U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 04:54 AM

49 posts, read 143,641 times
Default anyone from Hinton West Virginia

would love to hear the thoughts of people from Hinton. We are looking at property in Hinton and have friends in Shady Spring and Hillsboro. What is the town like? hospitals? job opportunites? shopping???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 AM

107 posts, read 238,923 times
Hello...I am from hinton and have a business in hinton and lewisburg. The hospital here is appalachin regional and the job opportunities are mainly with the technology centers of man-tech and others in the building or the core of engineers at the bluestone damn. There is also opportunities with brayman contruction group along with 5 restaurants, krogers,magic mart,go-mart,rite-aid,3 insurance offices,photography offices,attornies,along with government jobs and the hospital and doctor offices.More and more jobs are planned and coming to the area but as of now I believe I covered most. The shopping except for festivals like train days and wv water festival are irrelevant and I would forward you to to princeton 15mintues , beckley 30minutes, and lewisburg being 45mintues away.If you love being near the water you will love the greenbrier,new river, and bluestone lake. There is a golf course called willowwood country club just outside of town. I think hinton is great because you can relax and it is conviently close to everything you may need. Feel free to ask any more questions you have.It is bigger than hillsboro I couldnt really compare it to that.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:18 PM

306 posts, read 848,125 times
Visit hinton often..just love it..

hope u find what ya looking for.......i find the town very friendly..

Old 11-23-2007, 01:09 PM

12,975 posts, read 1,956,599 times
Hi, we are also looking at property in Hinton. My husband currently has his own excavating business, but we are looking to purchase a second home down there and eventually relocate. I am a social worker but also am considering staying home for awhile. I am very nervous thinking about this, as I've grown up in VT, however, my husband's cousin lives in Beckley. Are there excavating opportunities or a need for another excavating business? I would love for him to maintain a small company down there as this has been his whole life.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 PM

107 posts, read 238,923 times
Trombley,

Yes I would think there is plenty of jobs for him.I know for myself I need someone in the near future again. It depends also what kind of exacavating. Here alot of 2nd homes and chalets are being built and more than what contractors can build. Lewisburg and Beckley both are also growing fast. In my opinion I think he could very easily. For example my businesses and investments I could someone with a experienced background.I have seen the area slow and now grow again with the demand of 2nd homes and retirees coming here along with the nature not all are leaving the state as before or coming back as soon as they leave. VT is beautiful and I hope you find this as well Im biased but I love it. Summers County is in the middle between three cities growing fast and that in itself should generate opportunities as well as here.

Last edited by g_massie; 11-23-2007 at 06:33 PM.. Reason: wrong

Old 12-02-2007, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 3,657 times
I was born & raised in Hinton. It was great growing up there but at age 19, I moved to Charlotte, NC where the job opportunities were plenty. I worked in restaurants while I was in high school but I didn't want to do this my whole life.
I go back & visit about every 3 months or so as my father and other relatives still live there. It seems that when I go to Hinton, I rarely see any friends that I went to school with, basically I think that everyone left for the same reason that I did.
The lifestyle there is relaxed & peaceful. I do miss that. I would love to see business move in & give people there opportunities to make better lives without having to drive to Beckley, Princeton, or other surrounding areas.

Old 12-07-2007, 01:16 PM

49 posts, read 143,641 times
I went to visit Hinton, and found it a nice town, small, but to get into town, Beckley it was a bit too far out for me anyway. The lake was gorgeous really. I floated around Lewisburg and loved it there, but ended up buying land in Flat Top Lake. That was an ideal location, not far from town, and a really pretty neighborhood. What I loved was, besides being on the lake, it was a straight run into town on a road that I was not scared on!!! hahahah I will have to get used to the back roads though!!

Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM

967 posts, read 1,944,682 times
Default Moving to Hinton

Hello all,

I'm a Navy Pilot in Virginia Beach, getting ready to retire to Hinton- specifically Chestnut Mountain. My wife, and our two boys (5,12) and I have been there several times looking at land and absolutely love the area. We are so tired of dealing with traffic congestion and crowds! Our kids grumble when we have to drive back "home" We are more than ready to make the move to peace and quiet.

A few items I can't seem to get a good handle on: the tax system- I know the property taxes are low, however I hear a good deal of grumbling about automobile fees/taxes. Can anyone give me a general breakdown of the costs? Is it really that bad?

I hear there aren't any building codes/restrictions. How is property assesed if I build a new house?

I'm looking for a good builder to put a barn on my property, anyone have a name and number?

Mark in Virginia Beach

Old 03-20-2008, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,244 times
Mark, I am from Ft. Lauderdale, have a seasonal home on Hix mountain, 5 min. to Chestnut. If you dont mind hauling the kids up and down the mountain to town ( 20 Min or so each way.) you wont have a problem living the country life. I know a great builder in the area. How might I get you his number without posting it here.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:10 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,374,733 times
TC- Send Mark a Direct Message.

Mark- Since your post was back in January, you probably have these answers already, but in case not...

Personal Property Tax is primarily applied to autos, it's an annual tax based (I'm pretty sure) on the Blue Book value of your car. You have to prove you've paid the tax in order to renew your vehicle registration.

As to real property, every county has an Assessor, who determines the market value of land and buildings. I think State Law then says that the taxable value is 60% of the market value, and the millage rate is applied to that. There are different "classes" of property, depending on whether it's raw land, owner occupied, etc., and the millage is different for each class.

For example, the property we own near Hillsboro has a market value of $22,500, and a taxable value of $13,500. Raw land (non-farm) is Class 3, so a millage rate of about 130 means an annual tax bill of about $170.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia