Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times

Advertisements

If anyone is interested there will be Rally Racing in Randolph county this weekend, should be rather exciting. The race on Friday is held only a few miles from my house!

Here is a link to the article on the intermountain

Rally W.Va. Gears up for Weekend - The InterMountain

Randolph County will be invaded with street legal rally cars and motorcycles this Friday and Saturday as they blast over area dirt roads during the third annual 2008 Rally West Virginia, competing for the shortest time in tackling the challenging course.

"We love the rally because it brings a lot of people to the area," Randolph County Convention and Visitors Bureau Executive Director Brenda Pritt said. "I think it is going to be neat to watch the motorbikes."

Pritt said she went to some of the spectator areas last year and enjoyed the racing action. She said the roads involved are becoming some of the racers' favorites.

"The rally brings in many different people from different places and even different nationalities," Pritt said.

Rally West Virginia is part of the U.S. Rally Championship and Max-Attack two-wheel drive Racing Series.

This is the second year back for USRC and race three of four on the East Coast. This is also the second year back for the Max-Attack Triple Crown Racing Series part of The Rally Sports Group of America Inc.

"We are honored and a little bit humbled to be part of the MaxAttack! series," Rally West Virginia chairman Mark Bowers said. "We are excited to have their support at the event. We are thrilled with the level of competition in both the two-wheel drive and all-wheel drive divisions. I will be intrigued to see the strategies employed by teams on this long and technically challenging event."

This is the second of three events for Max-Attack in its two-wheel drive championship. It has a total prize fund of $16,000. The winner in two-wheel drive overall will get $1,500, second place will receive $1,200, third place will receive $1,000, fourth place will receive $800 and fifth place in two-wheel drive overall will win $500.

New this year will be Rally-Moto, which has 20 bikes entered. These are the same bikes that compete in the famous Pairs to Dakar Rally.

According to information from Rally West Virginia, Performance Rally racing has long been a favorite form of motor sport in Europe, Asia, Africa and other parts of the world. In these places, rallies often draw crowds in the tens of thousands. Rallying is unlike any other type of car racing.

Performance Rally vehicles require certain safety equipment to protect the crew, according to Rally West Virginia. This includes a full roll cage, with door bars and triangulation, fire extinguishers and special seat belts. The crew must wear approved fireproof suits and helmets. All the cars that compete in the event are street legal vehicles that must pass all Department of Transportation inspections.

Rally West Virginia is sanctioned by NASA Rallysport and is part of the new Atlantic Rally Cup. There are 37 Rally cars entered for the event. Returning this year are drivers Enda McCormack, Martin Donnelly and Michael O'Leary in their Mitsubishi EVOs. Simon Wright and Hampton Bridwell will also return in there Rally Spec Ford Focus two-wheel drive cars and Don Kennedy and Scott Wilburn will be running in their Subaru Imprezas.

For more information, go to Rally West Virginia August 1 & 2 2008.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 AM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
Thanks for the heads-up. Won't make it this year, but if it continues, I've got it on my list of things I must do. Events like this are one of the best kept secrets, you'd think our state motorsports dept. (forget the exact title) would help promote things more. We hadn't heard of the Randolph Rally on this side of the state.

Right now I don't have anything street legal that I'd want to run in the dirt, I'll have to work on that because Rally is something I'd like to try. Been into dirt ovals for a while, turning right and going left.

Thanks for the links!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 AM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,663 times
I'm not sure how long its been going on.. This is only the 2nd year I've known about it. But it is fairly new

Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 PM

566 posts, read 1,579,046 times
The story said third annual, so my guess is this is the third year.

There used to be a road course over on your side of the state. Is it still running? They used to have days where you could bring your street car out and run laps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia