U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 01:14 AM

938 posts, read 2,537,831 times

Advertisements

Link

Quote:
In the coming months, McCain and Obama will, like the long line of candidates who came before them, descend on Appalachia bearing plenty of promises. The truth is, there's not much any president can do to change things in four or eight years. What they can do is simply take the place and its people seriously. Folks know when a politician is using them as stage props. John Kerry didn't sound believable last time around when he tried to pass himself off as a NASCAR fan. And no one in West Virginia thinks Obama actually kicks back with a bottle of Bud. If I could give advice to the candidates and their handlers, it would be this: don't pretend, don't condescend. (I made that rhyme so it would be easier to remember.) Andy Griffith, the patron saint of Southern culture whose mythical Mayberry sat on the edge of Appalachia, once said of his classic TV show: "We wanted them to laugh with us, not at us."
Someone kinda gets it.

Last edited by WVUPharm2007; 07-02-2008 at 01:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 05:34 AM

4,714 posts, read 11,720,843 times
In this great age of electronic media I would like to see someone do a photo montage of all the political promises we have been given...
Have the candidate seem as if he is walking with LBJ, moving to the limosine with Jack Kennedy, speaking at the podium and hot dog stand with Nixon and Rockefeller as they made their promises to West Virginia...
I would they like to see the Bill for those efforts...'War on Poverty and Jobs for Progress..

Money was certainly spent to setup, fund forever and keep in place a plenthora of slots of socialized progroms to 'help the people...How many billions has it been?...
The entire state could have been bulldozed flat and an entire new Denmark could have been built on the soil..

If these progroms are failures, why are they still in process?...its simple, they funnel money to someone...

The Repubs don't promise a lot of programs...they tell us to get to work, get a life and be proud of the country...I bought that in 1966...and I buy that today...but that's only me.

It will take a lot of crafting to make Obama my sugar daddy...and McCain is ready for the wheelchair...botox or not...I'll vote...but I'm thinking I'll write someone in...like Pat Paulson...someone I know intends to pull a joke on us and not have it cost much more than a hearty laugh...

Old 07-02-2008, 06:29 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,300,216 times
I'm waiting for one of the candidates to say "Yes, it's dirty (but we can make it cleaner), yes it's dangerous to mine (but we can make it safer), but it's the only energy source that we have a 500 year supply of, and we can put it to use right now."

And then commit to a plan to make it happen. West Virginia would be the Alaska of the 21st Century.

I'm afraid that this time next year, I'll still be waiting.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:33 AM

Mr. Reid and Madame Pelosi said 'coal was dirty....that's the end of it...can't someone come forward in those states and be elected to their jobs...It's the idiots who are running our asylum of Congress...

Old 07-02-2008, 09:50 AM

938 posts, read 2,537,831 times
Another interesting read. From jolly England, no less.

Quote:
Interesting thing, though: whites in the agricultural Midwest and the small towns of New Hampshire are receptive to Obama in ways blue-collar Appalachians aren't. This is an intriguing question, but the answer that it's as simple as racial prejudice betrays a profound ignorance about the Appalachian region, its history and its people, an ignorance dispelled by reading Jim Webb's 2004 book, Born Fighting: How the Scots-Irish Shaped America.

Fatalism is a common Appalachian trait, and quite a few of the region's working-class whites see politics as a stark zero-sum game pitting losers against winners. Upper-middle-class professionals and the wealthy will be fine no matter who the president is. But a lot of white Appalachians wonder: if Obama is in the White House and the competition for left-over scraps is between us and blacks, will we be screwed yet again? That point of view is less a reflection on Obama than it is a cynicism born of hard experience in a region with a long history of exploitation by social, political and economic elites, as the late John O'Brien documented in At Home in the Heart of Appalachia.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:54 AM

240 posts, read 656,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
I'm waiting for one of the candidates to say "Yes, it's dirty (but we can make it cleaner), yes it's dangerous to mine (but we can make it safer), but it's the only energy source that we have a 500 year supply of, and we can put it to use right now."

And then commit to a plan to make it happen. West Virginia would be the Alaska of the 21st Century.

I'm afraid that this time next year, I'll still be waiting.
If coal was the economic savior of West Virginia then why did it remain a poor state even when the coal industry was booming?

Yes, it is dirty. Live near it and your house will be covered in black soot. Yes, it's unsafe and not just for the miners. What about the run off from strip mining that causes 6 foot high walls of water to take your house downstream when it rains?

How would you like the federal goverment to tell you that the house that has been in your family since the 1800's is condemned because it's been flooded so many times and they're tired of paying for it. So you have to move now.

So yeh, we can level WV and the rest of the country can have electricity. And then where are your mountains, your scenic vistas, your wildlife, your forests? But most of all where's the money? Cause I don't see it here.

As for the article, it was very well written and thoughtful.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Coal/gas brought in 65% of the tax revenue this year...edged out gambling because of the automatic fuel/energy taxe rate increases...but retail sales taxes were down...42 million...(people are hurting because of high gasoline taxes)

It's only been in the past few decades that the Wv Dems decided to tax their benefactors...lacking is personal property taxes on the underground equipt...all other businesses pay PPT on their equipt...this is a county payoff...individual..

FEMA will pay for flood damage 3 times and then its over...

The money is kept in banks...mostly New York City and London...We did not need any of the money...were not worth it...but times are changin'

Old 07-02-2008, 05:35 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,441,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
Another interesting read. From jolly England, no less.
I think that one was the most factual assessment, particularly in light of Obama's church representing his politics in media. Would you add anything to this article?

Old 07-02-2008, 05:50 PM

11,961 posts, read 12,441,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millersangel View Post
If coal was the economic savior of West Virginia then why did it remain a poor state even when the coal industry was booming?

Yes, it is dirty. Live near it and your house will be covered in black soot. Yes, it's unsafe and not just for the miners. What about the run off from strip mining that causes 6 foot high walls of water to take your house downstream when it rains?

How would you like the federal goverment to tell you that the house that has been in your family since the 1800's is condemned because it's been flooded so many times and they're tired of paying for it. So you have to move now.

So yeh, we can level WV and the rest of the country can have electricity. And then where are your mountains, your scenic vistas, your wildlife, your forests? But most of all where's the money? Cause I don't see it here.

As for the article, it was very well written and thoughtful.
News reports say economy is up for WV (6%) and MT due to energy sector. Wv infrastructure was invested in most cities, but rural america has common problem of higher expenses because of smaller tax base. I find it odd that a state with a 'reputation' for being litigious would also have situations like coal continuous practice of using humans as canary in mines, and maintaining lesser surface owner rights. Very contradictory picture.

I'm on the fence about coal- I've tried to see it from all sides, but the pro coal people aren't really stepping up with improvements. They're selling it on economic factors alone, and that's not enough IMO. Particularly in a dem controlled congress. They see themselves as defenders and protectors of WV when big coal fails to earnestly take care of biz rightfully. Seems to me WV as a state has given them more latitude than any other industry in the history of america, so much that even the feds pull rank on the issue.

What does WV have to show for these generous policies... ? Somebody tell me.

Old 07-02-2008, 07:19 PM

The lawsuits have begun in earnest...Sago Mine Death Victims got a Really Big payout this week...Coal Companies know that attitudes are changing...and the lawyers are waiting for the next disaster with their tongues hanging out...if the Unions can't/won't protect their members...if the Coal Company Safety SmokeScreeners won't do their jobs...if the legislature is unable to act...then Justice must be meted out in the courts with a hefty lawsuit...any and every Jury in Wv will side with the Plaintiff...every single time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or