Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 AM

4,937 posts, read 8,893,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABCDom View Post
Where are these people coming from: eastern Kentucky, south and east of Charleston?
You would be correct. I have family in eastern KY and Southern WV and they are about 2 1/2 hours aways. They talk about how a lot of their friends come to Huntington for shopping, concerts, etc. Also, especially around the holidays, I have talked with people from these areas when they are there doing their shopping out at the mall and also talk to them at my work. Now it's not 2 1/2 hours in all directions, but people do drive quite a ways to get here for various reasons. There's not much in Eastern KY and Southern WV in terms of shopping, dining, entertainment, etc. and Huntington fills that gap. I also know people who drive about an hour and a half to come here for work. A lot more people are coming here for elective medical procedures because of the increasing number of procedures offered in Huntington as well. Also, thanks for the kind words. I like to try to put references with any facts that I give so people can see that I didn't just make it up. I know it helps me to see where things come from. It gives a statement more credibility in my eyes. I often enjoy your posts as well and if you need any insight on the area or have a question where you might find something, let me know and I'll do my best to help you.
Tim

Old 11-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Let's assume you are right, and Forbes only considered statistical data. Looking at what they consider to be important, it sounds pretty reasonable to me. Crimes, housing, ratings of colleges, etc. would be a good measure anywhere. In fact, for Morgantown to be so highly ranked when those factors were considered is a tribute to how desirable the city is as a place to live. But, the biggest tribute of all is the growth rate. Huntington doesn't really have a growth rate, so it's difficult to measure the two together. I suppose we could consider Morgantown's growth rate verses Huntington's loss rate?
So you think that an areas growth is only measured in population loss and gain then huh? Well, let's look at this stat from another city you seem to love so dearly, Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has lost 23,345 people or 6.2% of thier population since 2000. That's almost the ENTIRE population of Morgantown. Does this mean Morgantown is better than Pittsburgh since Morgantown is growing and Pittsburgh is losing people? No it doesn't and I think you'd agree with that. Also look at the trends. Morgantown's population gains have slowed drastically in the last few years because, as others have pointed out, they are reaching a maximum capacity. Huntington's population loss has been slowing and will, statistically soon see a reversal of this and see some growth and we've got plenty of room for it. Huntington has also never encouraged MU students to register as Huntington residents like Morgantown has done with WVU students. This is about to change in the next census. Huntington is also getting outside help to make sure that all residents are counted so don't be surprised to see some actual growth in Huntington when data from the next census (not estimates) is released.

Quote:
You say the two are in different categories? Maybe. But the point is Huntington is not highly rated in any category. The fact that some other areas are declining at a more rapid rate than Huntington is beside the point. I have a hunch that after the next census they will be in the same category, and that the census following Huntington will remain in the lower category while Morgantown moves to the higher one. It's all conjecture at this point, but the trends certainly indicate that will be the case.
No maybe to it, the two are in different categories. And Huntington doesn't rank highly in any categories? Did you even look at the link? Huntington was rated as #1/200 for cost of living, 35/200 for income growth and 38/200 for the cost of doing business. And this was being compared to the largest areas in the nation. And your hunch, as you pointed out, is just conjecture that is merely based on your biased opinion rather than the trends. I've also already shown you what the trends indicated and it's not what you typed above.

Quote:
I'm not sure how you feel you know why people are moving to Morgantown. Do you even know the people who have moved there besides me? People are moving there for lots of reasons. The reasons vary from person to person. WVU is a major reason. Job opportunities are more reasons. Low crime rate is another reason. Great business climate yet another. Being around a very high concentration of highly educated people still another. If Huntington were so great they would be rated highly in those areas too... they are not. Maybe they will be someday, who knows? They currently are not rated highly. If they were, people would be flocking to move there instead of leaving. I don't know what your major was in college, but I suspect you know that supply and demand are the major indicators of what is hot, and what is not. Morgantown is in demand. Huntington is not in demand. End of story.
I didn't say I knew why people were moving to Morgantown. If you'll re-read my post, I said it was because, AS YOU POINTED OUT, the growth of WVU. So I was only using your own words. Disagreeing with yourself now? Your more argumentative than I thought. And I find it quite funny how at first you visited Morgantown often, then you had a home there and now you are claiming you've moved there. Let me ask you this, where is your drivers licence from, where are your cars registered and where would the government come looking for you if they had to? Based on other posts that you've made, that would be CT. Or are you contradicting yourself on that as well?

And Huntington is highly rated in many of the areas you listed. The unemployment rate here is 3.5 % or just .7% above that in Morgantown. The job growth here was 2.7% with future job growth predicted to be over 26%. Not too shabby from all accounts. And you act like people aren't moving to Huntington, but they are. I've talked to people in the last 2 weeks who just moved from South Dakota, Lousiville, KY, Jacksonville, FL and a few others. And you know what, they all LOVE Huntington. But according to you, that's impossible. And this may be the end of the story for you, but it's no where near over. Things change every year, but with all of the things going on here and the way that the housing market hasn't slowed here like it has in other places. Things are looking great for Huntington. You may not agree but guess what, you don't live here (or even in the state) so it doesn't matter or even affect you. Let's let others who read this decide what they are looking for because that's what this site is really all about is to showcase what the state has. This is why I've backed up my argument by showing what Huntington has rather than trying to tear down Morgantown because believe me, I could. It's just sad that you couldn't do the same. Let's just agree to disagree on this subject. I'm not trying to convince you to move to Huntington, I'm just refuting some of the info you're giving out that's based on your opinion but you're presenting as fact. You keep on loving Morgantown, I'll keep on loving Huntington and we can just stop all of the arguing.
Tim

Old 11-07-2008, 04:20 PM

8 posts, read 28,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobot032 View Post
The best city in West Virginia, eh?

That's an easy and tough question all at the same time.

The best town is the one that you feel at home in. If you like backwoods rural, or fast paced hustle and bustle, the only one it matters to, is you.

We can give you pointers, we can give our opinions, but when it comes down to it, you have to make the decision yourself, and I highly recommend you give each option a trial run. (Get a room for the weekend, travel all around the area, etc.)

I have lived in and been to several cities in West Virginia, and I'll give my opinion on each one.

Clarksburg/Bridgeport/Anmoore: Love it. Lived there in 2004 and enjoyed every minute of it. I'm so terribly sorry we ever had to leave. (we were mislead about the Medicare Premiums and how the state handles them.) It's dirty in spots, sure. But it's full of character, it has beautiful hills all around, and plenty of kind folks who will smile and hold the door for you, just because. Oh and I can't remember if it was this thread or another, but someone had mentioned that Bridgeport was full of snobs. That might be your experience, but it certainly wasn't mine. Some very kind folks there as well.

Salem: Backwater, slow, last bastion of hope for civilization before you get into the deep woods and rural country. (Literally, not more than a thousand feet beyond the entry road for Salem, it stops being Harrison County and becomes Doddridge County. The difference IS like night and day. People not as warm or welcoming, but they weren't rude either. So, no complaints.

Centerpoint: (Dead center in the middle of nowhere. No, really, I mean it. The gas station, post office, library, and restaurant are so out of place in this...village.) The people keep to themselves, very quiet folks, a lot of wildlife just walking through the yards. (Looking out and seeing Deer is commonplace, and it would seem odd if you didn't.)

Fairmont: Beautiful, busy, and expensive. A really nice town (though I consider it a city, compared to the size of where I'm located now.) can't comment on the people though. But yes, a really nice looking place. Just not affordable for most.

Morgantown: Hectic, confining, and difficult to navigate. I've been lost before, but this place gave a whole new meaning to the term. (once I did get out and I realized the size of the city wasn't even close to what I'd imagined...I was rightfully embarrassed.) Too much rat race, too much traffic. Plus you throw in the University and all of the students...heh. No thanks. Okay place to visit, wouldn't live there.

Charleston: Ai, yi, yi. The size, the traffic, the pace, the industrial look....all were a major turn off to me. I just couldn't get into it. I like big cities, I do (Cleveland OH and Pittsburgh PA to name a few) but I just couldn't give this one a spot in my book.

Corridor G: (technically Charleston where I went shopping and to see movies) Expensive, hectic, people were un-intentionally rude. (The price, the pace, the class demanded it. For what they've known, it was normal to be cold and indifferent.)

Scott Depot/Hurricane/Nitro/Buffalo/St. Albans (I clumped them together because they all just run right into one another, and they're all about the same level for me.) BEAUTIFUL. Just the right amount of city and country. The people were kind, the cost of living wasn't terrible, and the feel there was just one of pure contentment. Absolutely one of my favorite places to be, period.

Huntington: Hectic, fast paced, a tad expensive, but really nice folks and the look (now I'm basing this on 2001, so a lot could've changed in seven, almost eight now, years.) I couldn't afford it, but I'd have loved to. A really great place. All the amenities of Charleston, without all of the rat race.

Beckley: Boring. Big and boring. I should've maybe given it more of a chance, but...boring.

Summersville (I think that's what it's called) nice, not too big or small, people friendly, right on one of the main travel veins of the state.

Oak Hill: Basically a town in the side of a hill. Nice looking though.

For me, Clarksburg. I feel as though I could call it home. It has all of the gimmicky stuff (Wal-Mart, Target, Circuit City, Fast food, etc) to keep me content, plus enough of a community (big community...) feel to give me the balance I was looking for.

BTW...anyone from Clarksburg on here now? If you could, I'd appreciate it if you could point out the safe and dangerous sections of town? My parents and I are looking at places down there and since both of my parents are handicapped, we want something safe. (And please, no comments about "Why the hell would you come here" or things of that nature. If you don't like it, fine. But that's not what I'm asking for.)

Great post! My wife and I love WV, and are in the process of finding a place (w/ land and reliable internet which are all we need). We don't want to be in a city, but being relatively close is acceptable.

Thanks for the summary. You really gave us some ideas of where to start searching!

Old 11-10-2008, 10:53 PM

10,147 posts, read 14,983,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
So you think that an areas growth is only measured in population loss and gain then huh? Well, let's look at this stat from another city you seem to love so dearly, Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has lost 23,345 people or 6.2% of thier population since 2000. That's almost the ENTIRE population of Morgantown. Does this mean Morgantown is better than Pittsburgh since Morgantown is growing and Pittsburgh is losing people? No it doesn't and I think you'd agree with that. Also look at the trends. Morgantown's population gains have slowed drastically in the last few years because, as others have pointed out, they are reaching a maximum capacity. Huntington's population loss has been slowing and will, statistically soon see a reversal of this and see some growth and we've got plenty of room for it. Huntington has also never encouraged MU students to register as Huntington residents like Morgantown has done with WVU students. This is about to change in the next census. Huntington is also getting outside help to make sure that all residents are counted so don't be surprised to see some actual growth in Huntington when data from the next census (not estimates) is released.

No maybe to it, the two are in different categories. And Huntington doesn't rank highly in any categories? Did you even look at the link? Huntington was rated as #1/200 for cost of living, 35/200 for income growth and 38/200 for the cost of doing business. And this was being compared to the largest areas in the nation. And your hunch, as you pointed out, is just conjecture that is merely based on your biased opinion rather than the trends. I've also already shown you what the trends indicated and it's not what you typed above.

I didn't say I knew why people were moving to Morgantown. If you'll re-read my post, I said it was because, AS YOU POINTED OUT, the growth of WVU. So I was only using your own words. Disagreeing with yourself now? Your more argumentative than I thought. And I find it quite funny how at first you visited Morgantown often, then you had a home there and now you are claiming you've moved there. Let me ask you this, where is your drivers licence from, where are your cars registered and where would the government come looking for you if they had to? Based on other posts that you've made, that would be CT. Or are you contradicting yourself on that as well?

And Huntington is highly rated in many of the areas you listed. The unemployment rate here is 3.5 % or just .7% above that in Morgantown. The job growth here was 2.7% with future job growth predicted to be over 26%. Not too shabby from all accounts. And you act like people aren't moving to Huntington, but they are. I've talked to people in the last 2 weeks who just moved from South Dakota, Lousiville, KY, Jacksonville, FL and a few others. And you know what, they all LOVE Huntington. But according to you, that's impossible. And this may be the end of the story for you, but it's no where near over. Things change every year, but with all of the things going on here and the way that the housing market hasn't slowed here like it has in other places. Things are looking great for Huntington. You may not agree but guess what, you don't live here (or even in the state) so it doesn't matter or even affect you. Let's let others who read this decide what they are looking for because that's what this site is really all about is to showcase what the state has. This is why I've backed up my argument by showing what Huntington has rather than trying to tear down Morgantown because believe me, I could. It's just sad that you couldn't do the same. Let's just agree to disagree on this subject. I'm not trying to convince you to move to Huntington, I'm just refuting some of the info you're giving out that's based on your opinion but you're presenting as fact. You keep on loving Morgantown, I'll keep on loving Huntington and we can just stop all of the arguing.
Tim
I's sorry it took me so long to respond, but I just got back from a few days in Morgantown. Let me clarify it for you... I own homes in both CT and WV. At this time, I spend about the same amount of time in each place. I tend to spend more time during the athletic seasons in Morgantown and less time in summers. I don't know why you find that so unusual. It is becoming popular for retired folks to locate themselves near major universities for the many opportunities afforded them there. I am no different than several others I know in Morgantown who are doing the same thing.

Actually I believe Morgantown IS a more desirable place to live than Pittsburgh. Perhaps that explains why some Pittsburgers are moving there. Pittsburgh is a medium sized city, not a large one. But it is big enough to have some of the problems associated with larger cities... relatively high crime, urban blight in some areas, etc. None of the towns in West Virginia are really in that category (they aren't large enough). Still, the fact that there are 2 million people living in Pittsburgh and its suburbs does provide for some cultural activities that are only available in the larger towns. They have first rate museums and top flight art galleries, and offer a diversity of entertainment opportunities that only towns of that size could provide.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information that Morgantown's population gains have "slowed" in recent years. My experience is that is just not the case. Now, in part what you are seeing is that the area within the "city limits" is pretty saturated with people. That is causing major spillover into surrounding areas that are either in neighboring towns (notably Granville and Star City, and to some extent Westover) but mostly into areas that are not "incorporated" at all but that are contiguous to Morgantown. There are several such areas, and they appear to be in Morgantown but are not actually within the limits. Whether or not they are later absorbed remains to be seen, but the immediate environs is growing rapidly and that has not stopped.

Next time you take your wife up for a visit drive out Van Voorhis, West Run, and the areas off WV Route 705. Development is continuing at a rapid rate.
I am not aware of any efforts to encourage West Virginia students to register as Morgantown residents. Like any organization, those who run the City of Morgantown have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. I'd be real surprised if they would want a bunch of college kids suddenly taking over their local government. The real difference between WVU students and Marshall students is a much higher percentage of Marshall students are commuters. That does not lend itself to enhancing the residential effect.

Huntington needs all the help it can get. I remember when the city actually had more than 80,000 people living there. Still a small town, to be sure, but nearly twice what is there today. Wheeling is in a similar situation. Population within Wheeling's limits was 68,000 in the 60s, and there were several good sized towns up and down the valley that made it seem much bigger than that. If I'm not mistaken, Huntington's population has dropped to something like 47,000 residents. Charleston's will also likley fall below 50,000 with the next census.

But it really isn't the number of people who do, or in Huntington's case who do not, live there. It is the effect of the people who do live there. With a rapidly growing population base in the Morgantown environs as well as a University with nearly 30,000 students located in the same place, the effect is one of prosperity and activity. I have driven around Huntington on several occasions and that effect is just not there like it is in Morgantown, and it is in Morgantown 20 hours a day 7 days a week. It has an urban "feel" to it. Huntington perhaps would too were it not seemingly half dead.

I don't know where this incredible growth you say is happening in Huntington is taking place. I have not seen evidence of it (last year when I was last there). Perhaps you could enlighten us about that and I'll take a look next time I'm there. Things don't really "draw" that well there. Basketball games... as few as 3,000 butts in the seats, football games, 23,000 announced crowds using funny Marshall math, but it is apparent there are no more than 10,000 butts in the seats. If you've been to the contests, you know that is so.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,354,305 times
I am NOT taking sides in this civil war, but I do like doing research:
According to the census bureau (latest info 2006 so could have greatly changed since these figures) Morgantown (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau and for Huntington http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/54/5439460.html (and you can also do it by county):

Population % change from 2000-2006
Mon Co. + 3.5% MoTown + 7.4%
Cabell - 3.0% Huntington - 5.0%

From 2000-2003, Mon Co. had a pop growth of 3.1% and Cabell had -1.8%
Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed, link removed

Please, don't kill the messenger.

Last edited by Yac; 11-14-2008 at 04:57 AM..

Old 11-11-2008, 01:03 AM

404 posts, read 1,184,582 times
Morgantown vs. Huntington? Aren't we comparing apples to oranges here?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:11 AM

Huntington hasn't seen population growth yet, which I've admitted. But as I've said, it is growing in other ways and it still has 20,000 more people than Morgantown, even with the losses. New housing developments are being built here, buildings downtown that have sat empty for years now in the upper floors are being redeveloped as condos for upscale living. New businesses keep coming in downtown. Redevelopment of streetscapes and roadways which relates to increased property values and even more interest from businesses and residents. Home sales are up here when compared to last year and so are home values. Huntington is a wonderful place that is improving itself and laying the foundation for some wonderful growth in the future, as is Marshall. Huntington is not "half dead" as you put it and driving around one time a year ago doesn't realy give you the right to make that judgement. And even with students, Huntington still has more people here on a daily basis so not sure what you're going for there. You never did show me the link where you got your commuter to resident breakdown for MU. Here are some links that show you how lively Huntington is and how good things are looking.

Huntington Underground (shows all of the live music going on in Huntington)
Downtown Huntington is Booming in Business / Local News, Severe Weather and Breaking News Coverage for West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky
Francis McGuire: Huntington still on the sunny side of the market - The Herald Dispatch
Welcome To The St. James Condominiums - Contact Us
Gallery: Skywalk plans and downtown condominiums - The Herald Dispatch (shows updated condos and future plans)

Also, I got my numbers for the growth in Morgantown slowing from here West Virginia by Place - GCT-T1-R. Population Estimates (geographies ranked by estimate) It's the most recent data set and also breaks things down by year. You also have to remember that these are estimates and even these numbers change yearly. And here's the article for WVU students being encouraged to register as Morgantown residents. WVU Today » Press Release » U.S. Census Bureau bus to visit WVU Friday, students to factor into census-building equation I was also there during this time and remember it well. My question was, would the university actually give the out-of-staters in-state tuition once they did this? And again, I understand that you split time between two houses but my question to you was, where is your "primary" residence? Which state are your vehicles registered in. That is your "home" while the other is merely for getaways i.e. football and basketball games.

I'll stop there because I really think this back and forth hs gone on long enough. As I said, I'm happy with where I live and like the direction we're headed in. Huntington offers a lot and continues to offer even more. It may have declined in your lifetime, but in mine it has only gotten better. Who knows what the future holds but I think I'll be here for a LONG time and I'm quite happy with that.
Tim

Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Huntington hasn't seen population growth yet, which I've admitted. But as I've said, it is growing in other ways and it still has 20,000 more people than Morgantown, even with the losses. New housing developments are being built here, buildings downtown that have sat empty for years now in the upper floors are being redeveloped as condos for upscale living. New businesses keep coming in downtown. Redevelopment of streetscapes and roadways which relates to increased property values and even more interest from businesses and residents. Home sales are up here when compared to last year and so are home values. Huntington is a wonderful place that is improving itself and laying the foundation for some wonderful growth in the future, as is Marshall. Huntington is not "half dead" as you put it and driving around one time a year ago doesn't realy give you the right to make that judgement. And even with students, Huntington still has more people here on a daily basis so not sure what you're going for there. You never did show me the link where you got your commuter to resident breakdown for MU. Here are some links that show you how lively Huntington is and how good things are looking.

Huntington Underground (shows all of the live music going on in Huntington)
Downtown Huntington is Booming in Business / Local News, Severe Weather and Breaking News Coverage for West Virginia, Ohio and Kentucky
Francis McGuire: Huntington still on the sunny side of the market - The Herald Dispatch
Welcome To The St. James Condominiums - Contact Us
Gallery: Skywalk plans and downtown condominiums - The Herald Dispatch (shows updated condos and future plans)

Also, I got my numbers for the growth in Morgantown slowing from here West Virginia by Place - GCT-T1-R. Population Estimates (geographies ranked by estimate) It's the most recent data set and also breaks things down by year. You also have to remember that these are estimates and even these numbers change yearly. And here's the article for WVU students being encouraged to register as Morgantown residents. WVU Today » Press Release » U.S. Census Bureau bus to visit WVU Friday, students to factor into census-building equation I was also there during this time and remember it well. My question was, would the university actually give the out-of-staters in-state tuition once they did this? And again, I understand that you split time between two houses but my question to you was, where is your "primary" residence? Which state are your vehicles registered in. That is your "home" while the other is merely for getaways i.e. football and basketball games.

I'll stop there because I really think this back and forth hs gone on long enough. As I said, I'm happy with where I live and like the direction we're headed in. Huntington offers a lot and continues to offer even more. It may have declined in your lifetime, but in mine it has only gotten better. Who knows what the future holds but I think I'll be here for a LONG time and I'm quite happy with that.
Tim
I can't argue with that. I know several other folks who are happy being in Huntington too. Let's address your other concerns one at a time. We both agree that Huntington is not growing, so that is a moot point. Refurbishing some old buildings and building a few houses to replace those torn down does not alter that fact. It does make what remains more palatable, to be sure. I never said Huntington was all the way dead. Just that it seems half dead, expecially in comparison with a place that actually is growing. MSN, just last week, rates Morgantown is the #6 growing economy in the entire country.

You are correct that Huntington still has 19,000 more people living in its city limits than Morgantown. At one time it had nearly 70,000 more people living there than in Morgantown. Times are a changin', and trends don't seem to be doing so.

College students do count as residents... they spend most of their time there. The reason that is significant for Morgantown is their students wouldn't be counted unless they signed up. Since most Marshall students are commuters, they are already counted where they spend most of their time. Being counted in the census is not the same as being an "in-state" student. A person has to live somewhere for an entire year without paying tuition to be in-state. It also does not register someone to vote, although they do have the option of doing so after a 30 day residence period.

Looking at your population trends figures, I suspect they are largely accurate. The reason... most of the growth currently taking place in Morgantown is actually happening outside of the city limits... Suncrest, Van Voorhis, West Run, Star City, Granville... none of those places are technically in Morgantown although they seem to be. Some of WVU's most recent growth is outside of the city limits as is most of the research development.

I have the option of registering my vehicles in either state. Currently two are registered in Connecticut and one in West Virginia. My drivers license is in Connecticut, although I am likely to change it the first of next year. Reason... I only retired just over 3 years ago and until that time I lived in CT full time. When I officially change my residence to WV I will change voter registrations and so forth at the same time. I saw little reason to do so as long as I also had a residence in CT. Officially, you are correct. My primary residence in official terms as I write this is in Connecticut. I will be counted in the Monongalia census next time out since it will have been changed before that time.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:50 PM

An early welcome back then for if/when you officially move back to WV. Stay passionate about Morgantown but remember that there are other parts of WV too. A lot of them. Charleston, Huntington, Wheeling , Parkersburg and others are all major players in the state and each offers something different. Be proud of what your area has but try not to tear down others just to try to make your area sound better for this accomplishes nothing. I hope to continue building WV up on this forum with you in the future and hopefully we can limit these back and forths. Such conversations tend to be counterproductive and rather than building up the state, they often times tear it down. Have a good day and again, an early welcome back to you.
Tim

Old 11-12-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
An early welcome back then for if/when you officially move back to WV. Stay passionate about Morgantown but remember that there are other parts of WV too. A lot of them. Charleston, Huntington, Wheeling , Parkersburg and others are all major players in the state and each offers something different. Be proud of what your area has but try not to tear down others just to try to make your area sound better for this accomplishes nothing. I hope to continue building WV up on this forum with you in the future and hopefully we can limit these back and forths. Such conversations tend to be counterproductive and rather than building up the state, they often times tear it down. Have a good day and again, an early welcome back to you.
Tim
One of the great sadnesses for me is what has taken place in the Upper Ohio Valley. I grew up in Marshall County, 7 miles outside of Wheeling. It was an outstanding place to live in the 50s and 60s. Prosperous and thriving, and everyone made good money there. Heavy industry was everywhere, and with it good jobs with excellent pay. The Wheeling Metro area had well over 250,000 people at the time, and it directly abutted the Steubenville-Weirton and Pittsburgh areas forming a large urban region. One by one those mills either closed or scaled way back. Outside of Pittsburgh, which has managed to diversity its economy to an extent that it has offset much of the industrial loss, the rest of the Upper Ohio Valley has lost most of their best paying jobs and half their population.

Wheeling is an "old money" town. It was built up by industrial barons in the early 1800s into an industrial powerhouse. The plants are gone, but a lot of the old money is still there. There are many very rich families that still call the place home. The difference... they are now investing most of their money in stocks and in places like Pittsburgh. Spin offs from the early years include perhaps the world's best municipal park system. Today, that is about all that remains from the days of greatness... that and the Symphony Orchestra. The big money folks still pump that up with donations. Many of the remaining Wheeling residents actually work in Pittsburgh these days, as do those of Steubenville-Weirton.

Huntington is in much the same situation as Wheeling, except that it wasn't quite as dependent on heavy industry and didn't have the proximity to a larger urban area. A larger reliance on coal and coal based revenue (railroads, etc.) put it in a slightly better position. Not enough better to fully avoid the downturns, but better none-the-less.

I don't know if heavy industry will ever really return to this country. Unfortunately, our workers have been victimized by the worst of both ends of the political spectrum. The radical right (fiscal conservatives) want cheap labor, so they promote open borders and build plants elsewhere to achieve that end. The radical left (greenies and other various wacko groups) push for such harsh regulation that it forces companies to move production out of the country in order to remain competitive with the result that there is actually more pollution because many foreign lands have little or no regulation at all of industry. The net result is loss of good American jobs and the destruction of entire urban areas.

What we really need to straighten out the mess is a good populist government, but the two groups who currently share power in Washington (and across the country) quickly get in bed together politically to protect their investment in the status quo. Until a viable third party is formed, I don't see how any meaningful improvement can be brought about politically.

West Virginia needs to focus on its obvious strengths. Research initiatives in development at WVU are a good beginning. Finding new and cleaner ways to use coal energy will pay huge dividends for the State and the Nation. The State also needs to diversify in terms of energy development. There is no reason West Virginia can't also become a leader in nuclear energy development as well as alternatives, but this will require fighting the vested interests in the coal industry... owners and unions. Natural gas also holds promise for the State's future. The bozo currently in the Governor's mansion is too tied to special interests to pull it off. A whole new era politically is desparately needed in the State.

The southern portion of the State is heavily Scotch Irish in ancestry. They're present in the northern areas too, but not to the same degree because there is an even heavier German ancestry presence in the northern areas. The reason I bring that up is the State inherited one unfortunate trait from the Scotch Irish. The clannishness they brought with them persists to some extent even today. People from one town constantly squabble with those from the next town and so forth. That trait makes concerted cooperative action very hard to develop because each group/community tends to look only to its own interests. It is going to take a long time to change that mindset.

Last edited by CTMountaineer; 11-12-2008 at 03:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia