Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2008, 02:11 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
And... that's why west of the mountains is much less likely to have drought conditions than, say, the Eastern Panhandle.
Exactly, we (Elkins, Randolph County) very rarely have drought like conditions

Old 11-04-2008, 04:24 AM

24 posts, read 132,597 times
The best city in West Virginia, eh?

That's an easy and tough question all at the same time.

The best town is the one that you feel at home in. If you like backwoods rural, or fast paced hustle and bustle, the only one it matters to, is you.

We can give you pointers, we can give our opinions, but when it comes down to it, you have to make the decision yourself, and I highly recommend you give each option a trial run. (Get a room for the weekend, travel all around the area, etc.)

I have lived in and been to several cities in West Virginia, and I'll give my opinion on each one.

Clarksburg/Bridgeport/Anmoore: Love it. Lived there in 2004 and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm so terribly sorry we ever had to leave. (we were mislead about the Medicare Premiums and how the state handles them.) It's dirty in spots, sure. But it's full of character, it has beautiful hills all around, and plenty of kind folks who will smile and hold the door for you, just because. Oh and I can't remember if it was this thread or another, but someone had mentioned that Bridgeport was full of snobs. That might be your experience, but it certainly wasn't mine. Some very kind folks there as well.

Salem: Backwater, slow, last bastion of hope for civilization before you get into the deep woods and rural country. (Literally, not more than a thousand feet beyond the entry road for Salem, it stops being Harrison County and becomes Doddridge County. The difference IS like night and day. People not as warm or welcoming, but they weren't rude either. So, no complaints.

Centerpoint: (Dead center in the middle of nowhere. No, really, I mean it. The gas station, post office, library, and restaurant are so out of place in this...village.) The people keep to themselves, very quiet folks, a lot of wildlife just walking through the yards. (Looking out and seeing Deer is commonplace, and it would seem odd if you didn't.)

Fairmont: Beautiful, busy, and expensive. A really nice town (though I consider it a city, compared to the size of where I'm located now.) can't comment on the people though. But yes, a really nice looking place. Just not affordable for most.

Morgantown: Hectic, confining, and difficult to navigate. I've been lost before, but this place gave a whole new meaning to the term. (once I did get out and I realized the size of the city wasn't even close to what I'd imagined...I was rightfully embarrassed.) Too much rat race, too much traffic. Plus you throw in the University and all of the students...heh. No thanks. Okay place to visit, wouldn't live there.

Charleston: Ai, yi, yi. The size, the traffic, the pace, the industrial look....all were a major turn off to me. I just couldn't get into it. I like big cities, I do (Cleveland OH and Pittsburgh PA to name a few) but I just couldn't give this one a spot in my book.

Corridor G: (technically Charleston where I went shopping and to see movies) Expensive, hectic, people were un-intentionally rude. (The price, the pace, the class demanded it. For what they've known, it was normal to be cold and indifferent.)

Scott Depot/Hurricane/Nitro/Buffalo/St. Albans (I clumped them together because they all just run right into one another, and they're all about the same level for me.) BEAUTIFUL. Just the right amount of city and country. The people were kind, the cost of living wasn't terrible, and the feel there was just one of pure contentment. Absolutely one of my favorite places to be, period.

Huntington: Hectic, fast paced, a tad expensive, but really nice folks and the look (now I'm basing this on 2001, so a lot could've changed in seven, almost eight now, years.) I couldn't afford it, but I'd have loved to. A really great place. All the amenities of Charleston, without all of the rat race.

Beckley: Boring. Big and boring. I should've maybe given it more of a chance, but...boring.

Summersville (I think that's what it's called) nice, not too big or small, people friendly, right on one of the main travel veins of the state.

Oak Hill: Basically a town in the side of a hill. Nice looking though.

For me, Clarksburg. I feel as though I could call it home. It has all of the gimmicky stuff (Wal-Mart, Target, Circuit City, Fast food, etc) to keep me content, plus enough of a community (big community...) feel to give me the balance I was looking for.

BTW...anyone from Clarksburg on here now? If you could, I'd appreciate it if you could point out the safe and dangerous sections of town? My parents and I are looking at places down there and since both of my parents are handicapped, we want something safe. (And please, no comments about "Why the hell would you come here" or things of that nature. If you don't like it, fine. But that's not what I'm asking for.)

Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 AM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot032 View Post
Huntington: Hectic, fast paced, a tad expensive, but really nice folks and the look (now I'm basing this on 2001, so a lot could've changed in seven, almost eight now, years.) I couldn't afford it, but I'd have loved to. A really great place. All the amenities of Charleston, without all of the rat race.
If you haven't been here in 7 years, you need to come back this spring. There has been alot of new development downtown with the addition of Pullman Square, many new businesses and the renovation of many downtown buildings and streets. Definately try to make a return trip!
Tim

Old 11-04-2008, 12:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,777,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot032 View Post

Charleston: Ai, yi, yi. The size, the traffic, the pace, the industrial look....all were a major turn off to me. I just couldn't get into it. I like big cities, I do (Cleveland OH and Pittsburgh PA to name a few) but I just couldn't give this one a spot in my book.

Corridor G: (technically Charleston where I went shopping and to see movies) Expensive, hectic, people were un-intentionally rude. (The price, the pace, the class demanded it. For what they've known, it was normal to be cold and indifferent.)
I live in Charleston and haven't been in a traffic jam yet. The one time I was (prior to being resident)- february when it had snowed 6" during evening commute. Whole band of traffic was behind snow plows three abreast setting the pace while clearing the interstate. I've regularly had a harder time with traffic on a state route in cross lanes than anywhere in charleston. Too many side roads cutting in with turns from smaller strip malls lining the road. Ickiest traffic pattern in charleston is near the patrick street bridge where too many roads converge into a dangerous situation. Some approaches I won't even bother driving- park across the street and walk.

To be fair my experience with actual traffic jams is based on NYC, Jersey, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, and LA. 30 min drive converted to 1.5 hrs, 30mph stop and go rubbernecking. No such animal here. Barring some catastrophe 5 minute delays at worst.

Industrial zones are nearby the interstate which IMO is pretty logical, but I can see where people driving through would be left with impressions. Drive down Kanawha Blvd it's a much different picture. Downtown charleston is organized nicely to minimize traffic.

I know what you mean about corridor G (south charleston), which has much heavier traffic than charleston for similar reasons as cross lanes. That was a turn off for me and a profound departure from the overall friendliness and personality of the rest of the state. I'll guess this comes along with a faster pace of economy, and something I deliberately moved away from myself. My choice to avoid it is about me.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
All you have to do is follow the trends. The best city will be the one where everyone wants to be. It will be growing because people want to be there, and because it has the most to offer.

While most cities in the state unfortunately find themselves in decline or at best static, Morgantown and Martinsburg are thriving and growing. There are logical reasons for that fact... it didn't just happen as a matter of chance. Both cities are near medium to large metropolitan areas and that proximity offers the benefits associated with being near significant economic and cultural opportunities. They are also both close to incredibly beautiful and diverse outdoor areas, so recreational opportunities abound.

While both Morgantown and Martinsburg are very desirable areas as the demand clearly demonstrates, Morgantown is the better of the two. The major reason, as is evidenced by the phenominal growth taking place there, is that it is the location of the State's flagship, Land Grant, national research intensive University. The benefits of being in the proximity of such an institution are too many to count.

All the towns in West Virginia are nice for different reasons, and all have wonderful people living in them. But only one city offers top flight, nationally ranked college athletic programs. While other cities will rightly point to their nice parks and shopping malls, in Morgantown they are just a little newer, a little nicer than anywhere else. And while other cities have nice orchestras and other cultural events, nowhere are they as numerous or of the quality that they are in The University City. The sheer size and scope, as well as the residential nature of WVU virtually guarantees that.

Another reason Morgantown is so desirable is the location of one of the only truly growing industries in the State. While the whole State is benefiting from increased demand for coal, Mylan Pharmaceuticals is located in Morgantown. That company is in growth mode and in the process of doubling its size. In addition, major expenditures are taking place in the areas of utilities and Federal facilities that greatly add to employment opportunities in the North Central West Virginia area. It is the only area within the State where development and opportunity are taking place at any where near that rate.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:24 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I live in Charleston and haven't been in a traffic jam yet. The one time I was (prior to being resident)- february when it had snowed 6" during evening commute. Whole band of traffic was behind snow plows three abreast setting the pace while clearing the interstate. I've regularly had a harder time with traffic on a state route in cross lanes than anywhere in charleston. Too many side roads cutting in with turns from smaller strip malls lining the road. Ickiest traffic pattern in charleston is near the patrick street bridge where too many roads converge into a dangerous situation. Some approaches I won't even bother driving- park across the street and walk.

To be fair my experience with actual traffic jams is based on NYC, Jersey, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, and LA. 30 min drive converted to 1.5 hrs, 30mph stop and go rubbernecking. No such animal here. Barring some catastrophe 5 minute delays at worst.

Industrial zones are nearby the interstate which IMO is pretty logical, but I can see where people driving through would be left with impressions. Drive down Kanawha Blvd it's a much different picture. Downtown charleston is organized nicely to minimize traffic.

I know what you mean about corridor G (south charleston), which has much heavier traffic than charleston for similar reasons as cross lanes. That was a turn off for me and a profound departure from the overall friendliness and personality of the rest of the state. I'll guess this comes along with a faster pace of economy, and something I deliberately moved away from myself. My choice to avoid it is about me.
I live in the NYC area. They don't know what traffic is in Charleston, I think you know that. There is minor congestion when the State Offices get off work. It is more hectic and congested in Morgantown because the State has not met its responsibilities in terms of keeping the infrastructure up with the demand, but that will change in time because the increased population will eventually be able to bring greater political pressures on the bozos who run State Government to bring them in line with reality.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:39 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,947,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
And while other cities have nice orchestras and other cultural events, nowhere are they as numerous or of the quality that they are in The University City.
We've been through this before and it's been proven to not be true. Morgantown offers a lot but not to the level of what Huntington and Charleston offer. And although Mylan still has facilities in Morgantown, they moved their headquarters and main operations to PA. That's where most of the growth for that company is now.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I live in the NYC area. They don't know what traffic is in Charleston, I think you know that. There is minor congestion when the State Offices get off work. It is more hectic and congested in Morgantown because the State has not met its responsibilities in terms of keeping the infrastructure up with the demand, but that will change in time because the increased population will eventually be able to bring greater political pressures on the bozos who run State Government to bring them in line with reality.
Know what? I think a secondary benefit of having all of downtown park in parking garages... they all have to stop momentarily to punch a ticket out, in effect an unofficial traffic light gradually merging traffic instead of emptying the herd onto a road all at once. It's pretty smooth, really.
Morgantown unfortunately will have growth uncontrolled to justify after the fact why they need infrastructure. That happens in NY even more because individual counties and municipal taxes fund all of it (explaining why property taxes are 7k+). Morgantown needs more roads? I'd vote for it even in charleston. What's good for morgantown is good for WV's overall economy.

Whatever complaints anyone has of WV gov't, or even WV itself-- I judge based on how far they've come + where they mean to be and not by how far they have to go. Progress being steady is more important than rushing headlong into outrageous fortune that tends to be destructive. I'd hate to see WV lose it's flavor and roots in deference to artificial wealth the way other economies have been lured.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
I can't speak for all cities in WV. I prefer small towns that offer next to nothing for a gourmet cook or antique collector, a place that is not well represented by any major newspaper but has a fairly well kept state route that will take me to a metropolis in the event I ever feel the urge... I like the closeness of a little town where it is almost impossible to not get to know your neighbors because they all welcome you into the area, eager to befriend you and pet your dog.

While deer walk across your yard each evening, you know that you will never have to worry about the well going dry because you are on city water.

I'm not quite foolish enough to broadcast this gem on an open, internet forum, but think along the lines of Welch in the very deep south of the state and you'll be getting warmer.

Last edited by AliceT; 11-04-2008 at 06:27 PM..

Old 11-04-2008, 06:00 PM

AliceT Sounds like my kind of town, but I found a pocket like it in charleston proper. Close enough yet far away enough. Like goldie locks porridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia