U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 10,643 times

Advertisements

Hello my husband and I are moving to Huntfield in Charles Town WV. I would love to know the best of stuff like shopping, salons, resturants etc.
Also are there any art fairs and the best route to take to Arlington , Va.Thats were I work.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,643 times
Default No answered :(

anyone ??????

Old 07-11-2008, 03:00 PM

1,260 posts, read 3,332,726 times
Sorry Shannon for the late response.

I live in Arlington but attended school for a semester down the road in Shepherdstown. I can't speak for festivals, salons, etc. but can help you with driving routes.

The best way to take from Charles Town to Arlington is: 340 to Frederick and then follow I-270 down to the Beltway where you can either take the GW Parkway or I-66 right into Arlington. If you are driving alone the GW Parkway is the best option because as you probably know I-66 Eastbound is HOV only inside the beltway during the morning rush hour. The only drawback would be commute time, if you go during conventional hours don't expect to make it to Arlington in under 2 hours, and on some days (especially rain, snow, or Friday evenings) it will be closer to 3.

Good luck! the Eastern Panhandle is a beautiful area.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:05 PM

4,714 posts, read 11,712,811 times
And you caught everyone on a Friday evening too...ballgames and barbecues tonight..it (responses) will be slow...we've had a lot of rain lately and this is the first really good weekend in Wv...time to enjoy it...some friends are having a pool party tonight...and we're out the door in about 5 minutes...

Old 07-14-2008, 05:56 AM

391 posts, read 996,892 times
what kind of shopping? malls? there are malls in winchester and martinsburg, but i'd chose dulles town center in sterling. antiques? downtown charles town and shepherdstown have plenty of places to browse thru.

there are several nice restaurants around the area. you'll have to try a few out. keep in mind that this isn't arlington ......

in addition to commuting to arlington via rt 270 (not bad if you leave charles town prior to 5 am), you can also take rt 340 south to rt 7 (berryville), then rt 7 east to the greenway/dulles toll road into arlington (inside the beltway prior to 6:30, i think).

the weeks will stink due to the commute .... the weekends will be wonderful due to the lack of congestion.

huntfield is a nice community. one of my kids will start this fall at the new high school just being finished next to you.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 AM

what kind of shopping? malls? there are malls in winchester and martinsburg, but i'd chose dulles town center in sterling. antiques? downtown charles town and shepherdstown have plenty of places to browse thru.

there are several nice restaurants around the area. you'll have to try a few out. keep in mind that this isn't arlington ......

in addition to commuting to arlington via rt 270 (not bad if you leave charles town prior to 5 am), you can also take rt 340 south to rt 7 (berryville), then rt 7 east to the greenway/dulles toll road into arlington (inside the beltway prior to 6:30, i think).

the weeks will stink due to the commute .... the weekends will be wonderful due to the lack of congestion.

huntfield is a nice community. one of my kids will start this fall at the new high school just being finished next to you.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:40 AM

3 posts, read 9,157 times
If you haven't commited to Huntfield yet you may want to look around. We lived there for a year and moved and as you an see alot of homes in the development are for sale, why? The quality of homes in the development are not good. You'll here the train all hours of the night and the yards are very small. We moved to Cloverdale, which is just across from the new school south on route 340. All the lots are over 1 acre and it's very quiet and a well kept development with mature trees and breathing space between homes!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:00 AM

76 posts, read 333,183 times
Default What's the name of the development in Cloverfield?

I was wondering why so many homes were for sale in Huntsfield. I'm glad I didn't go there.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:41 AM

1,260 posts, read 3,332,726 times
I think because of the current state of the housing market. Every high growth area in the nation has tons of new homes for sale simply because things were booming for so long with respect to housing then suddenly everything crashed. People are also starting to reconsider with regards to gas prices. The fact that the Panhandle is a solid 30-45 minute drive (much longer during rush hour) from the nearest DC metro job center makes it seem less desirable with gas prices.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:09 AM

there are several homes for sale in cloverdale also. but it is certainly a much more spacious development compared to huntfield.

certainly the inflated gas prices make living so far away from the dc metro area less desirable. but the fact is that you can still buy a larger, non-cookie cutter house on a decent sized lot for less $$$ in jefferson county than you can in nova. the commute stinks, but the lack of congestion and traffic on weekends is very relaxing.

ahhhh .... dusty .... not to question you or anything on your first post here ... but are you saying that there is a '66 olds 442 around cloverdale that i've missed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia