Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 12:48 PM

8 posts, read 28,330 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to West Virginia and any rural area is fine (we don't have kids), as long as we can get high speed internet. Any ideas?

We'd like to get at least 5 acres, with a small house, but the internet is most important.

Thanks in advance...this has been a very useful forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,081 times
Other thread somewhat answered your question re high-speed internet. Another thing to think about - how reliable is the internet in a given area. Does it have a tendency to go out during storms, snow, etc. If it is vital to your income, you may want to stick to a rural part of a more populated area. If lines are down in your area, chances are you will get them restored sooner in a more highly populated area than in a more remote area. In Kanawha or Putnam county, you can get 5 acres in a rural area that has a good sized high dollar housing development down the road.

You have me confused as far as giving you any advice. "Any rural area is fine" - have you been to WV? Our terrain is soooo varied. Are there not any other requirements that you are looking for?

Also, you have tagged your post Ivydale. That's in Clay County, correct? Are you looking for info on Clay County?

Old 10-06-2008, 08:24 PM

180 posts, read 352,204 times
I got the wireless internet through alltel..Its awesome high speed and take it where ever you go. Oh as long as your using a laptop..

Old 11-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks Vec,

Yes, we've been to WV many times, and we love it. I grew up on a farm in Upstate NY, and we're looking to get back to a real quiet lifestyle. We'd like some cleared land for an organic garden and some chickens, but other than that, just some nice terrain for ATV's, etc. Nothing special, and we're not picky, as long as we get reliable internet and not too awfully far from either Walmart or a decent grocery store. We do work from home.
Thanks for your input, and we really appreciate your taking time to share ideas.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyconn View Post
I got the wireless internet through alltel..Its awesome high speed and take it where ever you go. Oh as long as your using a laptop..
Hi bobbyconn,

Thanks for the heads up on Alltel. By chance, do you know the speed, and do you live in a small town or rural area?

I ask because I'm not sure of the quality of a cellular signal in the very rural areas. We're basically looking ot get as far out of town (almost any town), but still have services. We understand we can't have it both ways, so we can sacrifice a bit on how rural we get, as the quality internet is a must. Just trying to "thread the needle", so to speak!

We're headed back to WV in the next 2 weeks for a visit, and appreciate all the ideas people have shared. Thank you.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:52 PM

"In Kanawha or Putnam county, you can get 5 acres in a rural area that has a good sized high dollar housing development down the road."

We'll take a peek in these counties, too, I guess. Originally we shyed away, as we wanted to stay away from the population centers, but I recall that north of Chas had areas we liked, such as Sissonville.

It's a great point you crought up about the reliablilty of internet service. The reason we inquired about Clay county, was that we found a few properties that we thought were affordable, and had nice size acreage, too. I'll try and search about internet reliablity on the forum,and wee if it's viable down that way.

If not, we are very flexbible, and will consider any great ideas. Thanks again for your time and consideration!

Joe

Old 11-07-2008, 07:25 PM

Because of your ATV statement - have you looked into southern WV around Logan or in Madison, WV? The reason I mention that area - the Hatfield McCoy ATV Trail. Are you familiar with it? It's an ATV trail and the last I heard, it was 500 miles long.

Hatfield-McCoy Trails Official Web Site- Home Page and The Best ATV, Motocycle, and UTV Trails in the East - Hatfield-McCoy Trails

No offense to anyone from Logan, but it's not a town I would care to live in. However, a lot of people like it and I would think the internet would be pretty reliable, of course, depends on how far out you live. There is a Wal-Mart in Logan. Also, Corridor G makes it a pretty easy drive from Logan to all the stores at South Ridge in South Charleston and to Charleston (think it takes about an hour but it is a nice drive).

Couple things to keep in minds:
1. Some towns still just have internet through the phone lines (I couldn't live without my cable internet even if the phone is DSL) so that is another thing to check out.
2. You may find a place which has 12 acres, but when you go to see it, you discover 11 1/2 acres are steep mountains that you couldn't even walk on let alone use for anything.

You may also want to check out areas around Poca, Red House, Buffalo, Eleanor (areas of Putnam Co north of the Kanawha River). They are close to Charleston but rural and some parts very rural.

Not sure of the price you are looking to pay. REAL ESTATE CENTRAL, LLC has a couple listings:
$ 279,500 MLS #120667 2 bed, 1 bath, 1602sf, 80ac
$150,000 (Mobile Home) MLS #120716 2 bed, 2 bath, 1280sf, 11.6ac
$96,000 MLS #119131 3 bed, 1 bath, 1520sf, 11.68ac Route 4 Box 46aa Charleston, WV
There's also
$100,000 5 bed, 1 bath/1 half, 2190sf, 14ac Chapmanville, WV ELLIS REAL ESTATE
$79,600 MLS #118479 4 bed, 1 bath, 2200sf, 36.68ac 21 Summers Trail(S) Hamlin, WV
$62,900 MLS #120284 3 bed, 2 bath, 1375sf, 7.3ac 234 Eighteen Mile Creek Buffalo, WV

Goto Old Colony's website and wander around. They list homes for sale they offer as well as ones for sale by other brokers. Old Colony, REALTORS - Charleston West Virginia Real Estate - Real Estate Listings Search - Page 1

Know nothing about these people but may want to check out Untitled Document

Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 AM

180 posts, read 352,204 times
Junior Jack, Im not sure of the actual speed, but i can tell you its just as fast as cable. I live in a rural area in Poca,WV. I have a good signal with no problems.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:20 AM

2 posts, read 4,151 times
We're looking to relocate our family we would like a property listed under 90,000 within a 30 min drive of Charleston. Acerage is more important to us than the size of the home. Not asking much fixer upers are fine as long as they are in tolerable living condition. Because we are coming from out of state can any one help us locate a job. What kind of work might be availible? Do you have any online classifieds or could someone from the clay county area possibly send us a phone book we'll just start calling and asking if anyone is hiring. Does anyone have a room to rent if we can find work until we can secure an income down there to be approved for a loan? Thanks for your time and help.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:26 AM

https://www.workforcewv.org/JobSeeke...eekerHome2.asp
Charleston Newspaper - Gazette-Mail Jobs powered by Yahoo! HotJobs
The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports - News - Reports show Benjamin, Blankenship connections*

West Virginia homes for sale, Buy a home, Sell a home, Old Colony, Realtors, Selling homes, Buying homes (http://oldcolony.com/index.htm - broken link)
Charleston Newspaper - West Virginia - Gazette-Mail Homes - Homes for Sale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia