Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2007, 06:46 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times

Advertisements

Citybilly the drugs are here for the buyers...the crime is here to satisfy the addiction.

Charleston is perfect for the drug runners from Kentucky. Ohio and the Carolina's to exhange goods. Look at the Interstate Highways passing through...they will tell you the story.
Our area up here is almost a police state...beause it is high security...I resent that, but we have 2 judges here who take the crime seriously and keep things pretty clean.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:33 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,530 times
David Kennedy: when you say "our area up here" what do you mean? Faimont, Morgantown, area?

Old 10-26-2007, 02:07 AM

Upstate= north of Flatwoods ie: Fairmont/Morgantown....yes

Not to diminish in any way the southern part of West Virginia...When you move, your going to see a lot of cops.
Part of this High Tech government work has brought an increase in police presence....and they are no-nonsense.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:42 AM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
When I lived up there a few years ago I noticed hardly any police presence. On our frequent trips back to Morgantown to visit my wife's family, I've seen a Morgantown Police car on the road once over the last couple of years (right beside where the police station is) and couldn't even begin to tell you what a Mon County Police car looks like. Maybe your "police state" is limited to Marion County.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:33 PM

That is possible...I travel a lot between Morgantown and Clarksburg. Marion County only has a working force of 13 officers...I see them everyday on patrol. The Fairmont, Shinnston, Clarksburg police officers seem to be everywhere as do the State Police.
added to that are the FBI and Airport security firms and other private firms who patrol the high tech parks. Much of the area is camera surveilanced...if a person stops between the FBI and the Benedum Airport on Jerry Dove Drive...an unmarked patrol will be there to assist him within minutes.
Because of this, I always have my seatbelt fastened and all paperwork current in all of our vehicles. In the old days I didn't worry about this so much because I knew someone in the department and could talk my way out of an issue if anything happened. Now, everyone is treated like a prospective terrorist or ex-convict...this is MY home...I'm being made to feel like an intruder with this increase of security...all happening after 9/11
When 9/11 happened, by the way...the police guarded the power plant at Lumberport...I thought we had missles there ready to launch...the security was so tight...I'm sure they would have shot to kill if anything suspicious happened.

Best place to live in West Virginia....Mobely....hands down...a no-brainer. (pronounced: MOB-LEE)

Old 10-26-2007, 01:14 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,990,155 times
You have our fearless brainless leader G DUB to thank for that. I must say my fav. is the patriot act! It makes me feel all warm and tingly inside

Old 10-26-2007, 01:28 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
DK,

Do you mean Mobley, up the North Fork of Fishing Creek?

That's my old neighborhood!

Snorpus

Old 10-26-2007, 04:03 PM

I've have a dear friend from Mobley...one of the Morris's...for nigh on to 55 years this Fall....we's been as close as flea's on a dog's hind leg, mind you...
She works at Duke University..in Administration.
We talk about Mobely often...It took a lot of thinkin' and ponderin' afore I decided to select Mobely as my favorite West Virginia city...I'm a'wantin' to tell ye why:

1. Mobley dosen't have a lot of traffic lights.
2. It's high-rise buildings do not obstruct the view.
3. Virtually, no crime.
4. Schools are very good.
5. The sub-divisions are really spread out and you don't feel cloistered.
6. Recreation is exceptional.
7. People there really mind their own business.
8. The Mailman knows your name and will deliver some eggs onto the widow Jackson.
9. It's hard to find...you almost have to know where it is...guaranteeing a persons
privacy and relaxation.
10. Cell phones don't work in Mobley.

Those were 10 important reasons to give Mobley as my choice...
If you are from Mobley, then good for you...you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:45 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
I gotta be honest... I didn't grow up within the corporate limits of Mobley, I lived down river, where the confluence of the North and South Forks creates Fishing Creek.

Used to head up that way any time we drove to Morgantown or Pittsburgh, then turned and went over Barker Hill to Rte 7 and Hundred. I bet even one of them Tom-Tom gadgets couldn't find Mobley.

Another point for your list... I can't recall ever hearing any complaints about the local government.

Snorpus

Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 PM

14 posts, read 51,580 times
Come to Martinsburg we are the fastest growing place in WV. Over 94,000 residents now reside in Berkeley County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia