U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:58 PM

11,338 posts, read 19,286,500 times
There is a Super Walmart at East Point Mall on I-79 at Rt 50 right on the city limits border between Clarksburg and Bridgeport, and if I remember correctly, the Target is a few miles north off I-79 at Middletown Mall near Fairmont.

Having grown up there I learned to drive in snow early. My Texas wife had never seen snow until we lived in Reno, so I took her out into a large empty parking lot and taught her to drive in snow by making her put it into a few skids and get a feel for it. That was right after she nearly put us into the Truckee River in downtown Reno. Remember, always turn the wheel in the direction of the skid, and try to go easy on the brakes.

And don't let them tease you about anthills and being a flatland furriner. Where I live now, I was surprised to find, that the highest point in WV isn't even as high as our foothills, let alone the 12,000 foot mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 08:20 PM

4,715 posts, read 8,428,671 times
All the big boxes are in Clarksburg/Bridgeport. Not much in Fairmont (17 miles north) and everything in Morgantown...about 35 miles on the freeway...we use the Pittsburgh Airport for most flights...real mountains, approx 3,000 ft...about 35 miles away to the east...Rt 50 traverses the 4 mountain ridges..the secret to not being taxed to death is to get out in the country...stay out of the cities if at all possible...

Old 08-02-2008, 08:49 AM

63 posts, read 200,143 times
Yes, you are correct about our hills being an ant hill. We are below sea level. So a hill will probably look like a mountain to me. I love the fact that your tax on food is only 3%. That is a steal. I am getting very excited about flying up to visit WV. Everyone has been so helpful and kind.

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 08-02-2008, 09:13 AM

4,442 posts, read 7,050,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
And don't let them tease you about anthills and being a flatland furriner. Where I live now, I was surprised to find, that the highest point in WV isn't even as high as our foothills, let alone the 12,000 foot mountains.
It's easier to hike at most of the trails at 12,000 ft out west vs. the craggy up-and-down trails found out here.

Trust me.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:10 AM

What gave me the he-be-ge-bees about Louisana was the levees...crawdad eating was not so bad...but those levee's are 75' about the roads and thats a lot of brown water...

Old 08-02-2008, 01:01 PM

MMMM!!!!!! Crawfish is the very best eating you can get here in Louisiana. Hot and Spicy! Yep, we definitely have alot of brown water here in Louisiana. You will never catch me tubing in any of the rivers around here. Everyone laughs because I won't go tubing around here. Forget the alligators and the snakes the water is just gross. Is the water clear in WV? I see that there are alot of tubing and white water rafting up there. I might consider some of these activities if the water is clear or even blue. Oh, what about the food? Anything spicy???

Thanks,
hatnic

Old 08-02-2008, 01:57 PM

Ok, Hatnic...here's the scoop...Our creeks and rivers are very clear water...only in high rainy weather are they muddy...and they are filled with crawdads...we use them for fishing...bass, panfish and trout (the small ones)

Everyone tubes..most have their special favorite places...also canoe and kayak...
Tex-mex is on the rise...some have their own versions of salsa and pico degalia...I like the flaming mustard at a chinese place called the Evergreen in Morgantown...most like the regular food...what is regional are hotdogs and some are fire in the bun...certainly no predatory reptiles...

Wv in the summer is recreation in every direction...water, great golf courses, food and little cafes for breakfast...we drove all the way to Hundred today for a breakfast at Miss Blues...been a way station on the Pike for a hundred years...Ole (nice but old) Lillian could hardly keep up with the crowd...eggs a flyin' bacon fryin' sausage gravy and fried potatoes...just the regular breakfast for 100 or so...and they open at 5am on a Saturday...
glad we made it as they were running low on supplies by 10 am...

what I'm getting at is this, you will find these little hide-a-ways and make them your own...It's still like that here...peaceful, keys in the car...that type of thing...since 1971, we have lost two items to theft...one a chainsaw when the miners were on strike in 1978 and a welder..wanted that item for work of course...might have been the same person...
that's not to bad for 36 years...pretty safe place...not any fenced-in,gated homes..unless its a drug dealer or politician...they seem to need the privacy, good luck.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:21 PM

Thanks so much. I can't wait to visit and possibly move to WV. I am very excited about our trip.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:53 PM

3,105 posts, read 4,592,207 times
When in WV, it is a law - you have to have hot dogs with cole slaw on them and fresh ramps fried in potatoes (there are complete threads on those two). Also, moonshine is still available.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:01 PM

vec101: I wouldn't speak about that cole slaw thing to much..your in C-town and they really take it seriously down there...might consider moving a little north if its a big problem...
I like slaw on a dog when I'm down south...its the mix of the sauce and all...up here...its not a factor...the sauce does it all...

Moonshine? Certainly one of the last industries left un-taxed to death...and all over the state...did you know that even young and middle aged mothers of growing children drip off a jug or two in certain reaches of Wv...just for medicinal purposes of course..colic, dipseptia and the like...just like their old grandmothers did? and it helps a lot on wash days with the ironing and such...as a pain killer and attitude adjuster.

Ramps...just a figment of the imagination unless its March or April...we are what we are (eat)...have a great weekend...dk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia