Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 3,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGyrl View Post
I am new to this forum and trying to find out all I can about the Southern areas of WV as my husband is being transferred to Mingo County. I have been looking at previous threads about some of the southern counties and it doesn't seem like these are safe areas for newcomers. I've read comments stating there are a high number of "meth-labs," the people are "backwards and uneducated," and it is difficult to be accepted. If this is indeed true, where would be a town or county to look at that isn't a 2-hour drive away? We have worked in WV before (2002) in Weston and stayed in Clarksburg and everyone there was very friendly and accepting of us. Is that area considered more open-minded and accepting than the southern areas? We loved being in WV and considered moving there then but work took us to another place. Since we will be there for at least 3 years this time, we want to make WV our home and purchase some land (at least 50 acres). We are both originally from the mountains of Western NC and fully understand "outsiders" but some of the threads I've read make it sound as if it is almost impossible to ever be accepted in the rural areas. We are coming up to look for property in October but now I don't know where to begin the search. PLEASE give some advice on where we should look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2008, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,250 times
Default Logan county or mingo county do have good towns and people

Logan and Mingo Counties are good places to live.Because you have heard people say something negative about the place doesnt mean its a bad place.Because of people saying these sort of things it drives people out of WestVirgina and people like that are not reliable people there is help here and work.Have you ever been to southern west virgina you can go any where in southern west virgina and no one will bother you it is pretty safe.There is the hatfield and mcoy trail people travel all over and ride it on four wheelers.You can hike in the mountains.Its a nice quite place to raise a family and the people are always good people and they are friendly dependable people who i dont care who you are if they dont know ya you will see they will waive and say hell0. I Live there and its the home i love theres no place like it.My home away from home Logan West Virgina.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:03 PM

13 posts, read 33,375 times
Thanks Julie for the positive reply. We are actually leaving in the morning to come up for a week and are staying in Logan. I guess the only way to get a true picture of the area is to experience it yourself since everyone has their own opinion. I just got a little worried after reading some of the posts here!

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,604,680 times
I don't usually warm up to new folks very easily. After living in crime-laden cities and states, I moved to southern WV in 2005 and at that time, knew absolutely nobody here. I had never even driven through the state, much less lived or worked here.

SURPRISE! Folks welcomed me as if I were long lost kin. It took some serious getting used to. People wave just because you are driving by or because they are driving by and see you. Universal acceptance is what I found here. Completely unheard of from where I had been the previous 50+ years.

Crime? Sure, you'll find crime if you look for it. Most every city and state has a meth lab here or there. Those people don't bother you. They are not interested in anything you have nor anything you do. They have a few issues of their own to be concerned with. I am aware that drug use and alcoholism is a real social problem in this area - but that's given away by the number of AA and NA meetings that are listed in the paper. I guess obesity is also a serious social issue here since there is more than one weight watchers group here and restaurants seem to be touting heart healthy foods. Go figure.

Uneducated and backward folks. Yeah, I'm aware of some of those. I was aware of those just about everywhere I've gone from California to Maine and several places between. But depending on your self-image or attitude, much of that depends on yourself and how you deal with people who have lived a completely different lifestyle than you and have different experiences under their belts. If you want everyone to be a college graduate and to look it, well, you'll be disappointed.

West Virginians are plain people. You don't have to be a math scholar to be a coal miner. You see a lot of really dirty people in the mining towns. You could sweep your porch and sidewalk every day and still have coal dust scattered all over it. Such is life. That happens in a coal mining state. But you'll never find harder working people no matter where you go. And you'll never want for friendlier communities.

In just 2 years here, I found out exactly how welcoming this area had been to me. A group decided to invite the whole community to a cookout. I went. I knew 19 individuals and families that showed up from the same mountain hollow. I never knew more than one or two of my neighbors anywhere else I ever lived. And more than once, I was in a big city.

I can't speak for all areas of the state. But from what I've seen and heard, it's like this throughout the state.

Don't be too quick to judge the folks that seem like they are backward or uneducated. You might be surprised by the size of their hearts.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
Great posts Julie and Alice!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:49 AM

27 posts, read 62,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGyrl View Post
I guess the only way to get a true picture of the area is to experience it yourself since everyone has their own opinion. I just got a little worried after reading some of the posts here!
I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to you before you left on your trip. Hope you post your experience.

If convenience is what is most important to you, I'd suggest trying to find somewhere near route 119 (aka Corridor G) in Mingo or Logan County. That way, you'd be close to your husband's work, but still near a fairly major artery to Charleston.

Unless, of course, your husband's job is on the other end of the county from 119... which would be the Gilbert area.

Again, more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia