U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 07:51 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,942,077 times

Advertisements

Near as I can tell, half or more of the couples in WV are interracial. A common condition in WV is that people are color blind when it comes to skin tone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2009, 10:39 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,590,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Near as I can tell, half or more of the couples in WV are interracial. A common condition in WV is that people are color blind when it comes to skin tone.

Which is exactly how it should be!

I live in upstate NY & see interracial couples all the time. Just like anything else in life, celebrate the differences & realize you still have more things in common, than not!

WV is one of the states I am looking at to relocate. I'm single & at the moment not looking for more. But when I am finally ready, I want to be in a place where interracial dating & other "issues" are so ho-hum that they are practically non-existent.

Old 01-10-2009, 09:21 PM

49 posts, read 133,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usherslove05 View Post
My boyfriend and I are considering moving to West Virginia in the future. I have a few questions and was hoping to get some feedback. Martinsburg, WV is about 5 or 6 hours from where i live (Sullivan County, NY). My questions are: what is the job market like? I have a bachelor's degree in psychology and was hoping to move someplace where it would be put to use and i could make a decent living. Im interested in caseworker, advocate, service coordinator positions. second, are there and facilities that provide and care for the developmentally disabled there? we both work for a facility that cares for developmentally disabled adults. Also, my boyfriend is black, and i am white is this a racist community? Are there other parts in West Virginia that you feel would be more suited for us? Thanks in advance...

The people in WV generally will accept different races, however, mostly people they have known all of their life.

If you're talking about moving to WV, and you're a complete stranger to everyone, IMO I'm not sure you'd be happy there.

Most West Virginians families have been in WV for generations, they've all grown up together and eveyone knows everyone. It's difficult for outsiders to be accepted there. People there, even in the major cities are going to school with other kids where the parents have gone to school together, and grown up together. Everyone there is connected for generations. They tend to stick to others who are deeply rooted there.

There's some growth in Martinsburg and maybe a couple of other cities in WV, but what they consider growth is a small amount. Growth is very slow there.

Just like the song says, Almost Heaven WV. "life is old there, older than the trees."

I wouldn't refer to WV as racist, just really conservative and set in their ways. Like I've said, they are very nice to their own, even of different races. But when you move there and your are not "their own", not meaning own kind, but meaning they are used to knowing EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING about a person from years of their family history and their extended family even, to people's entire life history. They never forget anything and everything a person has done their entire life in WV. If anyone has done anything wrong, had any mishap in character, most people will warn everyone else to "stay away" from them. It can be the smallest thing. They're a very sensative culture. For example, it's common there for girls to be told they are not "allowed" to date a boy because there is something about the boy's father the girls parents don't like. And it wasn't anything criminal. This happened to a friend of mine. (remember, everyone knows everything about everyone)

If one West Virginian meets another West Virginian they do not know, they can count on a friend telling them all about that person from age 3, what type of kid they were, who they bullied in elemetary school and usually everything and everyone they've ever married or dated, everything that's happened in their life, and how it's happened.

When people are used to knowing all of this about everyone, someone they don't know anything about, won't even come close to what they're used to having. You may have difficulty and acceptance issues, to say the least. WV is a different way of life. The culture is so different than most places you've ever been, and the people are extremely sensative. It doesn't take much to set off the "stay away" from that person alarm, and I don't mean this in the way of race, I mean a person who does anything that's considered not acceptable, and include with that a small population compared to other places. West Virginians get the luxury of being so judgemental of others, because they don't have any need to make new friends. They generally don't move around a lot. They stay friends with people they've known their entire lives, and generally never make new friends for lack of need or want. If they do make a new friend it's generally at a young age, and generally another West Virginian with deep roots there, who closely knows a current life long friend of theirs. These are things you should consider.

I'm speaking from first hand experience. I was born and raised all of my life in WV. I have deep family roots in WV for generations. I moved away, although I didn't want to move away, but my parents jobs relocated, and it's because of this I can tell you how different WV is from the rest of the world. I also graduated from a big 10 University.

Last edited by Country4life; 01-10-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-10-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:

This statement about WV is so false, it should be under false in the dictionary.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:17 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,865,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4life View Post
This statement about WV is so false, it should be under false in the dictionary.
Yea, I also wondered about AliceT's statement about the percentage. Especially since AliceT usually says something to keep people out of the state. Either you are new here or have changed your name - if you are new here, you have missed all the "shut down the borders" posts by AliceT. We have had a lot of fun with that.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 PM

3,105 posts, read 6,865,425 times
Quote:
The people in WV generally will accept different races, however, mostly people they have known all of their life. ............ Most West Virginians families have been in WV for generations, they've all grown up together and eveyone knows everyone. It's difficult for outsiders to be accepted there. People there, even in the major cities are going to school with other kids where the parents have gone to school together, and grown up together. Everyone there is connected for generations. They tend to stick to others who are deeply rooted there.
Agree that in some areas the people may be leery of outsiders but have a hard time with the generalization of it is difficult for outsiders to be accepted. As an outsider moving to WV, I never experienced that.

I moved to a small town in WV in grade school (lived there a year then moved back out of state). The students welcomed me with open arms and I quickly fit right in. As an adult, I moved back to WV, have lived in a couple different towns, and have found everyone to be friendly and accepting.

No offense is meant but I have to wonder, if you lived in WV your whole life, you say outsiders are not accepted, does that mean you did not accept new kids at your school, new neighbors, etc.?

Quote:
I wouldn't refer to WV as racist, just really conservative and set in their ways.
I'd say that is pretty true and I say that in a positive light. The majority of people believe in hard-work and values. Do NOT mess with the right to own firearms, to hunt, fish, etc. I'm sure there probably are other states that are the same but I have never seen so many people who have a garden or use a wood stove to supplement their heating bill (many/most cut their own firewood). When I moved to the Chas area, I was stunned to see the roads as packed on Wed PM as on Sunday AM with people going to church. They don't just go on Wed - they go twice a week. Yes, we have "bad" people and people who believe living on welfare for life is their birthright, but I've found most people to have pretty traditional values.

Quote:
they are used to knowing EVERYTHING, and I do mean EVERYTHING about a person from years of their family history and their extended family even, to people's entire life history.
Have found that to be true in little towns. I found it to be pretty useful in a variety of ways - not nosey ways but, for example, when renting out our house it only took a couple phones calls to find out if those were people I could trust with my home.

One thing I LOVE about WV, if you meet someone new and really talk to them, chances are really good that you will discover you have mutual friends somewhere in the state.

Quote:
They never forget anything and everything a person has done their entire life in WV. If anyone has done anything wrong, had any mishap in character, most people will warn everyone else to "stay away" from them. It can be the smallest thing. They're a very sensative culture. For example, it's common there for girls to be told they are not "allowed" to date a boy because there is something about the boy's father the girls parents don't like. And it wasn't anything criminal. This happened to a friend of mine. (remember, everyone knows everything about everyone)
As a parent, I find this reassuring.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4life View Post
A difference of exposure does not make what a person shares here a nontruth.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM

2,429 posts, read 6,696,435 times
But Alice, just mathematically, there aren't enough non-whites in WV to result in half of all couples being multi-racial.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:37 AM

But snorpus, don't we all make generalizations based on the tiny little segment of the world we live in as being the case worldwide (if not statewide)? That is the viewpoint I have in my little piece of the state.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
But snorpus, don't we all make generalizations based on the tiny little segment of the world we live in as being the case worldwide (if not statewide)? That is the viewpoint I have in my little piece of the state.

The OP is asking for accurate info. You aren't giving it, living in your "own world" bubble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia