Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 07:50 PM

295 posts, read 320,350 times

Advertisements

WHO CARES, all POLITICIANS ARE CORRUPT TO THE BONE AND FEED OFF THE MASSES!!!

When I hear a POLITICIAN state NO MORE TAXES, then, and only then, will I believe his sincereity but they all say that so who gives a damn!

ABOLISH THE INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE AND ALL STATE TAXES and we will have honest government not a bunch of PARASITES who feed off my income and property that I own!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 05:19 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJW View Post
I am an African american female who was born and raised in WV. I lived there for 36 years. I lived in North central WV. My experiences were mostly great. I would have to say that in the town I lived in black families tend to live in one particular area. However, my husband and I bought a home in a predominately white neighborhood and had no problems. We had some wonderful neighbors who we miss to this day. I would not say that their is no racism there, but you will find that everywhere. There are areas in the state that I would not go as an afro american because they are known for being very racist. But generally areas like Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg, Charleston, Beckley, Oak Hill, to name a few you will find more African Americans than other areas. Also, I should mention that I worked for several years in a town that had a racist reputation. I actually was a little nervous about the area, but it turned out to be a great experience and I met many kind people there. At first, I would walk into places and everyone would just stare, but after people got to know me and that stopped and they would just speak or wave hello. Having moved away and lived in areas I have to say that West Virginians are some of the friendliest people around. It really is a great state.
I think that's absolutely true. Their are racists, black and while racists, anywhere but West Virginia has fewer than most places. Appalachians have a history of tolerance and tend to judge people on their behavior and attitude, not the color of their skin. North Central West Virginia is an area with model race relations. I have never seen a problem with it here.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:31 AM

18 posts, read 70,957 times
West Virginia really isn't a racist state. I mean theres tons of rednecks here who use the "N" word alot, but really... they are closet liberals. They just don't want to admit that they are actually fine with black people because they think its funny to be racial. I've seen redneck families in WV invite black people over for thanksgiving on more occasions than one, including mine. But living in Maryland, I am more exposed to "reverse racism" where blacks are racists towards whites. That is much much worse than whites towards blacks in WV. People in Maryland OFTEN ask me "are there lot of KKK's in WV?" "Do they really kill black people in WV?" I often say, you are more likely to die in the ghetto by a black person in Baltimore or DC than get killed by a white person in West Virginia" It's just funny to see their facial reaction after I tell them that blacks are actually safer in WV than in Baltimore/DC.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:41 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutally Honest View Post
West Virginia really isn't a racist state. I mean theres tons of rednecks here who use the "N" word alot, but really... they are closet liberals. They just don't want to admit that they are actually fine with black people because they think its funny to be racial. I've seen redneck families in WV invite black people over for thanksgiving on more occasions than one, including mine. But living in Maryland, I am more exposed to "reverse racism" where blacks are racists towards whites. That is much much worse than whites towards blacks in WV. People in Maryland OFTEN ask me "are there lot of KKK's in WV?" "Do they really kill black people in WV?" I often say, you are more likely to die in the ghetto by a black person in Baltimore or DC than get killed by a white person in West Virginia" It's just funny to see their facial reaction after I tell them that blacks are actually safer in WV than in Baltimore/DC.
I agree, West Virginia people are very friendly and I hardly ever see racism! And I live in a pretty white community

Old 05-28-2010, 06:15 PM

95 posts, read 290,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutally Honest View Post
No truer words have been spoken.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
I never, ever hear anyone use the N word where I am. Never. Now growing up in Alabama . . well that's a different story. But that was 40 years ago too.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:24 PM

7 posts, read 11,716 times
Most blacks there are born there. I grew up in northern WV, and most of the black kids were friends with everyone.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:06 PM

10 posts, read 24,083 times
We love everyone here in West "By God" Virginia

Old 02-01-2011, 07:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,175 times
You will find ignorance and bigotry in every state of this nation. But as for most of us West Virginians we do not care about your race,religious affiliation,etc. Good people are good people everything else is no different than your eye color. If you are an honest,hard working person of moral integrity you will be welcomed. WV has a horrible reputation that is undeserving. Yes you will have small town issues to deal with but its also a place where you will have several people you do not know pass by you every day and they smile,wave,and say good afternoon. We are a very diversified state with many good qualities to offer.

Old 02-04-2011, 08:18 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,036,538 times
Bottom line... if you're a nice person come and visit us in Morgantown. You will find a small city with welcoming people and the feel of a larger town without the negatives...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJCJT...eature=related
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia