Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 10:36 AM

566 posts, read 1,578,740 times

Advertisements

I hope this isn't in violation of the rules:

Vote early, vote as often as you like, but I hope you'll vote for WV.

Story From It’s Parkersburg’s day on ESPN - News, Sports, Jobs, Community Information - Parkersburg News and Sentinel

Quote:
PARKERSBURG -Today's the day.
The day ESPN introduces Parkersburg to the rest of America.
The day our city and its sports teams will be placed in the national spotlight by the all-sports network.
During its 6 p.m. edition of SportsCenter, ESPN will run two segments on Parkersburg, one of 20 communities in the United States selected for its TitleTown USA competition.
Last week, an ESPN production crew spent two days in Parkersburg gathering material for its presentation. It visited numerous sites around the community, including the three high schools - Parkersburg High School, Parkersburg South and Parkersburg Catholic - that have won 192 West Virginia state sports championships.
It also shot film of the Erickson All-Sports Facility and from the overlook at Fort Boreman Park.
It will combine those scenes with highlights from the 192 state titles to put together one of the two segments featuring Parkersburg.
The other segment will come from last Friday's TitleTown rally conducted at Stadium Field. Approximately 4,500 coaches, athletes, cheerleaders, band and dance team members and local sports fans turned out to celebrate Parkersburg's selection as a TitleTown finalist.
ESPN was there for the three-hour duration of the event, capturing all the highlights, including skydiver Ted Williams' pinpoint landing near the 50-yard line while displaying a banner carrying the logos of the three high schools.
The ESPN production crew kept cajoling the crowd to get involved for its cameras and the locals - who braved 90-degree heat to be part of the show - obliged every time.
Wendi Nix, an ESPN personality who served as the host of the Parkersburg segment, surrounded the TitleTown stage with athletes and cheerleaders from the three high schools, while a representative of each school carried their flag.
Nix also interviewed Parkersburg sports figure Mike Hayden, an all-state running back at PHS who served as that school's athletics director as well as a successful head football coach at Parkersburg South. Hayden made a strong case as to why Parkersburg should be TitleTown USA.
Those who miss the 6 p.m. SportsCenter will have plenty of other opportunities to see the segments on Parkersburg, as they also will be broadcast during the 11 p.m. and 1 a.m. airings of SportsCenter as well as during hourly replays that will run throughout the morning on Wednesday.
Also, ESPN Classic, Channel 27 for Parkersburg cable subscribers of Suddenlink Communications, will air a replay of the 2006 football game between Parkersburg High and Parkersburg South - a 42-3 Big Reds victory - at 2 p.m. today.
TitleTown voting begins Wednesday at http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/titletown/index. (broken link)
There are no restrictions to the number of times any individual can vote. The winner will be announced by ESPN on Sunday.
Other cities vying to be TitleTown USA include Green Bay, Wisc.; Louisville, Ky.; Gainesville, Fla.; Detroit; Williamsport, Pa.; Boston; Los Angeles; Columbus, Ohio; Chapel Hill, N.C.; Ann Arbor, Mich.; San Francisco; Pittsburgh; Valdosta, Ga.; Knoxville, Tenn.; Chicago; Lawrence. Kan.; Palo Alto, Calif.; Massillon, Ohio; and New York City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:07 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Voting starts today and Parkersburg is featured today on the on-line video.

ESPN - TitleTown USA - SportsCenter

Old 07-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Thanks Threerun, for some reason they haven't opened the voting yet, ESPN just says it will be "some time today".

I'll post back if I catch it opening.

I'm a Patriot myself, as are my sons and grandchildren. Parkersburg South was built in the 1960s, I believe, and always played it's 'home' games at the Parkersburg High stadium. Sort of strange when we played PHS as a home game.

In the 1990s, the people of South Parkersburg decided it was time to build a stadium the Patriots could call home. I don't have the exact numbers, but Erickson Field was built almost solely on donations from residents and business, local and state gov't. did not get involved until it was impossible to ignore the effort.

I feel the Erickson project shows one very good reason why we should be considered in the running for TitleTown.

Last edited by Two-Rivers; 07-23-2008 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: Erickson Field

Old 07-23-2008, 10:02 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
There's some tough competition... Green Bay, Pittsburgh, NYC.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:05 AM

Vote early, Vote often.

Did ya catch my edit above Snorpus?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:07 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,235,461 times
Yup, I see it.

I'll vote for Parkersburg, but Steeler Nation is wide and vast.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 AM

175 posts, read 564,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Vote early, Vote often.

Did ya catch my edit above Snorpus?
WOW!!! Just like a real election!! Wonder if any dead people will vote in this one too!!??

Old 07-23-2008, 03:51 PM

Voting is open. But they have us listed as Parkersburg, Va.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
Voting is open. But they have us listed as Parkersburg, Va.
Just voted. They have corrected their mistake.

Alas, must have been another person who did not know West Virginia is a state. Thank heavens someone there did or at least someone told them.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia