U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 06-07-2008, 10:47 AM
 
Location: Charleston, WV
3,105 posts, read 4,599,260 times
Reputation: 806
Default Only in West Virginia

Only in WV... I'm going to a dance recital in Boone County tonight. Just heard that one of the "star" students will not be dancing because last night she was bit in the foot/leg by a Copperhead.

I figure the chances of winning the lottery are a zillion times better than missing your rectial because of a Copperhead bite.

I've known people to get injured the day before falling down stairs, etc. It's not funny but... !!!! (She is doing OK but, poor thing, gals put sooo much work for months into getting ready for their recital).

Do you have any good "Only in WV" stories? I just love our state .
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2008, 11:15 AM
 
Location: Cottageville, West Virginia
175 posts, read 370,174 times
Reputation: 128
A copperhead once bit my uncle down in Mingo County...the snake died of alcohol poisoning and my uncle preached his regular Sunday sermon the next morning. Now that's funny!!! I don't care who you are!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia 'Burbs
939 posts, read 1,805,864 times
Reputation: 548
*Ahem* I know this is too insane for any rational human being to believe, but I swear to God, Allah, Krishna, or whatever deity you choose - it happened.


My Uncle knows this drunkard businessman who owns a hotel or two in the Western part of the state. He kind of lived the nice life, albeit as an alcoholic. He drove nice cars, had nice clothes, etc.

One year, the man decided to build a home on the river overlook the Ohio. It took him months to find JUST the right place. Eventually, he found it. It was very serene and the River was just a short 1/8 mile sight from his living room. He loved it.

Then, the next thing you know, a fellow started to build a house DIRECTLY in his view of the river. Turns out the land he bought didn't extend all the way to the river. There was a small strip there on the coastline that was owned by the adjacent landowner years ago and was sold. All that work to find just the right setting and here comes along some other idiot to block his view.

This made him very sad and he vowed to get his view back.

So the guy does what any rich WVian does.....he hit the shine. Being a businessman, he knew OTHER businessmen. Including the guy that owned the Cat Machinery dealer down the street. So the fellow, loaded, gets in an end loader and drives it about 15 miles or so down a few country roads and makes it back to the residence.

The guy drove it up to his new neighbors house and started screaming until he came out. And as soon as the other guy comes out, he starts beating his house with the end loader!

By the time the police arrived, a huge chunk of the house laid in waste. They demanded he come down from the end loader immediately. So what does he do? He continues to chase the police officers with the end loader for a good 10-15 minutes until it runs out of fuel.

And you'd think he'd give up, right?

Oh, no, the guy JUMPS OUT of the end loader, runs to the river, and attempts to SWIM TO OHIO. Suffice it to say, the cops nabbed him a few yards into the river.

The sad part is that although he was arrested, he served no time and wasn't convicted of any crime. He just bought the land from the guy for twice what it's worth. Really, it's like a microcosm of this state. The guy with power and money can do whatever the hell he wants....and chances are, they'll be drunk while doing it. I believe I was 15 or 16 when that happened as told to me one year at Thanksgiving...so it would have been back in the late 90s.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Western Pennsylvania
2,379 posts, read 4,290,519 times
Reputation: 724
I mentioned this once before in another thread, but it is "very" West Virginia...

A few months ago, we were passing through a very remote State Forest in central West Virginia. We stopped by the Ranger station to look at T-shirts, etc.

1. We were in the office/gift shop alone for several minutes, before one of the Rangers came out and apologized... seems the employees were all in the back, having their annual ramp lunch.

2. The phone line was bad, or the credit card machine was on the blink, or something... anyway, we couldn't use a credit card to pay. The Ranger says, that's OK, go ahead and take your shirts, give me a call in a few days and let me know what the card number is, and I'll ring it up then.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 06:21 PM
 
Location: Dreaming of South Dakota!
251 posts, read 579,395 times
Reputation: 84
I was cracking up reading this thanks. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
*Ahem* I know this is too insane for any rational human being to believe, but I swear to God, Allah, Krishna, or whatever deity you choose - it happened.


My Uncle knows this drunkard businessman who owns a hotel or two in the Western part of the state. He kind of lived the nice life, albeit as an alcoholic. He drove nice cars, had nice clothes, etc.

One year, the man decided to build a home on the river overlook the Ohio. It took him months to find JUST the right place. Eventually, he found it. It was very serene and the River was just a short 1/8 mile sight from his living room. He loved it.

Then, the next thing you know, a fellow started to build a house DIRECTLY in his view of the river. Turns out the land he bought didn't extend all the way to the river. There was a small strip there on the coastline that was owned by the adjacent landowner years ago and was sold. All that work to find just the right setting and here comes along some other idiot to block his view.

This made him very sad and he vowed to get his view back.

So the guy does what any rich WVian does.....he hit the shine. Being a businessman, he knew OTHER businessmen. Including the guy that owned the Cat Machinery dealer down the street. So the fellow, loaded, gets in an end loader and drives it about 15 miles or so down a few country roads and makes it back to the residence.

The guy drove it up to his new neighbors house and started screaming until he came out. And as soon as the other guy comes out, he starts beating his house with the end loader!

By the time the police arrived, a huge chunk of the house laid in waste. They demanded he come down from the end loader immediately. So what does he do? He continues to chase the police officers with the end loader for a good 10-15 minutes until it runs out of fuel.

And you'd think he'd give up, right?

Oh, no, the guy JUMPS OUT of the end loader, runs to the river, and attempts to SWIM TO OHIO. Suffice it to say, the cops nabbed him a few yards into the river.

The sad part is that although he was arrested, he served no time and wasn't convicted of any crime. He just bought the land from the guy for twice what it's worth. Really, it's like a microcosm of this state. The guy with power and money can do whatever the hell he wants....and chances are, they'll be drunk while doing it. I believe I was 15 or 16 when that happened as told to me one year at Thanksgiving...so it would have been back in the late 90s.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 06:40 PM
 
Location: West Virginia
8,062 posts, read 16,118,214 times
Reputation: 4215
Only in WV...Can you get hit by a car while walking by a guy with No insurance...& he gets away with it!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2008, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Washington State
389 posts, read 659,572 times
Reputation: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I mentioned this once before in another thread, but it is "very" West Virginia...

A few months ago, we were passing through a very remote State Forest in central West Virginia. We stopped by the Ranger station to look at T-shirts, etc.

1. We were in the office/gift shop alone for several minutes, before one of the Rangers came out and apologized... seems the employees were all in the back, having their annual ramp lunch.

2. The phone line was bad, or the credit card machine was on the blink, or something... anyway, we couldn't use a credit card to pay. The Ranger says, that's OK, go ahead and take your shirts, give me a call in a few days and let me know what the card number is, and I'll ring it up then.
*THAT* right there is good customer service, I don't care who you are!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia
1,010 posts, read 1,597,258 times
Reputation: 918
My grandmother heard that her pa was seeing a lady down the street, so she picks up a shotgun to put the fear of the Lord in him, but since she failed Shotgun in high school, she accidentally blows a hole in the floor. She then decides to use a brick instead. But by the time she gets there he is gone. This would have been the 1930s.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 AM
 
Location: Ohio
2,173 posts, read 4,829,353 times
Reputation: 3658
My cousin in W.va had a daughter that was dating a guy in Ohio.
My cousin noticed his girl looking sad and despondent and ask what was wrong.
She said, well Pa, you know that boy I've been a dating?
He says, Not really but I know you been dating.
She said, Pa I think he got me pregnant.
He said, Where does he live and what is his name?
She said, right on the other side of the river, turn right at the locust stump on the other side of the big bridge, and he lives in the first log cabin on at the mouth of the holler. His name is Clarence.
Dad said, I'm going to put the fear of God in that boy.
Dad is gone for about 15 minutes and comes back.
Girl says, why you back so soon? Change your mind?
Dad says, I need your brothers for reinforcements.
Girl says, why Pa, you never needed them before.
Dad says. "It says right there on that thar bridge. Clearence, 13 foot, 6 inches.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2008, 03:56 AM
 
11,962 posts, read 7,273,952 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Navy View Post
A copperhead once bit my uncle down in Mingo County...the snake died of alcohol poisoning and my uncle preached his regular Sunday sermon the next morning. Now that's funny!!! I don't care who you are!!!
hehehehee yeah that is. Reminds me of the son sitting on the couch dispondent on sunday morning. Mamma comes down and says- will you get off your rear and get ready for church? You're going to be late!
He skulks off mumbling he didn't want to go. Church is boring and it's a nice day out. He'd rather be in his tree stand.
Mamma comes back at him- You're 60 yrs old and the parish is waiting for you- you're going to deliver that sermon whether you like it or not!


snorp same thing happened to me in charleston- they had already closed register so they gave me their # to call in my purchase the next day.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top