U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:52 AM

939 posts, read 1,833,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Just for the sake of discussion, what is there to do in Morgantown that you couldn't find in the MOV?
More people my age, Pittsburgh is only an hour away vs. C-Bus being 2.5 hours away, way more live shows, new stuff opening all the time, I can go to all of the WVU games without a road trip, better outdoorsy type stuff (especially hiking), exponentially better night life....I could probably go on for a while if I took time to think it all the way through...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 08:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,571 times
vienna has a mall , grand central mall, and thats all nothing else to mention and the mall is not really in vienna its between vienna and parkersburg, considered no mans land,vienna people are kinda stuck-up and snobbish for the most part. OK if you like that sort of thing

Old 01-28-2009, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 11,985 times
I have lived in Vienna for the past five years and love the area. Wal-Mart and the Grand Central Mall are both within five minutes of driving, which makes it exceptionally convenient.

The Grand Central Mall isn't very big compared to other malls, and with the economy heading south, a lot of places are closing and are rumored to close. Steve and Barry's and Spencers are already gone. Circuit City and the Gap are closing. There has also been talk that Belk, Sears, and Elder Beerman may go out.

There are a lot of places to eat out that are within driving distance, mostly around the mall. Outback, Olive Garden, Applebees, Logans, Texas Roadhouse, and Ruby Tuesday.

Entertainment depends on time of the year. The summer is when most of the activities take place, especially with Homecoming and the Intrastate Fair and Expo. Across the river in Marietta, Ohio has a merchant walk through downtown which I would highly recommend.

As for jobs, depending on what you are looking for, DuPont is in nearby Washington, and provides a lot of jobs around the area. The Bureau of Public Debt is located in Parkersburg as well as Mountain State Blue Cross & Blue Shield.

Hope this helps in some way.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 AM

You have to think Best Buy will come into Parkersburg. It's way too big of an area not to have a big box electronics store. If not, maybe we'll see the resurrection of Sun TV. (Mentioning that place makes me feel old.)

Old 01-28-2009, 11:41 AM

566 posts, read 982,358 times
We won't see anything until this economy turns around, many are leaving or have left already. You can forget about DuPont, unless you are a legacy. Healthcare is probably the king here.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
You have to think Best Buy will come into Parkersburg. It's way too big of an area not to have a big box electronics store. If not, maybe we'll see the resurrection of Sun TV. (Mentioning that place makes me feel old.)
The same could be said for Target.

My guess is, if either one come to this area, it would be in the new Emerson Commons located off the interstate from Emerson Avenue, or even the Fort Boreman Park area if they ever decide to develop it. Some people I know from the Grand Central Mall have said that Target would not locate in the mall because they didn't want to be located close to Wal-Mart. That would knock out the Kohl's shopping center as well, since Wal-Mart is right down the hill.

Of course, until the economy straightens out, its a moot point.

Old 01-29-2009, 10:45 AM

566 posts, read 982,358 times
My guess is, the new Fort Boreman Park area is reserved for upscale housing. Looks to be laid out that way.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVWildcat View Post
The same could be said for Target.

My guess is, if either one come to this area, it would be in the new Emerson Commons located off the interstate from Emerson Avenue, or even the Fort Boreman Park area if they ever decide to develop it. Some people I know from the Grand Central Mall have said that Target would not locate in the mall because they didn't want to be located close to Wal-Mart. That would knock out the Kohl's shopping center as well, since Wal-Mart is right down the hill.

Of course, until the economy straightens out, its a moot point.
You know...there IS a giant, empty Target-sized piece of real estate next door to Big Lots...I'm just sayin'...

Old 01-29-2009, 05:48 PM

404 posts, read 790,356 times
Grand Central Mall Closed yesterday because of the weather. They closed all the stores and sent their employees home at 2:30 so they'd get home before dark when the roads would be much worse. I love Vienna. I guess that doesn't say much about housing or jobs, but it is a good sign when it comes to community! I've never heard of a mall closing because of the weather and I grew up off of Lake Erie!

Old 01-29-2009, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
You know...there IS a giant, empty Target-sized piece of real estate next door to Big Lots...I'm just sayin'...
I am assuming you are talking about Traffic Circle. The only problem with that is getting in and out and even with the construction done through Emerson Avenue it is still a nightmare. If you are heading back to Vienna, you have to take the backroads to the redlight at Advance Auto Parts to get back, and the light may let one or two cars through at a time. Imagine if a Target went in there and how much worse it would be.

Location is key. For example, Kroger and County Market both never made it behind the mall, and now it is a medical facility.

The rumor I had heard was Best Buy and Giant Eagle going into Emerson Commons. Take it for what it is worth though. Of course, it could go the direction of Kinetic Park in Huntington.

Quote:
My guess is, the new Fort Boreman Park area is reserved for upscale housing. Looks to be laid out that way.
Possibly, but it (or the Lubeck exit where Western Sizzlin is) was also rumored to be a new home for Wal-Mart should they close the one in the Patriot Center down. The store was built on swampland and from what I have heard the warehouse isn't exactly in the best of structural shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia