U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-11-2009, 07:31 PM
 
49 posts, read 133,459 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
Agree that in some areas the people may be leery of outsiders but have a hard time with the generalization of it is difficult for outsiders to be accepted. As an outsider moving to WV, I never experienced that.

I moved to a small town in WV in grade school (lived there a year then moved back out of state). The students welcomed me with open arms and I quickly fit right in. As an adult, I moved back to WV, have lived in a couple different towns, and have found everyone to be friendly and accepting. .

No offense is meant but I have to wonder, if you lived in WV your whole life, you say outsiders are not accepted, does that mean you did not accept new kids at your school, new neighbors, etc.?



I'd say that is pretty true and I say that in a positive light. The majority of people believe in hard-work and values. Do NOT mess with the right to own firearms, to hunt, fish, etc. When I moved to the Chas



Have found that to be true in little towns. I found it to be pretty useful in a variety of ways - not nosey ways but, for example, when renting out our house it only took a couple phones calls to find out if those were people I could trust with my home.

One thing I LOVE about WV, if you meet someone new and really talk to them, chances are really good that you will discover you have mutual friends somewhere in the state.



As a parent, I find this reassuring.

You've just verified everything I've said about WV to be true, and try to remember, I never wanted to move away, but then I have a lot of friends and family there, so if you feel what I've said is positive, great, I'm not saying it isn't. It might NOT be positive for others considering moving to the sate, they will need to decide.

You said as an outsider yourself, you haven't found what I've said to be true. You also wouldn't have as much insight about what's really going on as someone who was born an raised there. Some people may be able to move there and make it ok, but it's not going to be so easy for everyone, and you really shouldn't paint them an easy picture, because that's just not the case. Believe it or not, just telling everyone you lived there as a child would score a lot of points with people there.

You said you moved there as a young child and you made friends, this is consistant with what I've said.

Also, you said if you make a new friend you'll find that your friends know each other. And that's consistant with what I've said also.

I've found everything I've said about WV to be true from just a couple of miles out of the one the largest, if not THE largest city in WV, not just a little town, even though I'm not going to say which one, probably closer than you think.

And you asked did I accept new neighbors.....I never had any new neighbors, my entire life, and I grew up in a neighborhood of about 8 kids all my age. So it wasn't exactly the boonies. Did I accept new friends......I was always nice to everyone, and I always had a lot of friends. However, it was rare to ever see a new person in school. And if I was nice to them or not, didn't really make much of a difference as to how well they fit in. Of the few people who were new, most of them left within a year and we never saw them again. (this is so consistent with what you've said it's erie) Evidently, your parents didn't fit well.

What I'm trying to do, is give someone an honest look at, "will they fit in or like moving to WV". So that's what I'm trying to do. Taking up for it, or trying to paint it better than it is for them, isn't going to help them in any way.

Last edited by Country4life; 01-11-2009 at 08:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-11-2009, 07:51 PM
 
48 posts, read 118,448 times
Reputation: 28
Thanks.. but we no longer plan to move to Virginia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Charleston, WV
3,105 posts, read 6,862,464 times
Reputation: 840
You are welcome. Umm, but this is West Virginia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 PM
 
Location: Charleston, WV
3,105 posts, read 6,862,464 times
Reputation: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4life View Post
The OP is asking for accurate info. You aren't giving it, living in your "own world" bubble.
But that is exactly the same thing you did by your generalizations.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 12:10 AM
 
49 posts, read 133,459 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
But that is exactly the same thing you did by your generalizations.
What I've said are NOT generalizations. I'm not going into any more detail. What I've said is in no way a generlization. It's the norm. It's more than obvious you are not from WV, and you're the one making generalizations. You don't realize how much family and extended family someone from WV can have. You don't realize how many different towns in WV those family members can live in. It's obvious you don't get it. You don't realize when someone from WV has a lot of family, those family members have a lot of friends, and those friends have friends. Everyone is connected, and it's obvious you don't really get that either. You don't have an understanding. And I really shouldn't be here giving away so much info about my home state anyway.

Last edited by Country4life; 01-12-2009 at 12:35 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 10:36 AM
 
Location: Gary, WV & Springfield, ME
5,826 posts, read 8,938,917 times
Reputation: 17293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4life View Post
You don't realize how much family and extended family someone from WV can have. You don't realize how many different towns in WV those family members can live in. It's obvious you don't get it. You don't realize when someone from WV has a lot of family, those family members have a lot of friends, and those friends have friends. Everyone is connected, and it's obvious you don't really get that either. You don't have an understanding. And I really shouldn't be here giving away so much info about my home state anyway.
So what you are saying is that you are passing on as fact what members of your own family have to say on the subject of WV - whether or not you have experienced it yourself. You have no more facts than anyone else here, but because *you* are saying it, it is the only necessary information to the OP.

I stand by my statements here and I am sure vec101 stands by his. You stand by yours, but that doesn't mean that your hearsay is better than our firsthand experience. Personally, I disbelieve you questioned all your family members about this specific question to give a wider viewpoint.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Hamilton, NJ
215 posts, read 1,095,032 times
Reputation: 115
I'd like to add that as an "outsider" (moved to WV from NJ) I was greeted with nothing but friendly WV residents. And my husband and I both have accents, so its obvious we were not raised here in WV. Everyone was nice and warm and friendly and willing to help us if we needed anything.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 01:28 PM
 
49 posts, read 133,459 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
I'd like to add that as an "outsider" (moved to WV from NJ) I was greeted with nothing but friendly WV residents. And my husband and I both have accents, so its obvious we were not raised here in WV. Everyone was nice and warm and friendly and willing to help us if we needed anything.
How many close friends do you have? My bet would be none. In all of my years growing up in WV, both friends, family, friends of family, and friends of friends, kept their same friends all of their lives and never made any new ones. I hope this answers some questions for the Alice person above, who's so obviously not from WV either.

Yes, West Virginians will be very nice to people, as an aquaintence. That does not mean you will become their friend. Sure exceptions do exist. But I encourage people reading this board, to notice that no one from WV is getting on this board arguing this fact. It's people who are NOT from WV arguing with me.

I've just given an honest account of WV to the OP who wanted to know. If you don't like that, that's really your problem. Most West Virgians won't even take the time, or care to explain it to anyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 PM
 
49 posts, read 133,459 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
So what you are saying is that you are passing on as fact what members of your own family have to say on the subject of WV - whether or not you have experienced it yourself. You have no more facts than anyone else here, but because *you* are saying it, it is the only necessary information to the OP.

I stand by my statements here and I am sure vec101 stands by his. You stand by yours, but that doesn't mean that your hearsay is better than our firsthand experience. Personally, I disbelieve you questioned all your family members about this specific question to give a wider viewpoint.
You're a goofy person. No I saw it with my own 2 eyes all of my life. No offence but are you retarded? You're implying that I didn't visit my family members and friends all of my life, and they had to "tell" me about their life, lol. That might be what you do with your family and friends, or lack of, but not me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Hamilton, NJ
215 posts, read 1,095,032 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4life View Post
How many close friends do you have? My bet would be none. In all of my years growing up in WV, both friends, family, friends of family, and friends of friends, kept their same friends all of their lives and never made any new ones. I hope this answers some questions for the Alice person above, who's so obviously not from WV either.

Yes, West Virginians will be very nice to people, as an aquaintence. That does not mean you will become their friend. Sure exceptions do exist. But I encourage people reading this board, to notice that no one from WV is getting on this board arguing this fact. It's people who are NOT from WV arguing with me.

I've just given an honest account of WV to the OP who wanted to know. If you don't like that, that's really your problem. Most West Virgians won't even take the time, or care to explain it to anyone.
Well, because of my past and me leaving all my friends behind, I didn't have any close friends back in NJ either. But here in WV, my husband and I have been invited to parties, get togethers to hang out and play cards, etc. We've had BBQ's at our place with friends and all in all its been a nice experience. I haven't once gotten the impression that WVirginians will not make friends (or even consider being a close friend) to "outsiders."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:33 PM.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top