Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 03:12 PM

5 posts, read 17,818 times

Advertisements

Have lived in several states, and I tend to believe some towns are just meaner than normal. It's hard to say for sure tho, it could be just my personal experiences weren't typical. Does anyone else have an opinion about it, and what are some places that you think are "meaner", or nicer, in WV, or anywhere. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 05:24 AM

246 posts, read 878,421 times
Charleston isn't mean just unfriendly.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,357,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kookamus View Post
Charleston isn't mean just unfriendly.
Do you mean Charleston proper or the greater Charleston area? Must be all those dang foreigners who have moved into the area. (Foreigners = one not born or raised in WV OR one born in another state but has not adapted to the WV ways. One is not a foreigner if from another state but has adopted WV ways).

I've not found Charleston to be unfriendly. I really like Chas. Hate that you have had negative experiences to make you feel it's unfriendly.

Old 08-03-2008, 08:20 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,219,505 times
The Amish have a wonderful term for that... anyone who isn't from the local area is said to be from "Away." Doesn't matter where, if you're not from here, you're from "Away."

Old 08-03-2008, 10:15 AM

638 posts, read 1,845,564 times
Not being from Charleston, or even West Virginia, I guess that's me they're talking about.

If I'm the worst of the bunch, this is a good thing, since all I can really do is surround myself with nice people. This is the only cure I've found for the meanness. I picked Charleston to heal, and so far, it's tried to bear with me.

Probably depends "where" in Charleston though. A woman who lives across the river told me a neighbor poisoned her dogs, people have tried to steal her car, etc., and that's the nice part of town. Nice is only on the outside I guess.

I don't know much about Charleston . . my neighbors give me fresh tomatos, talk endlessly if I want to share a cup of conversation, and are actually quite friendly considering that I'm mean. They must be the 48% who have firearms, so maybe their tolerance level of mean is a little higher.

I can't say there isn't an occasional turd floating down the river here. Not so sure I'm the problem, just an exuse for their unpleasantness. Being that I'm trying to heal, I pass along the only cure I know, and try to be nice.

I'd recommend Orlando (in Florida) if you want mean. It's where I'm originally from, and I always found it difficult to squeak a hello out of people on the street there. I was a stranger in a strange land, because more people would say hello to me in one week on the streets of New York City than I've heard my whole life in Florida. Why they would have have a town named Orlando in West Virginia is beyond me, and honestly, I've been hesitant about going there.

I wouldn't rely on rumors, just travel a bit, mean is out there. Look at people's souls -- their countenance falls the closer you get to it.

Last edited by r601020; 08-03-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 02:25 PM

312 posts, read 1,056,962 times
Is that fresh tomatoes my neighbors are flinging against my house?????...jus' kidding.
That's an interesting question, there's probably as many answers as there are people.
i have seen people who were polite and smiling, but still mean. I'd rather have surly but good hearted, any day. I too, may be a foreigner, since I wasn't born in WV, and not sure if I adopted WV ways, since I'm not sure what they are yet. That's a good idea for a thread of it's own.

Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 PM

566 posts, read 1,574,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbamboo View Post
Does anyone else have an opinion about it, and what are some places that you think are "meaner", or nicer, in WV, or anywhere. What do you all think?
New York City

A close second, Newport News, Va., the first person I said hello to, produced an ice pick from his back pocket. I was near the shipyard waiting for permits, and made eye contact with the wrong person.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:15 PM

312 posts, read 1,056,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
New York City

A close second, Newport News, Va., the first person I said hello to, produced an ice pick from his back pocket. I was near the shipyard waiting for permits, and made eye contact with the wrong person.
Wow, 2 rivers, that's downright rude. Did you try sayin' "Hey, wazzup?"
Sounds a little like LA. Making eye contact at a stop light, with a car load of gang-bangers: not a good idea.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:55 AM

967 posts, read 2,989,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Rivers View Post
New York City

ROFL! I live here in Hampton Roads, and even I don't go to the ship yards!

In my year of going to Hinton/Brooks/Sandstone, I have yet to run across anyone who I would consider mean. Just the opposite. I've learned to say "hello", not "How are you?". The latter has led to hour long conversation! I'm sure there are people everywhere who are just sour by nature. In those cases, remember this: Lifes too short to hang around people you don't like.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 AM

19,533 posts, read 22,414,955 times
I used to find Shepherdstown to be a little mean spirited / sort-of. Hard to really put into words; exclusive would be the best I guess. Conversations at events usually centered on where you lived and what you did first, then progress.

I actually think it's changed a bit with some of the new folks moving in.

I remember getting the cold shoulder many times at Cress Creek CC when I started working in commercial lending. When asked where I lived and I replied "Kearneysville", it was like, "oh... that's nice", then the wall went up.

Suited me fine, we lived in a great neighborhood with great folks.

You may find this hard to believe but I'm not quite into the uppity crap, lol.

(Of course now I live in Bridgeport )

Man I've gotta move to the c-c-c-c-c-ountry.. Fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia