U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 07:29 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,812,680 times

Advertisements

Snorpus: If you boil the dandelions and make ethanol from them, the Federal Government will give you a .57 a gallon subsidy for each gallon...most people just don't bother...use the moonshine for fuel...in the car and in the body...keeps the paperwork at a minimum.

and Buzz123..if you can make groundhog taste like chicken...I need that recipie....lol
lot of young ones on the roads right now! In many various states of being.

this was the very best wild 'Black berry year I've ever seen...began with Black raspsberry then the regular Blacks...and now we are finishing up the Reds...an Italian wine berry that opens from a burr...like a tiny rose blossom...found them in Hardy county years ago and transplanted them...what a wonderful taste...like Frankie said..."It's been a very good year."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 10:49 PM

11,583 posts, read 20,520,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Snorpus: If you boil the dandelions and make ethanol from them, the Federal Government will give you a .57 a gallon subsidy for each gallon...most people just don't bother...use the moonshine for fuel...in the car and in the body...keeps the paperwork at a minimum.

and Buzz123..if you can make groundhog taste like chicken...I need that recipie....lol
lot of young ones on the roads right now! In many various states of being.

this was the very best wild 'Black berry year I've ever seen...began with Black raspsberry then the regular Blacks...and now we are finishing up the Reds...an Italian wine berry that opens from a burr...like a tiny rose blossom...found them in Hardy county years ago and transplanted them...what a wonderful taste...like Frankie said..."It's been a very good year."
My mom's groundhog was better than chicken. Our preacher used to think the best meat was on the head. I couldn't go that far.

I think the Blackberry Festival was this weekend in Clarksburg/Nutter Fort.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:51 PM

11,583 posts, read 20,520,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobilee View Post
Here's a funny blog on cornbread & beans & WV. Bakin'n'Bacon: Cornbread Conundrum
Yeah. Where else can you get soupbeans and cornbread but West Virginia? There ya go...official state food.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 PM

3,105 posts, read 4,801,568 times
Hey DK, (Anyone else is also most welcome to jump in here).
You seemed like you may know about tomatoes. I have a variety of them planted in planters in different places in my yard, keep them well watered, they get lots of sun, have a lot of tomatoes on the plants, just starting to get red.

Here's my problem - just before they get the perfect red color to pick them, they are rotting from the bottom up. They look gorgeous then I look at the bottom and it is rotten. They are not touching the ground or anything. What gives?

I picked some today that are still sorta green just so hopefully they will sit on the counter and ripen. Don't know if they will taste as good though. I'm so disappointed.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,812,680 times
Bottom up from where?

The stalk? Too much water and possibly a root borer insect...Planters could contain soured soil..

Bottom of the tomato? A moth layed eggs on the bloom and you are seeing the results...

AND It could be a Blight..some varities are not resistant...always check that in the plants you buy..

Give the extension agent a call..you are paying his salary...good luck...sounds like the 'Farmers Market to the rescue..

Old 08-05-2008, 07:27 AM

4,899 posts, read 7,651,510 times
End rot or blossom end rot is what it's called. Usually caused by inconsistent watering, and this year would be a perfect year for it.

One wet year, I kept water on the tomatoes all the time, soil always damp because of the infrequent but heavy rains. It worked to some extent but the fruit was really watery.

I think tomatoes actually like a slightly drier season, personally. The fruit tastes better. Smaller size, but better taste. Good for roma's and such..

I think I have a few quarts of tomato jam left over. Might go good with those buckwheat cakes and sausage that Mr. Kennedy decided to allude to in another thread.

Great. Add a lb or two from me in the obesity thread

(oh and my old neighbors used a straw mulch on their plants- that seemed to really help their problem a lot)

Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 AM

1,500 posts, read 5,039,306 times
For some reason it seems if you plant your tomatoes near the dryer vent they tend to do better than the ones that aren't.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:39 AM

3,105 posts, read 4,801,568 times
Thanks DK, Three, and Jan,
The stalk is in great shape as is the rest of the plant itself. It's the individual almost ripe tomato (well, several of them) that has the rotting occurring.

From reading your answers I think the problem is ME. I think I've been giving my tomatoes too much water. I'll cut back and see how that works, luckily most tomatoes are still green so hopefully they can still be saved.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:34 PM

257 posts, read 732,913 times
pep rolls and slaw dogs...mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 PM

304 posts, read 530,972 times
Default Can't believe I'm sharing this...

Oh my, this is the funniest thing ever, but terribly sad (in a pathetic kind of way!).

We had a tenant farmer who skipped common sense and brains when he was in the creation line.

He went out and poached a wild turkey.

He took it home and froze it for Thanksgiving.

Pulled it out of the freezer for Thanksgiving and asked my mother if he had to defrost it before he cleaned it!

He'd frozen it, feathers and all!

But for my vote, it's sliced watermelon on a summer porch seeing who can spit the seeds the furthest.

or

Fresh from the vine tomatoes, sliced, served on a small plate with salt.

Whenever I need to go home, I'll have one of these!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia