U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 67,003 times

Advertisements

Hello, this is my first time posting. My family and I are going to be moving within the next year or two to WV. My husband likes Ritchie or Roane county. More because that is where he used to live when he was a boy. I was wondering if anyone could give me insight on how it is there? Where is the best place to live? We want to have at least 50 acres and live off our land, but be close to a nice town for small shopping, good school, and medical.
Thanks Becky
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 03:50 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,348,895 times
VERY, VERY RURAL Other than Spencer, and I looked that up on the map for you, the towns are very small..perhaps, someone has some knowledge of that area...I think I would get up into Doddridge or near Salem if I wanted a town of some size...more near to Rt 50.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:52 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,861,595 times
I-79 runs through part of Roane County (Amma is in Roane County - don't know if there is a town there). Amma is about half hour from Charleston. Midway between the 2 is a plaza along I-79 with a K-Mart and several other stores. Between the 2 is also Elkview and even closer to Roane is Clendenin.

There is a hopital in Spencer http://roanegeneralhospital.com/ . Know nothing about it or other medical factors. For major emergency, I'd head to CAMC in Charleston which would be a half hour, an hour, or more depending on where you are in Roane.
CAMC is a very good hospital.

Other than that, I know nothing about the schools, etc. Like DK said, it is very rural.

Have you started looking for land? What are you willing to pay? I think that would be a major determining factor on where you move. I don't know where you live, but in WV you could be interested in 50 acres only to discover there is barely a housesite let alone land suitable for gardening, etc. -- we have a LOT of hills in this part of the state. Also take into consideration whether you will have to build a road to your house and the cost of that. (I don't know the topography of Roane and Ritchie so don't know if this applies but it does apply to a lot of the state. We looked at a lot of property near Charleston. The ad would say 12 acres -- we'd go look at it only to discover it was all almost straight up and down.)

Old 07-08-2008, 06:18 PM

You should be able to find acreage...I would do it the right way...Have your husband go back home and spread the word...someone might know of the old Jones place being for sale...get a handle on it now...all of America is coming here to live...and they are taking all of those big old farms for a song.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
You should be able to find acreage...I would do it the right way...Have your husband go back home and spread the word...someone might know of the old Jones place being for sale...get a handle on it now...all of America is coming here to live...and they are taking all of those big old farms for a song.
DK is right in the way to find your property - around here word-of-mouth is always the best.

"taking all of those big old farms for a song" - except in Putnam County. They are going for a fortune. Think that's also true for a lot of Kanawha and Jackson.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 PM

7 posts, read 67,003 times
Where I lived when I was a kid we had free gas and spring water that ran all year. We are very familiar with the rural area, and like it that way. I was born in Grantsville, Calhoun county. My family lived near Coxs Mills. I want to move back and find a place that has free gas on the farm, and enough timber to build a log home. Most people around were we live now never even heard of free gas, don't even understand what it is. I just wonder if there is still such a place. I think most of these real estate places on the internet are just tying to rip people off. It seems like most are asking crazy prices for even rough logged out ground. My father remembers the old hippie days of West Virginia when you could buy a 100 acre farm for $1000. I know those days are long gone! It has been a while since I have been out there to visit. We had went out a few years back to find the old Larch family cemetery with some relatives buried. Hope to go back out this within the next few weeks.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky94 View Post
Where I lived when I was a kid we had free gas and spring water that ran all year. We are very familiar with the rural area, and like it that way. I was born in Grantsville, Calhoun county. My family lived near Coxs Mills. I want to move back and find a place that has free gas on the farm, and enough timber to build a log home. Most people around were we live now never even heard of free gas, don't even understand what it is. I just wonder if there is still such a place. .
I don't know what the situation is if you buy a place where the people have been getting free gas but...

Family members recently entered into a deal with a small company and allowed them to put a gas well on their property. As at least part of the deal, they are getting free gas (I assume for the life of the well). The company is also doing it with a couple of their neighbors.

Hmm, don't know how that works since I thought most people do not own the mineral rights on their property. Does that not include gas? Guess not since a lot of people do this.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM

This gas well drilling will become one of our bigger scams...(of the ages)...new drillers drill into 5 rock stratas and recover gas with well head pressure in the thousands of pounds...that equates to millions of dollars to the gas company for the life of each gas well...
Local resident and land owner get 'free gas for the remainder of his life...equates to $25 to $100 per month....you figure it out...and the owner of all that gas...the Jay-bird Rockefeller family...since the 1880's...all of it.

The 'free gas is an inconvience fee of sorts...as natural bleed-off into the atmosphere is uncontroled...

The well out back on my North 40, has been blowing out the packing for years...all the pressure that the line will take is going into the pipe for transmission...at one time it was on vaccum...now, its blowing out crude oil regularly
...Where I tap into the line, a 2" open pipe with a 2" valve is cracked open to relieve the pressure...as long as some hunter isn't smoking nearby and sets it aflame...we will be ok...

I think I'll put up some 'No Smoking Signs...might be needed for those rabbit hunters this Fall.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,926 times
Hi Becky. I just got back from Spencer, Roane county. I love the area but is very rural. We are also looking to buy a nice piece of land to build a house on. Most of the land for sale that has an existing home are in bad shape and need a lot of work. I agree with the fact that the real state agents are driving up the prices and the sales of land in the area have come to a stop. Spencer has a very good school system. Their High School is beautiful and up to date. The center of attraction is the Super Wall Mart which is open 24/7. Check this real state agent. She is awesome and was born and raise in the area. Here is her link Board - DePue Realty Company Just tell her Tony from NJ gave you the link. She just got back into real state and she is good.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM

1,622 posts, read 3,735,687 times
The above posters are correct, Roane County is VERY RURAL. What kind of shopping do you prefer? there isn't much there except the local Wal-Mart and like vec said a K-Mart in Elkview. The Town Center mall in Charleston is about 45 min to an hour away depending on exact location, there are some decent stores therel.

When you say family, do you have children? I remember growing up in Charleston nobody would move to Roane County because of the less than stellar reputation of their schools. The high school is relatively new (they consolidated 2 or 3 of them into one large school), I know this because we ran a track meet or two there when I was in high school...it took at least an hour to get to from Charleston.

Where do you or your husband work? I can't imagine there is a large amount of local work so having a job will more than likely mean driving to Charleston.

I know absolutely nothing about Ritchie County,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia