U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 11:12 AM

131 posts, read 333,253 times

Advertisements

I recently took a trip to Hawks Nest Park and the Mystery Hole in Fayette County. The family had a good time and loved the area. I had the chance to talk to a few of the local folks, and they nothing but bad things to say about WV. Like the health care was not very good, unemployment rate is high, and what jobs there are around are low paying jobs. From what I saw it didn't appear that way. And was just wondering how you feel about WV. Do you think what these folks had to say is true or false?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 11:35 AM

3,105 posts, read 6,832,493 times
Did you enjoy the Mystery Hole? I just love that place.

This forum is full of posts discussing and debating the topics you mention. In my experience, people "on the street" would rather talk gloom and doom than anything positive. Seems human nature to like to complain.

By local folk, do you mean people who live near Hawks Nest or local as in from WV? Do have to say, the folks who live in more remote areas do not have the advantages, close job opportunities, etc. that people in more populated areas have. Our hills and mountains cover most of the state which has made travel and economic development in many areas much more difficult than in other states. We are a small state with wild terrain, throughout our history, it has caused many challenges. (Note: even though a lot of our mountains may not be huge, there are so many mountains and hills so steep you would have a true challenge trying to walk up them).

Old 08-31-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Did you enjoy the Mystery Hole? I just love that place.

This forum is full of posts discussing and debating the topics you mention. In my experience, people "on the street" would rather talk gloom and doom than anything positive. Seems human nature to like to complain.

By local folk, do you mean people who live near Hawks Nest or local as in from WV? Do have to say, the folks who live in more remote areas do not have the advantages, close job opportunities, etc. that people in more populated areas have. Our hills and mountains cover most of the state which has made travel and economic development in many areas much more difficult than in other states. We are a small state with wild terrain, throughout our history, it has caused many challenges. (Note: even though a lot of our mountains may not be huge, there are so many mountains and hills so steep you would have a true challenge trying to walk up them).

yes the folks in that general area.

the mystery hole - the people before us screamed while in there so a couple of people with us didn't want to go in what did i miss?

so the people that live near the cities like charleston have better job oppurtunities (more pay) and health care?
what are the winters like there?

Old 08-31-2008, 02:29 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,832,493 times
Winters in Chas are much milder than other parts of WV. However, it is still cold and we still get snow.

No one can describe the Mystery Hole - you just have to experience it. See the pix on their site Mystery Hole
Don't know why the people screamed - they must have been being silly.

Old 08-31-2008, 03:42 PM

246 posts, read 816,117 times
I have a place in Hico and am up in that area all the time. There are no decent jobs in that area. As for doctors i have been through several doctors in Charleston. If they went to WV med school they already have one strike against them. If it wasn't for SSI fayette county would fold like a pretzel.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:02 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,409,934 times
myskreen according to latest statistics in charleston gazette we've got a low unemployment rate. I think like most smaller cities, it depends upon your career track what job opportunities would be suitable for you. Try the charleston gazette classifieds online and see for yourself.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:41 PM

it was great to read everyone's thoughts. the family wants to plan another trip back to WV. already this time on the border near maryland. any thoughts on the area?
thanks everyone

Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,296,622 times
Several state parks are in the Deep Creek region...and a lot of history is there in Wv and Pa. Prickett's Fort...Ft. Necessity in Pa...water everywhere...fishing, mountains and The nicest lake is Cheat Lake at Morgantown...rent a boat for the day and fish and swim...

Winter is great too...ski at Nemacholin and Wisp...

HBL: unemployment in Morgantown...2.5% not bad for a youngster...

Old 09-02-2008, 01:09 PM

11,943 posts, read 13,409,934 times
DK 2.5% sounds like a national historic low record was set. So much humming going on in morgantown, and glad they see the merit of holding onto their small town feel. Really it's what's I find loveable about WV as a whole.
Morgantown reads to me like the interface between past and future- does that sound right? I don't live there, but that's my sketch impression when I was passing through.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:59 PM

4,714 posts, read 12,296,622 times
A few old buildings and some old houses on the south side...other than that so much has been built or builtover, it almost all looks brand new...the entry along the waterfront gives it that look...Star City into town...all that is new too...Mileground at the Airport...it looks all new too...

The majority of our employees are from Pennsi...taking that money back home to spend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or