Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM

6,347 posts, read 9,875,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Yeah, 82 more crimes per 100,000 people is so significant. It works out to be a whole 0.00082 more crimes per person. Also factor in that Huntington is the main city of a Metropolitan Statistical Area that has more than 2x the population of the one up there and we are the main city for the areas in the surrounding states as well. You keep trying though.

And Huntington is shrinking so fast, we've actually gained people the last 2 years. You keep trying that angle too though.

And I wouldn't say the economy there is pre-recession levels just yet. Predicted to be the 8th Worst Real Estate Market over the next 5 years and dropped 13 places in Forbes Best Places for Business (Small Metros). 2011 was the first time in 5 years it hasn't been in the top 10, dropping to #23.

FACTS > Baseless OPINIONS
Im glad for the past 2 years the trend has reversed. Probably due to the great recession not allowing people to escape that place. Im sure when things pick up so will the flight from Huntington.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:26 PM

19 posts, read 30,326 times
Quote:
Everything that you listed there happens in Morgantown too. I went to WVU and had a murder happen in the apartment complex I lived in and there were downtown shootings, stabbings, drug busts, etc there as well. The key factor is that none of those things happens with much frequency in either place. The only difference would be replace Detroit with Baltimore.

And since you never walked around at night in Huntington, I doubt you could accurately judge how safe it is. I live here and walk just about everywhere, even at night. According to your thinking though, I guess I shouldn't be here to post right now.

They key thing is that Huntington's violent crime has decreased 21% over the last three years. What's Morgantown's done in the same period?
Oh I definitely walked around Huntington at night, all the time, just never ALONE. I could stumble home at 3am by myself in Morgantown and the worst that would happen would be some idiot yelling something out of his car. Never in a million years in Huntington. Even walking with a very large man was rather frequently terrifying and a few times nearly disastrous. My boyfriend and I got beat up in the middle of Third Ave while a crowd of people watched. Aside from the above incident, everyone I knew had their cars broken into at least once. Classmates were mugged, there was a fairly well publicised murder of a college girl, shootings in the bar next to the one we were in. Some guy burned down the house across the street from me because his ex lived in one of the apartments; too bad he killed the other lady instead. I was accosted every night leaving the hospital by crackwhores are 14 year old prostitutes. Ask any surgeon who works at Cabell how many are selling on his average night leaving the parking lot. And that's not to mention the group of men who will harrass you every time you get stopped at that light in front of the projects. Oh, and a magistrate candidate being arrested for crack...

There's a million other things here that I could mention but what's the point? You're clearly not concerned with reality, and instead would rather post statistics (which anyone who has ever had a sociological research class knows are BS) so I won't waste my time. Maybe for old people who are concerned with small time stuff and never go out, they might be comparable, but if you do anything outside your house at all it is quite clear.

I never met a single person from Baltimore in Morgantown, nor did I see a continuous run of Baltimore arrests on the nightly news. I never came across a single meth lab or crackhouse there either, though there were several in my neighborhood in Huntington. I never heard of anyone stripping down whatever they could for scrap metal that they could sell for meth money. We had people trolling our alley CONSTANTLY, and they'd come in your yard and steal whatever wasn't bolted down. A neighbor down the street saved his kid's bike by threatening a guy with a shotgun. Nice town, huh?

Believe me, after living in small town WV, then Morgantown, then Huntington, they aren't even in the same UNIVERSE. Whenever people now ask me where I went to school I say WVU for undergrad, Marshall for med school, and someone always brings up the We Are Marshall movie, asks if Huntington is the pristine little town depicted. I universally, without hesitation or remorse, give them a very lightned, cleaned up assessment: Huntington is a crack-hole (by far my most common used descriptor); it is full of meth labs, crack houses and thugs from detroit. Never go there if you can avoid it.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM

415 posts, read 802,238 times
I walk from my apartment near Ritter Park to downtown and back fairly often. Sometimes it's in the middle of the night. I also know several other people (including females) who do the same. I've never had any problems.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:19 PM

4,954 posts, read 8,950,320 times
I've never had any such problems either rawrock. Funny thing is, I work at Cabell and have never had to deal with any such problems listed above. Nor have any of my co-workers mentioned such problems. Funny, especially when you consider that I've worked there several years.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PathResMD View Post
Oh I definitely walked around Huntington at night, all the time, just never ALONE. I could stumble home at 3am by myself in Morgantown and the worst that would happen would be some idiot yelling something out of his car. Never in a million years in Huntington. Even walking with a very large man was rather frequently terrifying and a few times nearly disastrous. My boyfriend and I got beat up in the middle of Third Ave while a crowd of people watched. Aside from the above incident, everyone I knew had their cars broken into at least once. Classmates were mugged, there was a fairly well publicised murder of a college girl, shootings in the bar next to the one we were in. Some guy burned down the house across the street from me because his ex lived in one of the apartments; too bad he killed the other lady instead. I was accosted every night leaving the hospital by crackwhores are 14 year old prostitutes. Ask any surgeon who works at Cabell how many are selling on his average night leaving the parking lot. And that's not to mention the group of men who will harrass you every time you get stopped at that light in front of the projects. Oh, and a magistrate candidate being arrested for crack...

There's a million other things here that I could mention but what's the point? You're clearly not concerned with reality, and instead would rather post statistics (which anyone who has ever had a sociological research class knows are BS) so I won't waste my time. Maybe for old people who are concerned with small time stuff and never go out, they might be comparable, but if you do anything outside your house at all it is quite clear.

I never met a single person from Baltimore in Morgantown, nor did I see a continuous run of Baltimore arrests on the nightly news. I never came across a single meth lab or crackhouse there either, though there were several in my neighborhood in Huntington. I never heard of anyone stripping down whatever they could for scrap metal that they could sell for meth money. We had people trolling our alley CONSTANTLY, and they'd come in your yard and steal whatever wasn't bolted down. A neighbor down the street saved his kid's bike by threatening a guy with a shotgun. Nice town, huh?

Believe me, after living in small town WV, then Morgantown, then Huntington, they aren't even in the same UNIVERSE. Whenever people now ask me where I went to school I say WVU for undergrad, Marshall for med school, and someone always brings up the We Are Marshall movie, asks if Huntington is the pristine little town depicted. I universally, without hesitation or remorse, give them a very lightned, cleaned up assessment: Huntington is a crack-hole (by far my most common used descriptor); it is full of meth labs, crack houses and thugs from detroit. Never go there if you can avoid it.
WOW

Im glad I live in Morgantown. THe most dangerous thing we have here is drunk people needing directions.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
WOW

Im glad I live in Morgantown. THe most dangerous thing we have here is drunk people needing directions.
The three people who got shot in Sunnyside over the last year and the poor kid who was beaten into a coma would likely beg to differ but I guess they don't count, huh. You keep on exaggerating though.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
The three people who got shot in Sunnyside over the last year and the poor kid who was beaten into a coma would likely beg to differ but I guess they don't count, huh. You keep on exaggerating though.
Freak occurrences. At least we dont have meth heads prowling yards for things to steal. I am glad that we finally get an unbiased truthful view of Huntington. Thank youPathResMD. Everyone else is not objective and a Huntington cheerleader. Now you see how the average person views your city.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:03 PM

Yeah, I'm sure it's a completely unbiased view. That poster went to WVU first huh? That view is probably about as unbiased as yours.

I've lived in the Huntington area nearly my entire life, have lived in Huntington the last few years and work at the place she referenced and I've never had ANY of the problems mentioned. That doesn't count to you though because it doesn't support your "unbiased" view.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure it's a completely unbiased view. That poster went to WVU first huh? That view is probably about as unbiased as yours.

I've lived in the Huntington area nearly my entire life, have lived in Huntington the last few years and work at the place she referenced and I've never had ANY of the problems mentioned. That doesn't count to you though because it doesn't support your "unbiased" view.
Oh so if you went to WVU you are biased?

I guess you are right. They are biased. They lived in an awesome place and downgraded to a much worse place. It is like living in a rich part of the USA and then going to a war/famine torn African country. It is just going to look bad.

So yes they are biased naturally.

It is much better to move from Huntington to Morgantown so you can enjoy the improvement. In reverse it is a downgrade.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Oh so if you went to WVU you are biased?
Nope, just more proned to be. I went to WVU and lived there 6 years. Glad to be in Huntington now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia