Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times

Advertisements

I just know I will not move to Colorado, those folks must not get a thing to eat
I guess being in Georgia now I went from Fat to just chubby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:25 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
apple butter is in the fruit group! whaddaya talking about it's unhealthy? Chocolate is also a fruit, derived from the beloved cacao fruit. 5 servings daily, gov't said so.

janipoo- maybe if all the very heavy people had to move to the panhandle it would blend into maryland/pa stats.

vec like most of the guys I worked with raised on meat and taters, I think groats, raw bran, and bean sprout salads on a menu would give the average west va'n that confused puppy look upon their faces. I just can't see it happening. Reminds me of a jokey commerical about contractors mistaking plaster on their hands for mayo from a sandwich- not that it's good, but that its familiar that makes something acceptable.

What arctic fox was saying is true of all of america.... the more processed foods came into being, the more obese people became. Corn syrup is a major ingredient in many foods to the point where if you have a corn allergy you just can't live in america! Most people are hard pressed to find anything else in the market nowadays. 90% on the shelf is processed. Ask a diabetic how hard it is to shop for anything without sugar in it, or high blood pressure patient trying to avoid sodium. It's a battle unto itself. I first noticed it when I was looking into trying a raw food diet because I could stand to loose a few pounds myself.

Statistics I recall seeing was that anywhere in industrialized nations where white table sugar and white flour were being used saw not only an increase in obesity but also increase in diseases related to obesity. That particular study tracked 40+ yrs of overall american food and people regardless of nationality/race/creed/gender.

One study ruled out genetics by following african descendants from africa proper, to west indies, to america. The west indies blacks had worse nutrition and more health problems than those of african counterparts. American blacks came in second to native africans for weight/health. Intriguing results considering we're such a wealthy nation.

I think the causes of obesity are numerous and at times overlap. You can be overweight and be malnourished. Poverty in america appears to be a correlation- look to see what's cheap enough to put in your shopping cart for weekly groceries if your budget is $50; ramen noodles, no frills soup, and a box of no frills donuts is cheaper than fresh produce (organic is a whole other price echelon). White bread is cheaper than whole wheat or multigrain. You can have underlying medical causes (thyroid, rare). Some medications bring it on too. (anyone recall seeing jerry lewis blown up like a balloon from steroid treatment for arthritis? I recall a psychotropic doing that to a friend of mine too- she had never weighed more than 110lbs her whole life and put on 40lbs in 3 months of meds.)
Personally I think on average americans use food as entertainment or as psychological crutch. I've had horrible nutrition habits that began early in life, passed on from my own mom, who had the same. I've tried to learn but info out there is confusing and contradictory. To this day I'm still trying to teach myself to cook. Thank goodness crock pots are so forgiving or I'd live at a restaurant.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
I just know I will not move to Colorado, those folks must not get a thing to eat
And skinny cooks are suspicious characters!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:21 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Recently I've gotten back into working out with our home gym. Been pretty steady at about 4 sessions p/wk, 60 minutes per day. Since I moved out of the 'country' and into suburbia, I find myself NOT getting the daily excercise I used to. Splitting wood, making hay, doing other chores like that used to keep my weight down. In the last 6 months I crept up about 5-10lbs so I've gotta do something about it..

Anyway- I'm using a pretty nice tracker on my food intake, trying to keep at 1,800-2,000 calories p/day until my workout needs require more. The USDA has very nice, input friendly 'pyramid tracker that lists ALL types of foods, how many calories they contain by serving, and what nutritional value you benefit from it.

Eat Red Baron frozen pizza? They've got it.
Pillsbury strudels? They've got it.
Scrapple? Yup- they got it..

They also list ALL types of physical activity, including house work and gardening (and chopping wood) to track offsetting calories used.

I kinda like it. Makes me honest. You've got to be careful though, since I input about 45 minutes of vigorous activity, it says my calorie requirments are about 2,700 p/day, but since I'm dropping weight I've got to set my own target.

Anyway if interested- check it out. USDA - CNPP - MyPyramid Tracker

Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM

laughing here @ joke from a buddy's wife who told him since they both needed cardio their new exercise routine was going to be more sex! I guess it beats those silly jogging outfits.

Friend of mine has done well with weight watchers plan, but its not for everyone. Thanks for link.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 AM

Unfortunately the USDA does not list sexual activity as an excercise.

However by my own calculations, I'd say about 130-175 calories are burned during the act itself.

In my case, the act of foreplay burns about 1,200 calories; you've got to account for the begging, chasing, promising to carry the laundry upstairs, wash the dishes, take out the garbage... Man that takes WORK!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 AM

LMAO @ THREE!!! So you see her logic? No spandex/memberships/$$$ equipment in the corner of the bedroom to dust involved- just using what nature gave ya! hahaha

Old 07-24-2008, 07:52 AM

Actually it is very nice. Everything I ate yesterday is found in their database (except venison salami). I had to input plain salami sandwich for that.

OJ, apple, coffee, sandwich, raw carrots, ham steak, peas, bread, yogurt, margarine.. Pretty much complete..

I even input the 2 pale ales I had after supper, and I had plenty of room for one more according to them!

Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Maybe we've hit on a way to put some positive spin on the Obesity Ranking.

Long term, population growth is one of the major threats to the global environment. West Virginia's population has been steady (or declining) for several decades now.

Being the foresighted and environmentally conscious folk that we are, we've been limiting our procreation activities in order to set a zero population growth example for the world. Unfortunately, that's also led to an increase in obesity, due to not expending those calories during (and before) sex.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:22 AM

west virginia is for lazy lovers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia