This country needs WV in the very worst way...when her borders are sealed you will understand why some of the pork was spent here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or