Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 08:44 AM

18 posts, read 114,707 times

Advertisements

I've been researching a place to call home for some time now, and I have to say that West Virginia is sounding more and more like the number one spot on my list

But I have a serious question here, why don't more people want to move to WV? What makes people leave? I realize I am luckier than most in my career (registered nurse) and can pretty much find a job somewhere, is the economy why people don't flock to WV? The weather?

I lived in Vermont for many years so I understand the 10 mile drives to go one mile as the crow flies and the hills/ice/winter driving. I think I can handle the WV winters unless there is something no one is telling lol

So why doesnt everyone want to move to WV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 09:37 AM

21,144 posts, read 41,987,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeseeking View Post
I've been researching a place to call home for some time now, and I have to say that West Virginia is sounding more and more like the number one spot on my list

But I have a serious question here, why don't more people want to move to WV? What makes people leave? I realize I am luckier than most in my career (registered nurse) and can pretty much find a job somewhere, is the economy why people don't flock to WV? The weather?

I lived in Vermont for many years so I understand the 10 mile drives to go one mile as the crow flies and the hills/ice/winter driving. I think I can handle the WV winters unless there is something no one is telling lol

So why doesnt everyone want to move to WV?
The #1 reason is the poor economy-------Charleston (the capital) apparently has lost a lot of population in the 1960's onward.

The weather can be an issue as well------although the winters in Charleston/Huntington are milder than, say Weirton.

I have been toying with moving to Charleston but; this Wash DC native left DC 30 years ago courtesy of of the '4 season' climate (I hate snow and especially ice) for California then Arizona. Admittedly; the 'bloom is off the rose' for many places here in the West as of late.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:24 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,350,024 times
I think it's mostly the economy, reputation, and some people want more of the glitz and glamour of BIG cities (or close to big cities). Most people think of us all as poor, stupid hillbillies with outhouses and no running water. You can still find some places like that back in the hollers and there are a lot of old coal mining/timber towns that would probably be better off razed and rebuilt.

As to Charleston and its population, I'd be curious to see a comparison of the stats of the Kanawha Valley rather than Charleston alone. That would give more of an indication as to whether "Charleston" has lost a large population or if they are still in the area. Land in Charleston is scarce. Even with housing as it is nationally, they are still building a lot of spec homes in South Charleston and Putnam County.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:40 PM

1,502 posts, read 7,360,121 times
[quote=vec101;4600608]I think it's mostly the economy, reputation, and some people want more of the glitz and glamour of BIG cities (or close to big cities). Most people think of us all as poor, stupid hillbillies with outhouses and no running water. [quote]

What? You have running water Where do people use the bathroom with no outhouses?

Excuse me, I have to go check the moonshine now.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:00 PM

4,932 posts, read 8,880,544 times
Why doesn't everyone live in WV? Because they don't know any better and don't know what they are missing!

Old 07-25-2008, 02:13 PM
BJC

336 posts, read 1,183,689 times
AMEN tbailey1138

Old 07-25-2008, 10:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,761,178 times
I graduated from Charleston High School in 1984 (it has long since been torn down of course). I graduated with a class of something in the neighborhood of 225 kids, and probably half or more left the state that same Summer upon graduation. It was a trend that had been happening for a while already at that point, and still to a degree continues. And yes, much has to do with the economy.

Back then at least, the kids would discuss this with each other, and basically say they did not want to get "stuck" being a coal miner, or if in Charleston, having to work at one of the chemical plants, in order to make a decent living wage. Your only other alternatives were RARE jobs in banking or finance, or the rest being service jobs such as at the mall, for barely more than the minimum wage. This alone caused many to leave quickly upon leaving High School, in fear that if they hung around too long they'd again, get "trapped" and never be able to leave later.

Then too, regarding Charleston, it was just plain boring in the early '80s. Town Center Mall had just opened, but there was no Corridore G shopping district, or the Clay Center, and even the downtown area was sparse as this was before the remodel, so there weren't any trees down there and everything was in a tan brick. Most national chain stores and restaurants (other than fast food) avoided Charleston because it wasn't close enough to any larger market areas to get spillover spenders.

I can't speak for it today because as my name says, I live in Atlanta now. But I know that there are more shopping options for people there. Still, geographically, Charleston is still a good 3.5 to 4 hour drive to larger market areas like Pittsburgh. So you don't get "day trippers" from these areas coming into Charleston for tourism, and compared to similar sized cities like Chattanooga, it's still a relatively sleepy town in terms of attractions and economy, anyway.

Eventually, we grow out of certain desires, though. We reach an age where malls and shopping or eating out every night aren't that important, and we don't care if there's an aquarium in a town or not. Then we find a place like WV and decide to settle back down to a quieter and simpler life. Maybe it's not a bad thing that this is the way it still is up there.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 41,987,670 times
My bio mother went to Charleston HS and graduated ca. 1948.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 AM

396 posts, read 920,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
So you don't get "day trippers" from these areas coming into Charleston for tourism, and compared to similar sized cities like Chattanooga, it's still a relatively sleepy town in terms of attractions and economy, anyway.
I am visiting Chattanooga this weekend (Bienvenue à/Willkommen zu/Benvenuto a/Welcome to Amerivespa 2008!)
Honestly, it's hard to compare Chattanooga and Charleston. Chattanooga is vivid, booming, fresh; Charleston is slow, stagnant and sleepy. it has its charm and attraction but I would't compare it to Chattanooga. Ch. reminds me Pittsburgh.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:44 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,268,770 times
We have most of Pennsy here this weekend...somewhere between 50,000 to 80,000 bikes and bikers...all bringing an influx of money to Morgantown..
Proves the old adage, where theres a Harley...there's money...and the regulars knew to drive a little slower and put out the welcome mat...
Many have/will travel through the country-side and even buy property here for weekend get-a-ways...love the/our old curvy roads...

Parades today at 1 pm and fireworks tonight!
Glad the weather is so good...Go Mountainfest!

2008 MountainFest Motorcycle Rally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia