Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 06:35 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Heard the bear population is getting out of hand.
I'll second the bear population. And they are bold! And they answer the pang of hunger no matter where food is. I'm in the city - not rural. The bears know no boundaries. People who keep wild bird seed in their sheds for filling their bird feeders have a new peril - bears will follow the scent of birdseed and break into sheds right here in the city to get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 01:37 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Alice we're slipping in the polls

Corporate Crime Reporter: Most Corrupt States in the Nation

We didn't even get honorable mention!

Old 12-09-2008, 08:19 AM

Never fear, they didn't even bother with states with a population less than 2 million. We are 37th when it comes to most populated. Looks like they picked on the most populated for the most corrupt states. Like everything else, it was slanted to agree with what someone suspected to be true. As always, they kept narrowing it down until the results agreed with someone's opinion.

Maybe I should conduct a similar survey of states with a population of fewer than 2 million but more than one and a half million with a mean income of less than forty thousand but more than thirty-five thousand with no one city in the state a population exceeding one million and which has more than 5 electoral votes but fewer than 7 and south of Lake Erie but east of the Mississippi River.

Let's be real, that's how "surveys" are really conducted.

Last edited by AliceT; 12-09-2008 at 08:27 AM..

Old 12-09-2008, 04:50 PM

If ever there were a real and unbiased survey, there would be no perimeters at all. WV would be near the top of the list.

Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM

42 posts, read 43,022 times
Default I still want to live in Bluefield/Princeton WV

I have been reading the posts on this site and (sorry) I still want to move to the Bluefied/Princeton area. I visit for a week in Oct. 06 and Jan. 08. Originally I looked in Bramwell, but jeez who can afford that place? I'm semi-retired (semi because my SS doesn't go too far in upstate NY) so had to go back to working part time to pay for taxes etc. Although i was born and raised in New York City I lived in New Orleans for 12 years and I love the south. I now live in rural upstate New York in the Catskills. Not very different from the Bluefield area. I know that some of you are hoping that WV is never discovered, but you know that won't happen. You can only hope that those of us who move down contribute to the area - and I don't mean just with money - and treat everyone they meet as they would like to be treated. Now the bear and black mold and floods aside - if you had to choose between Bluefield and Princeton which town would you move to and why? I'm not looking for a fixer upper. I know that I will probably have to do a little work - and as I totally renovated the house I'm in now, so I'm kind of used to fixing some things as I have the money. Thanks. By the way, you can discourage people all you want, but the people and the mountains and way of life will overrule your comments every time.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:22 AM

Ronee if you're serious about living here you need to get the wax to blacken your teeth and repel the hoards of yuppies. It's a very serious responsibility, lest you have them follow you here with plans of paving over and creating timeshare communities like florida. Blech. Ptewwey.

Foreclosure rates are offering fire sale bargain prices all over the country (except in WV, which remained reasonable all along). Come visit and see what works for you. It's a whole other lifestyle.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 AM

42 posts, read 43,022 times
Harborlady, I already had to blacken my teeth when I moved to upstate New York. I have two great realtors (from my visits) who constantly send me listings in my price range and with my criteria, so looking for a place won't be a huge problem (at least I'm hoping not) I plan to rent for as long as it takes to find the right fit for me. I looked in the Oakhurst area. Of course I loved the big houses, but cannot afford them. But they also had reasonably priced homes. I do know I want an old house. I love them and their quirks. There seem to be a lot of houses for sale in the Oakhurst area and my agent said she thought the folks there did not like the school system. I don't have kids, so that would not be a big concern, and honestly I plan for this to be my last move, so I'm not so focused on resale. I would also prefer to live in a "neighborhood" with single folks, families etc. and not a development. Any advice from any of the posters would be appreciated.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 PM

I think you've got the right idea about renting first. Even if you buy a house you plan on doing some remodeling on at least you won't have to live in it 24/7 while it's going on. Plaster dust is miserable and ruins electronics. Trying to time out the plumbing for least inconvenience was a royal pain in my butt for instance.
One thing that helped me make my decision to chose a property was walking the streets at night on a weekend. If there's trouble that's when it will show up. I can answer about charleston-- my block has 3 elderly, 4 families, and 4 single people of various ages. The strange thing about charleston is turn a corner and it's a completely different neighborhood, which is also the strange thing about WV itself. I like it, but it takes some getting used to.

Personal preferences- I liked princeton better than bluefield because it was less strip mall commerical stuff, it was a hop skip to the interstate (I tend to travel a lot), and many developments kept their rural feel. I saw some charming log homes there but they were leaning towards HOA mentalities so I moved along. Acreage was also higher priced. My impressions of bluefield might be superficial because I didn't spend lots of time there and high traffic volume was what stuck in my mind more than anything. 4 yrs ago when I was scouting the virginia proper bluefield of tazewell county (directly across the state line from bluefield wv) had crime going on (drug running on back roads). I believe another blogger- millersangel- lives/ works in bluefield WV and if you go find her historical posts you can get lots of info that way. Good luck!

Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,680 times
Default Really?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Here's a quick lesson: The springs high up on the mountains will overflow their banks during a heavy rain and start traveling down the mountains via the roads. Any area lower than the road quickly flooded - including basements of houses located high on the mountains and in the hollows of said mountains. These are homes that are perched high on the hills,. A casual observation would say they were safe from flooding.

Not when the flood starts at the top of the mountain. and works it's way down.... It happened in 2001 and again, 10 months later. The flooding came down the mountain rather than working it's way up from below.

There is no such thing as high & dry in the mountain regions. The only time that a house can really be considered high and dry is if there is no higher ground in any direction, as in, it is on the top of the mountain. Even then, if the banks of a lake or creek are higher than your house, you still aren't high and dry enough to escape flooding that starts on top of the mountain.
I own a house in Bluefield, WV and lived there for a while. My house NEVER flooded and never even came close to looking like it would be flooded. My house is on the side of a hill and was built in 1910. The basement never got water in it or anything. I don't know where you got your information from but I can't even recall a newspaper article or anything that said there was flooding in the region. If you would've said bad snow storms, I could see it but NOT flooding.

Bluefield is a VERY beautiful place with some of the best views I've ever seen (that's saying something considering I now live in WY). The people there, for the most part, are very friendly. Of couse, as in other cities around the country, you will meet rude people or trashy people. As for the economy, my husband and I both worked while we were there and neither of us had a hard time finding work. Black mold? I moved to WV from FL and there was WAAAYYY more black mold there! Don't tell people bad things about WV unless they are true. WV has a bad enough reputation without adding lies to it! Just look at what "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia" did for the state.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,316,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLmommy View Post
I own a house in Bluefield, WV and lived there for a while. My house NEVER flooded and never even came close to looking like it would be flooded. My house is on the side of a hill and was built in 1910. The basement never got water in it or anything. I don't know where you got your information from but I can't even recall a newspaper article or anything that said there was flooding in the region. If you would've said bad snow storms, I could see it but NOT flooding.

Bluefield is a VERY beautiful place with some of the best views I've ever seen (that's saying something considering I now live in WY). The people there, for the most part, are very friendly. Of couse, as in other cities around the country, you will meet rude people or trashy people. As for the economy, my husband and I both worked while we were there and neither of us had a hard time finding work. Black mold? I moved to WV from FL and there was WAAAYYY more black mold there! Don't tell people bad things about WV unless they are true. WV has a bad enough reputation without adding lies to it! Just look at what "The Wild and Wonderful Whites of West Virginia" did for the state.
You obviously didnt live in the area in 2001 or 2002 when they had terrible floods just up US 52 which basically destroyed Landgraff, Kimball, Eckman, Northfork and Keystone and part of Welch.

And I question anyone who calls Bluefield "a very beautiful place". You obviously dont make it out near the N&W rail yards, or downtown much. There are a couple nice areas (mostly on the Virginia side), and the vista's from US 460 are nice, but it's a town whose better days are well behind it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia