U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 11:17 AM

7 posts, read 39,842 times
Default cell phone service in west virginia

Hello,
Wondering about how your cell phone service is in West Virginia. Are you able to get any? I looked up Verizon and it showed a lot of area not covered. Visting WV this weekend and wondering if my cell will work or not. Moving to wv in a year or two.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM

3,105 posts, read 4,590,128 times
What's a cell phone?

Sorry, don't mean to be mean but always wonder why people think we live in the stone age. Verizon may not cover the whole state but then you will go into roam and you will have coverage with another cell company's towers (I think that is how it works - I'm not a cell phone tech).

My cell is AT&T and I get coverage all over the state including areas auch as Canaan Valley. There are pockets where I loose coverage (ex: a couple places along I-79 for a few minutes) and my cell doesn't work in my house (does work in my yard).

Last edited by vec101; 07-31-2008 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-31-2008, 11:36 AM

74 posts, read 244,183 times
I also have AT&T and have never had any trouble with service, except on some areas of I-79. In Huntington, Verizon recently bought out WV Wireless and is planning on making the official switch soon to Verizon. (I saw them putting up new Verizon signs this weekend at Pullman Square.) Also, my husband has a co-worker who recently got a contract with WV Wireless and the display on their phone says Verizon. so, you shouldn't have any trouble (depending on where you are) getting service in WV. The only places you won't have good service will be in the very remote areas of the state (i.e., state parks).

Old 07-31-2008, 11:41 AM

4,440 posts, read 7,045,197 times
If you have Sprint, 'rots 'o 'ruck! It was fine when I lived in the Eastern Panhandle but it's non-existent out here when you travel 10 minutes from either side of I-79.

When this plan dies, I'm going with US Cell.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:08 PM

939 posts, read 1,802,215 times
If you are going to be near a minimally populated area, you'll be fine. The only time I've not been able to get a signal in WV is in Ruby Hospital in Morgantown because it's built like a frickin' bunker.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM

566 posts, read 964,236 times
I had AT&T up until this Spring. I'm on the western side of the state along the Ohio river, if I drive 5 miles East or West, I lose signal. Going East, it's 70 miles of no signal or a weak and intermittent signal. This is why AT&T agreed to waive the $179 cancellation fee (canceled a month early).

Alltel has made the most progress, in my area, toward closing the gap between here and Clarksburg. People still have to use hilltops to get a signal in many areas.

I don't think anyone gets a signal at the I-79 and US 50 interchange. Too close to the towers maybe? There are several towers on the mountaintop there.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 PM

241 posts, read 492,711 times
You'll be fine as long as you don't use a Bluetooth earpiece. We see people who look like they're talking to themselves and we shoot em cause we don't want no crazy people here.

Seriously, I have Sprint and my plan has free roaming and I have no problems. The newer phones get much better reception as long as you remember not to touch the internal antenna while you're talking.

I have a Katayna and it's great and the battery life is awesome.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:39 PM

4,440 posts, read 7,045,197 times
Where in WV are you? My Sprint coverage is only as good as long as you can hear I-79. As soon as I get south of Weston, I'm dead until Charleston.

Elkins? Fuhhgetaboutit.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM

246 posts, read 559,335 times
I live in Chas and have Alltel. If you stay on the main roads you'll be okay. if you get off the beaten track good luck although Alltel works in the weirdest places.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:32 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,425,230 times
My cell phone service is the best in the state...works out on the road but not at the house...couldn't ask for better service than that...provider is not a factor as the hills above the 'holler blocks out everyone...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia