Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 06:50 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,796,582 times

Advertisements

A couple of my older posts were removed but I honestly wasn't trolling. I just really don't think WV is a good state to live in after having lived here my whole life. I work in PA since for some reason, magicallly, as soon as you cross the border the employment opportunities get way better. Virginia also blows away WV in the jobs category. WV has so many problems I don't even feel like getting into it this morning. Five of the main problems are the culture, the whole 50 years behind-the-times thing, the jobs, the abundant amount of unhealthy people, and a lack of the 30something single w/ no kids scene. If you were born into a family owned company or something and you already started a family in your twenties then WV probably isn't bad for you but otherwise...it's not that great at all.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 AM

6,067 posts, read 9,088,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
A couple of my older posts were removed but I honestly wasn't trolling. I just really don't think WV is a good state to live in after having lived here my whole life. I work in PA since for some reason, magicallly, as soon as you cross the border the employment opportunities get way better. Virginia also blows away WV in the jobs category. WV has so many problems I don't even feel like getting into it this morning. Five of the main problems are the culture, the whole 50 years behind-the-times thing, the jobs, the abundant amount of unhealthy people, and a lack of the 30something single w/ no kids scene. If you were born into a family owned company or something and you already started a family in your twenties then WV probably isn't bad for you but otherwise...it's not that great at all.
Of course everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but there isn't a place other than West Virginia that I'd rather live!

And how is WV 50 years behind the times???

Old 12-18-2010, 11:45 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
and I have to agree with you yet again on a lot of that.....I think the problem has to do with general exposure to different places and different ways of life. I mean, to somebody who's been isolated all their life and never really ventured out at all, a place like Elkins could be "the big city" and have "opportunities galore with all sorts of great things to do". That's part of SWPA/WV's charm, just that things are so simple and slow, but it is very frustrating if you're younger and want a little more. Knowledge and exposure can be both a blessing and a curse.

But WV simply isn't developed enough to cater to the whole "young professional" thing or to anybody looking outside of the box just a bit. Morgantown works as a temporary escape, but it's way to transient and dominated by 20-somethings culturally as most college towns are and I imagine things would get awkward around 30. I'm completely back and forth about what in the world I want to do this Spring/Summer...I'll be 25 and it's either get a place in Pittsburgh along the South Side Slopes and commute 1 hour and 20 minutes to work every day, or head accross the border to Morgantown and commute about 30 minutes to work every day. Pittsburgh is the by far the more permanent and "down the road acceptable" option for me, but I honestly like Morgantown and WV a million times better...but I'm worried that'll change in a few more years.

Old 12-20-2010, 03:57 PM

4,952 posts, read 8,945,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
But on the ugly part, come on the city is so depressing to look at. Although I will say what Marshall has done with its campus is a plus!!!
Sounds like your experience with Huntington has mostly been on 16th Street and then 3rd/5th Ave to get in/out. That definately isn't the most attractive part with the Government housing and student housing as well. It would be like driving into Charleston from the West End and judging the whole city on that. Walk around downtown and look at the architecture, especially the upper floors. Look around at the various churches, the historic neighborhoods by Ritter Park and up by the Museum of Art. Look around the entire town and then make a better judgement. The town as a whole definately is not ugly or depressing, especially in the Late Spring or Early Summer.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbailey1138 View Post
Sounds like your experience with Huntington has mostly been on 16th Street and then 3rd/5th Ave to get in/out. That definately isn't the most attractive part with the Government housing and student housing as well. It would be like driving into Charleston from the West End and judging the whole city on that. Walk around downtown and look at the architecture, especially the upper floors. Look around at the various churches, the historic neighborhoods by Ritter Park and up by the Museum of Art. Look around the entire town and then make a better judgement. The town as a whole definately is not ugly or depressing, especially in the Late Spring or Early Summer.
Ohh but I have

Yes Huntington has its share of fine architecture, but over all the city isn't that characteristic. The taller buildings in downtown are really the cause of it though. They are with out a doubt, the most bland buildings in town!

Old 12-22-2010, 01:56 PM

306 posts, read 605,296 times
Quote:
Of course everyone is entitled to his or her own opinion, but there isn't a place other than West Virginia that I'd rather live!

And how is WV 50 years behind the times???
Dial up internet, no cell phone service, having to drive 50 miles to get to a decent store/mall (usually in another state), and those so called malls aren't even malls...very bad education, I could go on and on.

Old 12-22-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Dial up internet, no cell phone service, having to drive 50 miles to get to a decent store/mall (usually in another state), and those so called malls aren't even malls...very bad education, I could go on and on.
What?????

Dial up internet?
cell phone service?
decent stores?
bad education?
and no malls?

have you ever been to WV????

I have the fastest high speed internet out there, 4g service, I live near Charleston which has everything, and one of the best downtown malls in the region!!! And I attended a school system that is at the top of the nation when it comes to technology in the classroom!!!!

Get a life! troll!

Old 12-22-2010, 04:15 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,583 times
What is this, pick on West Virginia Week?

Those guys better be careful, or they'll find their stockings full of coal come Saturday morning.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorpus View Post
What is this, pick on West Virginia Week?

Those guys better be careful, or they'll find their stockings full of coal come Saturday morning.
Why should Santa give them the coal our miners work so hard to get!!! LOL

I'm really getting tired of all the BS this week!

What other state in the nation can say that you can build a 5,000sq ft house for less than $200g and it be in as beautiful of a place as the Mountain State!!!

Old 12-23-2010, 06:25 AM

306 posts, read 605,296 times
Quote:
What?????

Dial up internet?
cell phone service?
decent stores?
bad education?
and no malls?

have you ever been to WV????

I have the fastest high speed internet out there, 4g service, I live near Charleston which has everything, and one of the best downtown malls in the region!!! And I attended a school system that is at the top of the nation when it comes to technology in the classroom!!!!

Get a life! troll!
Ummm, happen to live in WV, so now what???? You talk about Charleston, that's one town....the rest of the state needs some major improvements....good forbid I break down while traveling back and forth to work, I'm SOL with no one to call due to lack of cell service. 50 miles is a longggg walk home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.