Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 12:15 AM

7 posts, read 17,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonShoe View Post
My mother recently told me about a missionary-type trip she made to the Appalachian mountains in Kentucky/West Virginia with her church group more than 40 years ago. She mentioned how destitute these tiny towns were and the very poor quality of life the people there had.

I know times have changed but from what I've read these areas still exist to some extent. I was talking this over with my Sunday school class and everyone agreed that we would love to do something to help, so next weekend we're organizing a canned food and clothing drive. I think we're going to have a great turnout and we were hoping to find one or two of these villages to take out donations too. I asked my mom, but she doesn't remember at all what the places were, aside from "way up in the mountains", so I thought I'd register here and post.

Can anyone lend me a hand or direct me to where I can find more information?

Thanks so much,

Sharon

Sharon, People in W.Va may live differently than you do ,but let me tell you the goodwill you try to bring is only for your benefit. W Va people are proud and take care of their own. Very insulting to them to come in there like a savior. I know I grew up there. What may have looked like a hovel to your mother was often something very different indeed. Many people had enough and were able to take care of there neighbors who were often their kin. Best to go to Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 11:00 AM

13 posts, read 73,679 times
blue collar mutt - Thank you for your candor. I'll talk it over with my church group and share your sentiments. If the people aren't in need and don't want donations, then we'll work to find an area where we can do some good.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:25 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,374,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonShoe View Post
blue collar mutt - Thank you for your candor. I'll talk it over with my church group and share your sentiments. If the people aren't in need and don't want donations, then we'll work to find an area where we can do some good.
I'm not so sure that is true of all - I'd contact a local church in Matewan and talk to them. I think it's a lovely gesture and would be greatly appreciated by many.

I don't know if you want to keep it in the states, travel to take it, or what but if you are looking to donate anywhere in the world....
I can tell you that people in Mexico and in Roatan, Honduras can sure use anything. Was shocked to discover many in Mexico have no running water or electricity (I'm thinking of villages near Loreto, Mexico).

Roatan is better but the poverty is great. The people are lovely, friendly, and from what we saw - they are hard working. There's just not much industry and the government doesn't provide support like here in the States. One thing that really broke my heart - most kids only go to school to the 6th grade. They can really use school supplies, etc. Some of the schools are private and teach English as well as Spanish. Not sure about the public schools. Don't think of the private schools as fancy private schools - they are not.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 AM

58 posts, read 135,999 times
You are looking for just about about any town in McDowell County. One that may be of particular interest to you is a town called Coalwood where the first rocket was made (it is the hometown of the "Rocket Boys" it is also a town that is very poor and was decimated by a flood in 2001. You may also want to visit a town called Thurmond while you are there. When the coal left both towns were left without a means of income.
If I can be of any further help, just let me know.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:28 AM

What the people in these towns could use are things like appliances and to have wells dug. Dont forget that these are proud people and to just throw money at them will not go over well.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 AM

I can hardly believe that you would tell someone who is wanting to aid the people in WV to aid a foreign country! You would tell her to give aid to Mexico when there are people in your own state who are in need? Do you know that the Christian Appalachian Project allows people to sponsor children and the only children that they sponsor the in US are in Appalachia ( I'm hoping that you are aware that the entire state of WV is appalachia)? Have you ever been to McDowell county? The Appalachian Poverty Project states on its website that the very poorest people that they have ever seen live in the county! I myself am considering starting a charity for the people of WV because I know that people there are desperately in need.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 AM

25 posts, read 107,568 times
Default Thurmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by beverlysmithscott View Post
You are looking for just about about any town in McDowell County. One that may be of particular interest to you is a town called Coalwood where the first rocket was made (it is the hometown of the "Rocket Boys" it is also a town that is very poor and was decimated by a flood in 2001. You may also want to visit a town called Thurmond while you are there. When the coal left both towns were left without a means of income.
If I can be of any further help, just let me know.
There are only about seven people in Thurmond. Several of them are the Dragen family that owns Class Six. I think they are doing okay.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:26 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,042,956 times
Those areas do have a significant amount of poverty, but the very poorest areas are actually in eastern Kentucky. You might contact Christian Appalachian Services there too. Ask for Sue Sword.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:21 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
Several of my friends go on summer missions to Mexico and South America...but serving in Wv in that capacity is the Presbertarian Church...do not know the details but have seen their work crews in our black neighborhoods.

Southern part of Wv was flooded again this spring...know an effort is underway to help restore life there...I would check with county agencies in those effected counties...Red Cross for sure!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:17 PM

19,754 posts, read 22,661,296 times
Eastern KY got hit with those floods too. I'm working in Hazard KY for 3 weeks right now, and the hotel I'm staying at has a few folks from FEMA and the SBA here to provide disaster assistance.

As said, the Red Cross could use some things I'm sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia