U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:33 PM

650 posts, read 819,482 times

Advertisements

Well, I know that the larger cities, like Charleston, would certainly have more resources available, and a broader social scene to find a writer's group in...

And of course the college towns, like Morgantown and Elkins, have English departments that ensure events and workshops and perhaps a magazine or two.

But is there any place in West Virginia that a writer (novelist) would find PARTICULARLY appealing, or especially "home", and for what reasons? Any active writing communities? ...before I make my absolutely final last decision on where to go househunting....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2008, 04:51 PM

74 posts, read 254,282 times
You might want to look into Huntington. With Marshall University, there are plenty of opportunities for writers and artists. Huntington has a decent sized newspaper and its own local marazine (Huntington Quarterly | Home) that has a wide readership. Actually, one of my friends is a free-lance writer here and writes for H-Q-- I've never heard her complain about lack of work. Also, the locally owned book store, Empire Books & News, works with local authors on a regular basis and they love to promote local authors.

As for artistic ventures, Huntington has the state's largest art museum and the art department at MU. It seems like there are always classes and exhibits here featuring artists of all skill levels. In addition, there is also the Downtown Depot, which only sells West Virginia made arts and crafts. Finally, at the beginnning of every summer, Huntington hosts Art in the Park as a venue for local artists to sell and display their work. It's always a fun event to go to that has been going on for more than 30 years.

Here are some links to check in to that might give you some more information.
Hope this helps!

Marshall University School of Journalism & Mass Communications
Sorry, the Marshall University webpage that you were looking for cannot be found.
Empire Books and News
Huntington Museum of Art, Huntington, WV
Marshall University College of Fine Arts | Department of Art & Design
The Downtown Depot in Huntington, West Virginia - Business Profile at City-data.com
Forty artists exhibit, sell work at Ritter - Huntington, WV -- The Herald-Dispatch
Gallery: Art in the Park - Huntington, WV -- The Herald-Dispatch
Tri-State Arts Association

Old 06-22-2008, 05:04 PM

939 posts, read 1,888,034 times
The major college towns are your best bet - Morgantown & Huntington. I prefer Morgantown for an assortment of reasons....closer to a major city (you can be at Pitts Int'l within the hour), it's growing rapidly (by WV standards), and I'm biased....

Old 06-22-2008, 06:18 PM

650 posts, read 819,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creemarie View Post
...Also, the locally owned book store, Empire Books & News, works with local authors on a regular basis and they love to promote local authors.
Finally, at the beginnning of every summer, Huntington hosts Art in the Park as a venue for local artists to sell and display their work. It's always a fun event to go to that has been going on for more than 30 years.
Thanks! That's EXACTLY the kind of information I'm looking for, and it's so hard to find without hearing it from someone local.

But ARGH that Huntington again! Why does it keep coming up perfect for EVERYTHING! Can't we move it about 200 miles northeast? My heart is closer to Maryland/Virginia, than Ohio/Kentucky.

But, I think you've put Huntington back on my list. As a long shot, because of its location, but it sounds wonderful. In every post about it, it sounds wonderful!

Old 06-22-2008, 08:07 PM

74 posts, read 254,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLaLa View Post
Thanks! That's EXACTLY the kind of information I'm looking for, and it's so hard to find without hearing it from someone local.

But ARGH that Huntington again! Why does it keep coming up perfect for EVERYTHING! Can't we move it about 200 miles northeast? My heart is closer to Maryland/Virginia, than Ohio/Kentucky.

But, I think you've put Huntington back on my list. As a long shot, because of its location, but it sounds wonderful. In every post about it, it sounds wonderful!
Well, we'd love to have you here! I'm originially from the northern part of the state (Morgantown, specifically), and have lived in Huntington for almost 4 years. I think you'd really like it here. The only thing that took me a while to get used to was the friendliness of people down here. They are definitely a lot more friendly/hospitible than they are in the northern part of the state-- at least from my experience. But that's not necessarily a bad thing...

Old 06-22-2008, 08:46 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,828,461 times
Morgantown has an active chapter of West Virginia Writers....the state flagship organization...just ended its weeklong seminar of gifted writers and ect...at Ripley...

If I was a writer seeking seculsion I would settle near Parsons...hook up with the book pub there, McClain Publishers...and do my own thing...they are the Wv best...

Old 06-22-2008, 08:49 PM

4,915 posts, read 7,678,727 times
Shepherdstown offers a lifestyle conducive to writers. Historic, college oriented, with both a bucolic and artsy fartsy tinge..

They have plays in the summer (Contemporary Arts Theater Festival) and all sorts of little crap like that going on throughout the year.

Old 06-22-2008, 09:55 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,753,266 times
I of course recommend Huntington as well. Not only for the above reasons but it has the tree lined streets and railroad history you were looking for in another post. The town was founded by Collis P. Huntington to be a railroad hub for the area. The Collis P. Huntington Historical Society helps to keep this heritage alive. Here's their website Collis P. Huntington Railroad Historical Society (http://www.newrivertrain.com/about.shtml - broken link)

Here is the website to the group that DK was referring to and the groups they have around the state. WV Writers: Writers Groups Around the State Huntington has three different groups so you can tell that writing is a big thing here. Another thing creemarie forgot to mention was the Ohio River Festival of Books. This is a festival that showcases local authors and gives them the chance to come together and share ideas with each other and the community. Here's the link for that. ohio river festival of books

And in terms of distance from the area you would need, the drive would be nearly all interstate and an extremely easy drive. Give us a visit before you choose. If you let us know if/when you could come we could make sure you know what's going on. Hope this helps. Here are the links for the MU art gallery and school of journalism as well just for contact info. Marshall University College of Fine Arts | Department of Art & Design Marshall University School of Journalism & Mass Communications
Tim

Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 PM

1,960 posts, read 3,822,945 times
If I was going to write, I would want to write in a quiet, serene place. Where I could feel at one with myself and nature. I would pick the mountains over the city, and try to escape as much as possible. I would rather rent a cabin in the woods, and write my heart out, than sit in a starbucks in an urban setting typing away on my laptop. However, if you really wanted to do that, you could do that at the Thisle Stop Cafe in downtown Elkins on 3rd Steet near the train depot.

You could also check to see if the Randolph County Community Arts center offers anything you'd be interested in. Here is the link for their website, I know they offer a lot of creative venues and provide a dose of culture and fine arts to the Elkins area.

Randolph County Community Arts Center, Elkins, WV

Old 06-23-2008, 03:56 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,828,461 times
Writing is really on the upswing in Wv...hidden, but on the upswing and encouraged...'Rocket Boys' began the surge...Homer Hickam and Pinkney Benedict have helped to mentor and encourage young and old people alike to develop their skills...many others are involved too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia