U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 07:04 AM

4,979 posts, read 6,540,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Ummm, happen to live in WV, so now what???? You talk about Charleston, that's one town....the rest of the state needs some major improvements....good forbid I break down while traveling back and forth to work, I'm SOL with no one to call due to lack of cell service. 50 miles is a longggg walk home.
I'm sorry to hear you haven't made the jump to high speed internet, live in a place with no cell service, and far away from any civilization, but that was your choice!

Old 12-24-2010, 02:39 PM

9,402 posts, read 11,466,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutz1012 View Post
Ummm, happen to live in WV, so now what???? You talk about Charleston, that's one town....the rest of the state needs some major improvements....good forbid I break down while traveling back and forth to work, I'm SOL with no one to call due to lack of cell service. 50 miles is a longggg walk home.
So, move to a town if you don't like rural living. When you choose to live out in the sticks, you also choose to do without some of the stuff that requires civilization. That's your choice. Every town I know of in WV has those amentities you mentioned.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:44 AM

4,714 posts, read 11,717,136 times
At its annual town meeting the other night...the City Council of Mobley voted to ban cell phone usage and internet service..

Counselwoman and Chairman Irene Findo said this, "We are the last of West Virginia...what was once a great state....our values should be held extant without corruption...extremism in defense of liberty is no vice...We will defend the cause of freedom wherever it can be found...Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country...We must stay unmoved until a generation of partiots comes forward to rescue our land...

after the thunderous applause, she continued...'I propose we create a revenue stream to pay for our pensions and expanded government...Let's create a 'speed trap like the folks down in Gauley Bridge and Summersville.

Her motion died for lack of a Second...
"Was a little extreme..." commented Wilbur Rockefeller, Editor of the Mobley Daily Register.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,297,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post

Her motion died for lack of a Second...
"Was a little extreme..." commented Wilbur Rockefeller, Editor of the Mobley Daily Register.
Another factor in the motion failing was that Mobley currently has no cell phone service, and dial-up Internet has to go through an operator in Hundred.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,953 times
My husband and I are looking for mountain farm land, away from the hustle and bustle but not so far you can't get to a Wal-Mart. Any suggestions on what area is best suited for us???

Old 04-22-2011, 02:05 PM

4,979 posts, read 6,540,081 times
Roane County near Walton is nice

also anywhere in Lewis County

Old 04-22-2011, 07:14 PM

1,614 posts, read 597,170 times
Out of curiosity, are the college student's incomes included in Morgantown statistics? I was surprised to find out several years ago that Athens County, Ohio was considered to be the poorest county in the state (there IS a lot of poverty there, but the city of Athens itself appears much more prosperous than any other city in sotheastern Ohio, and has a very large population by southeastern Ohio standards, and by itself should have (much) more than sufficed to lift the county's overall income level above that of at least one other poverty-stricken county. One of the reasons that I was given for Athens County ranking below other poverty-stricken counties in Ohio was that nearly thirty thousand college students at Ohio University and Hocking College were factored in. Although a huge percentage of the students, at OU at least (I am not as familiar with Hocking College), are from solidly middle-class backgrounds much of their income, of course, comes from their families and is not reported to the IRS. Thus, one of the (statistically) poorest counties in southeastern Ohio has one of the most bustling retail, restaraunt, and bar scenes in SE Ohio. I worked for a year in Chauncey, and am well aware that there is a great deal of (abject) poverty there, particularly in the rural areas, but as most of the other severely impoverished counties in Ohio lack a counterpart to Athens or the two colleges, I suspect that they were counting the students reported incomes in the figures.

Last edited by robertbrianbush; 04-22-2011 at 07:34 PM..

Old 04-24-2011, 06:20 PM

Actually, yes. College student and part time incomes are included in the figures listed for Morgantown, but those same students who live in the city most of the year are not included as "permanent residents" for population purposes. It drastically skews statistics, but if you spend some time here you will realize that what you read is not what exists. It is economically one of the most thriving areas in the country, and that will likely become all the more evident with the shale gas developments taking place.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 3,312 times
if you were going back with money and did not have to work go to the outskirts of moundsville it is a great place to raise a family not much crime and even less work.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnierocker View Post
if you were going back with money and did not have to work go to the outskirts of moundsville it is a great place to raise a family not much crime and even less work.
Having grown up in just that area, I can say that is true. However, continuing Marcellus development in the area will undoubtedly change its character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or