U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 02:30 AM

5 posts, read 12,274 times

Advertisements

hi everyone,
Selling my home .. I hope .. here near Wilmington, NC because at least four months are horrible .. heat and humidity .. plus racial hostility, mostly black on white. I'll be frank about it; prefer an overwhelmingly white area. Besides, my wife and I are older, on fixed income, usually less than 2k a month.. She must leave because of her heart condition. She will literally not survive another summer here. Have been to Fairmont. Liked it. Loved Grafton. Didn't get to see too much of Morgantown but remember the highway from there to Fairmont in a driving rain was kinda dicey But , may be looking for slightly less winter and lower humidity than that area. I would love a small town.. um say within a half hour of a big city with a good regional hospital. Someone on this forum mentioned that Charleston had an excellent heart center. I would even consider up to an hour drive (to the regional hospital) if it's worth it.
Worth it would be a place where my wife might improve, where I can fish in a clean, uncrowded stream or lake or ? from time to time. Where people are genuinely friendly. I don't care about rich or poor but I do care about crime, especially crimes against persons and especially gangs Grrrr!!!. But I understand there is crime all around us. I just don't want to be in a town that doesn't care. I would consider living somewhere near Charleston or Huntington or you tell me? I probably won't have much cash when I get there. A small house for 50k or less would be nice but not sure that exists outside of Charleston. Otherwise we will be looking for discounted senior housing.
We fit in and I am very active. Computers, teaching, private and corporate business background. Also had my own repair, handyman, thrift shop business at one time. So that's it. Some summer, some winter is ok but not too extreme for too long a period, nominal crime, an hour, preferably less to a good regional hospital ... and maybe a step or two back to the way it used to be. Not all the way back but just far enough.
jack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 05:16 AM

843 posts, read 1,741,117 times
I lived in Onslow County (Camp LeJeune) for 6 years and spent a lot of time down in Wilmington. When I left in '00, Wilmington was still a relatively small town. There was half a mall with a few stores, and that was about the extent of it (plus lots of small independent shops like you'd expect to find in a beach town). A couple weeks ago I was up at my buddy's in Charlotte and his neighbor, who grew up in Wilmington and still goes frequently to visit his mom, came to hang out with us all weekend. He tells me that I wouldn't recognize Wilmington at all now, compared to how it was just 8 short years ago. 8-lane highway going in and out of town... Retail/commercial boom... Mass population influx, with traffic congestion tied in... etc.

That's a shame, because Wilmington was a cool town - one I always said I wouldn't mind returning to (as much as I miss the Mid-Ohio Valley, coastal NC has it's own charm).

I was able to talk one of my old Corps buddies, who is disabled and struggling in Detroit, into moving to WV. I helped research some areas for him and he decided on Huntington for their VA hospital. His disability income is, I think, just over $1k/mo so you should be well-off on $2k/mo (that would be equal to around a $35k salary).

Wanting to stay within an hour of Charleston should open a lot of doors, since it's centrally located. I grew up around Parkersburg and loved it, but that puts you around 90 minutes away. Hmmm... I wish Mapquest had an option to highlight a radius. Too bad Elkins is out of your range, I like it over there. Lots of native and stocked streams/rivers in that area (Huttonsville, Greenbriar River, Cranberry Glades, Tygart River, Bergu, etc) and a decent lake (Spruce Knob).

Hurricane is a pretty small town and mid-way between Charleston & Huntington, so you'd only be 25 miles from either. That might be an option to look into. And it's right on I64 so you'd have easy travel options.

Gotta go for now, will look into other options later if I get a chance.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:32 AM

843 posts, read 1,741,117 times
And I just popped a quick search and found 66 single-family homes in the Pburg area for under $55k. Here's a couple for example: A larger one in town, and a smaller one on an acre.

Single Family Home - 1216 22ND ST, PARKERSBURG, WV, 26101 - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=2761&mxp=12&typ=3&sid=b219 414a5a984cfeb5daee7123547f3e&pg=3&lid=1096629967&l sn=23&srcnt=53#Detail - broken link)

Single Family Home - 2200 NASH, PARKERSBURG, WV, 26101 - Realtor.com (http://www.realtor.com/search/listingdetail.aspx?ctid=2761&mxp=12&typ=3&sid=b219 414a5a984cfeb5daee7123547f3e&pg=4&lid=1103758883&l sn=31&srcnt=53#Detail - broken link)

Old 10-10-2008, 05:58 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,739,059 times
Do not forget that an incredible VA Medical Center is located on the outskirts of Clarksburg...Louis A Johnson Center...

Old 10-10-2008, 06:58 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,472,801 times
And Grafton, Buckhannon, Weston (to name just a few of the smaller towns) are all within an hour or less of Clarksburg.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:38 AM

3,031 posts, read 3,672,121 times
Definately consider the Huntington area. Huntington has 2 excellent hospitals (Cabell Huntington and St. Mary's) with St. Mary's being very specialized in heart care. Huntington will also provide you with probably the most mild winters in WV and has four distinct, nice seasons. There are lots of small towns in the surrounding areas that may fit what you are looking for. Barboursville is a nice small town but it is loaded with convenience. Living in Barboursville, you would be right next to Huntington and just about everything that you need would be 15 minutes away or less. Ceredo and Kenova are on the other side of Huntington and also provide quick access to the convenience of Huntington. Kenova also has the neatest drug store. It's like the one out of It's a Wonderful Life. Built in the late 1800s, it is a drug store and soda fountain with a great atmosphere. Huntington itself also has a lot of neat things like that such as an old hardware store that's been in business since the early 1900s, a peanut shoppe that has been open since the 1920s and several hot dog stands that have gone away in other cities. Here are some links that you may find useful as you make your decision. Hope this helps and let me know if you'd like any other info.
Tim

St. Mary's Medical Center - Home
Cabell Huntington Hospital - Home page - Huntington, WV
City of Huntington, West Virginia
Village of Barboursville > Home
Kenova, West Virginia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Griffith & Feil Drug Store
C.M. Love Hardware
The Peanut Shoppe
Roadside Peek : Huntington WV Hot Dogs

Old 10-10-2008, 08:13 AM

3,105 posts, read 4,762,818 times
The humidity in Charleston/Huntington area is pretty rough in the summer.

I'd highly recommend you take a visit to Buckhannon in Upshur County. It is a pretty little town with low crime (I know people who don't lock their doors when away). Buckhannon is the county seat (ie largest town in Upshur County with a pop of about 5,000 in town).
Low humidity. We didn't have air conditioning when we lived there - had a whole house fan which we used to move the air on hot days.
Not less winter than Fairmont. Have to head to Charleston/Huntington for less winters but then you have higher humidity.
Buckhannon is 10 miles from I-79. It's 30 miles to Clarksburg (mall, etc.); 1 hour to Morgantown; 1 hour to Canaan Valley (skiing, hiking, sightseeing); 1/2 hour to Elkins (sightseeing, some shopping); 2 hours to Charleston (capitol of WV).
Excellent hospitals in Morgantown - an hour away. Good hospital in Clarksburg - half hour away.
Many retired folks.
Friendly folk.
Fishing - good fishing in the area and within a half-hour to hour drive.
West Virginia Wesleyan College is in Buckhannon - it's a small college.
A step back - as you say - but not too far back. I think the college is one thing that has really helped Buckhannon to keep moving in the right direction instead of drying up as so many old small towns have done. No need to worry though, it's not anywhere like a college town like MoTown.
They have a Wal-Mart, Lowe's, and some other stores but for "bigger" shopping, head to Clarksburg or Morgantown.

Check out what city-data has to say about Bkn at http://www.city-data.com/county/Upshur_County-WV.html and http://www.city-data.com/city/Buckha...-Virginia.html Since Bkn is most of Upshur Co you can go with the figures for the entire county - not like Kanawha County where conditions can change just around a corner.

Buckhannon Upshur Chamber of Commerce - Visitor Menu
Buckhannon Upshur Chamber of Commerce - Lifestyle

For some housing listings in Buckhannon, goto oldcolony.com and do a search of North Central WV, zip code 26201. Also see List C or Century 21 Country Roads Realty - Home Century 21 Country Roads Realty or one of the other broker sites.

If you opt for milder winters but higher humidity, you may take a look at Eleanor WV. But I wouldn't eat any fish I caught in the Kanawha/Putnam area.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 PM

Default Ceezer .. thanks

Ceezer,
Thanks for your response. I have only lived in Wilmington, NC for nearly four years so I don't really know what it was like eight years ago. The way someone explained it to me is that Wilmington is the last stop for Interstate 40 and when it was completed a lot of people, some of them the 'dregs' of the earth, just kept driving until the end and just settled in. That, plus the fact that it had a bad rep going way back, especially after WWII. It was very busy during the war and then suddenly nothing. A lot of people hung around but the jobs didn't. Yup, marines still enjoy the place, party, beach etc. Not trying to paint it all bad. I've seen a lot worse. I live about 30 miles inland and the heat/humidity for 4 months is more than I want to live with. Thanks for the tip on Parkersburg. Need to look more closely at it. From what I can tell Elkins is too cold and probably too much snow. Hurricane is a possibility but looks a bit expensive. From what I can tell from the replies to my post and my research the Charleston/Huntington summer is 2 or 3?? months long and is kinda hot and kinda humid .... but not relentlessly hot and humid straight through, That's the killer here. Sometimes, 4 or more months straight through, over 85 or near ninety with high humidity. I mean straightline 90 with h for 4, 5. 6 weeks, a few days relief and then back at it.. I'm actually pretty tough, even at 70 y/o and I love the outdoors but gets to the point I don't go out unless it's chores. Definitely looking at the I 64 corridor. Haven't sold my home yet but will be traveling to WV before winter sets in. Thanks again

Old 10-13-2008, 11:28 PM

Default Tim .. tbailey1138

Tim,

Great insights .. made me feel like just pickin up and moving right now.. but gotten responsible in my old age. Hate to keep harping on the weather. You mentioned 4 nice seasons. The only season that concerns me around Charleston/Huntington is the summer. Can you elaborate on that? Here's the deal. When the heat really hits my wife health starts to head south (no pun).. Probably, if it's just a few days or even a week and then some relief, she can handle that.. Is that what it is or what..? I'm starting too think that she may have an easier time with a little too much cold than too much heat.. In which case, I'll be taking a harder look at Buckhannon, Clarksburg, maybe even Grafton. And I guess if I'm willing to go that far north I might as well consider Morgantown. But Elkins just seems too far away from a regional hospital. Seems to be coming down to weather as as the primary criteria.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:09 AM

Default vec101 moving to WV ???

Thanks for all the good info especially on the more northern I 79 corridor from Weston to Morgantown. I'm researching the intensity and duration of the winters up there. I get the impression it's a serious winter but not an 'up north' winter. After I get past the weather and regional hospital criteria I will need to look at housing. I would love to get a very small house, under 1000 sq ft, even 800, but I need to keep it around 55k or lower. In town ok but not totally distressed or crime ridden. I know that usually comes with a low price but in that case I'll just opt for senior housing. Out of town home would be ok, also.. Have any ideas? But Buckhannon, Clarksburg , Grafton definitely on my itinerary nexy month. Probably be asking about a nice but not too pricey place to stay .. before I leave .. Must have continental breakfast.. Thanks again..
Jack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia