U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2008, 03:00 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,841,235 times

Advertisements

That 'car is possibly the finest crafted automobile ever to leave the Henry Ford plant..a 1986 Lincoln Town Car (signature series) We had the priviledge of owning one when the kids were growing up and it was not only perfect, but maintenance free. A solid 25 mpg on trips. Safe and comfortable.

One was recently featured in a H.I. story...went over 1 milion miles for the owner. I would have one now, but I'm sure the interior would have an echo...just to large for our current needs and they are a people hauler. Made the very best limo's and taxi's...

Current close model: Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 07:54 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,906,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
That 'car is possibly the finest crafted automobile ever to leave the Henry Ford plant..a 1986 Lincoln Town Car (signature series) We had the priviledge of owning one when the kids were growing up and it was not only perfect, but maintenance free. A solid 25 mpg on trips. Safe and comfortable.
Thank you

Old 12-13-2008, 06:51 PM

13 posts, read 23,579 times
For a small city i wou have to say New Martinsville is the best place to live in W.V..

Old 12-13-2008, 11:35 PM

6,931 posts, read 5,468,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle4315 View Post
For a small city i wou have to say New Martinsville is the best place to live in W.V..
New Martinsville is a nice town, but the owner of their best restaurant just died last week. I love Wetzel County. Next to Monongalia, it is my personal favorite.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:48 PM

22 posts, read 46,537 times
Thank you for your suggestions. I shall look into them. It would help if I had some contacts there , since I live about four hours drive. Thanks, Again

Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
Yeah... it's nothing but "urban blight" up here in Pittsburgh... what ignorance... I'd wager that Pitt, Carnegie-Mellon, Duquesne and the other 30 or so colleges and universities in Metro Pittsburgh provide a tad more "educational opportunity" than Morgantown... I like Morgantown... but it's not even a State College, PA... it's a small town with a mid-tier large public university... Wheeling's been in decline and lacks the vibrancy that a large university affords... but at least it's a real city... it has a fantastic collection of Victorian homes in its core areas... which I suppose most people on this forum would consider "nasty" lol

As for Pittsburgh having lower incomes than Morgantown... get real

2005 Per Capita Personal Income:

Pittsburgh, PA metro - $36,530 (106% of the national average)
Morgantown, WV metro - $28,058 (81% of the national average)
Wheeling, WV metro - $27,565 (80% of the national average)

wow... Morgantown's incomes are almost as low as Wheeling's...
You income figures are history. And, while it is true that Pittsburgh has a lot of "educational opportunity" as you put it, it is also true that it is largely located in the midst of urban blight. The Pitt campus is literally in the Hill District, or at least on the fringes of it.

Most recent Pittsburgh median household income (2007) is $32,363.
There is a reason the 'Burgh has lost almost 7% of its population in the past 8 years.

Morgantown's median household income (2007) is $30,343. There is also a reason Mo'Town has grown by 9% during the same time period. When you consider that Pittsburgh is a blue collar town that happens to have some colleges located in it, and that Morgantown is a town with more than half the residents with at least a bachelors degree (a lot of student households) it is easy to explain the $2,000 income differential, and just as easy to explain the better quality of life in Morgantown.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 AM

4,715 posts, read 8,841,235 times
The new Campus's of Penn State and Carnegie-Mellon on on the outskirts of Morgantown at Uniontown.

Both have 1200 acre campuses with new buildings...that gives the Morgantown Region 3 distinct schools within a 20 mile radius...throw in Fairmont State University 17 miles to the south and you have 4.

Will serve the area growth quite nicely....money and attendance will shift to these colleges as time goes by....and the Pa drain of Pennsy students attending WVU will slow...
It's still cheaper to go to WVU.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
The new Campus's of Penn State and Carnegie-Mellon on on the outskirts of Morgantown at Uniontown.

Both have 1200 acre campuses with new buildings...that gives the Morgantown Region 3 distinct schools within a 20 mile radius...throw in Fairmont State University 17 miles to the south and you have 4.

Will serve the area growth quite nicely....money and attendance will shift to these colleges as time goes by....and the Pa drain of Pennsy students attending WVU will slow...
It's still cheaper to go to WVU.
I doubt the Penn State regional campus or Carnegie-Mellon will have significant effect on West Virginia enrollment. PSU regional schools tend to be either glorified community colleges or teacher training schools, and CMU caters to a different clientelle. PSU will more directly compete with California-PA for students, which is another regional institution. It will also put some pressure on Pitt for PA students.

Also, don't forget to include Waynesburg College and Washington and Jefferson as being in the region. There are 7 colleges within a relatively easy drive of Morgantown.

Pitt is an urban school that has long depended on medical research as a claim to fame. There is nothing wrong with that, but the overall educational experience of such an institution, especially one located in the Oakland district, appeals to a relatively restricted range of student types. Personally, I wouldn't want my daughter hanging around that place any time after dark.

West Virginia gets great exposure in the Northeast with the Big East membership. I think enrollment will continue to outpace space for some time to come.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,761 times
Parkersburg used to be a good city to live in but over the past 5 years it has gone downhill very quickly

Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 PM

That's sad too. And Gov. Photo Op is not helping matters in Parkersburg either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia