U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 AM

967 posts, read 2,796,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4life View Post
... Now I have a dream job and I could move anywhere in the country and do my job. I have chose not move at this time.
It's not the Worlds oldest profession because it's not portable...

Sounds as if WV is better of without you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 08:11 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,942,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
I think we need to re-exploit the "WV racist Hillbilly don't want no outsiders ain't no jobs here" legend.
We don't need to say anything. Wait till they get here and then find out that the Woman's Liberation Movement completely bypassed WV and all women are required by WV law to be completely submissive not only to their husbands, boyfriends, fathers and brothers, but to ALL men at all times.

Oh, and if that makes men think WV is for them, why then do you suppose so many men are critically injured in domestic disputes? Women can only take so much before they snap. Fair warning.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:39 AM

49 posts, read 133,505 times
Quote:
I think we need to re-exploit the "WV racist Hillbilly don't want no outsiders ain't no jobs here" legend.

I think as people look to relocate due to financial pressure / instability, V is going to look mighty appealing. If for no other reason than affordable housing. Certainly wages aren't as high, but for me, I found that the % of decrease in wage potential was outweighed by the decrease in cost of living and property taxes.

20 or so years from now, the pendulum will swing the other way, and our kids (mine anyway) will probably be tired of the country life and move to the city. And the cycle will begin again.
Legend. Really?

Last edited by Country4life; 01-14-2009 at 12:32 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
We don't need to say anything. Wait till they get here and then find out that the Woman's Liberation Movement completely bypassed WV and all women are required by WV law to be completely submissive not only to their husbands, boyfriends, fathers and brothers, but to ALL men at all times.

Oh, and if that makes men think WV is for them, why then do you suppose so many men are critically injured in domestic disputes? Women can only take so much before they snap. Fair warning.
????

Last edited by Country4life; 01-14-2009 at 12:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 12:05 PM

240 posts, read 685,572 times
I'm baffled as to why anyone thinks the cost of living in WV is less than other places. Except for real estate.

This state taxes everything. Even your pets. We drive to VA for gas because it's so much cheaper.

There are so many hidden costs that people who don't live here don't understand.

Case in point. I just went to PO where I have to have a box since I don't get mail delivery. So far that's free.

Got my 6 month car insurance statement. Which is already outrageous because I live in WV.

There was a page added to it that would allow me to pay even more for uninsured driver coverage which is a real problem here. Somebody totals your car and they have no insurance and you're basically up the creek.

The sad part is that it would be prudent of me to add this coverage because there are so many people driving around underinsured. But I already need a second mortgage to pay for my car insurance now.

They're going to increase the tolls on the interstate. So now everyone who lives in the southern part of the state will be forced to drive the back roads. I don't know what the truckers will do.

And part of this money goes to support Tamawreck which should either sink or make it on its own, IMHO. I don't understand why they can't make money but I am sick of paying for incompetency every time I want to go to Beckley or farther north.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
... In this very day and age, they constantly talk about how WVians are inbred, they're favorite jokes are the worst things people could say about WV, and they constantly go on with it and laugh about it, it's not just a little thing, it's a huge part of Northnern culture to make fun of WV. They will say it to your face as rude as possible without flinching with no remorse, really "matter of fact" like. Especially about the inbreeding. And no this is not a generalization. They know they come from this type of "hate" culture. So, yeah, I'm going to wonder what they would be doing there, considering the culture they come from.
What was that thing we said as kids..."Sticks and stones will break my bones, but name will never hurt me"? Seems appropriate.

I grew up in NY; never once have I been offended because people think NY'ers are rude, arrogent or self centered. Being from NY, and now in WV, I assure you that I've never felt anything but acceptance- from the people on my mountain, or the people in town. You get what you give. If you come across as a rather unsociable ogre, you'll most likely get that back.

~Mark

Old 01-14-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millersangel View Post
I'm baffled as to why anyone thinks the cost of living in WV is less than other places. Except for real estate.
Real estate is the biggest expenditure most will ever undertake and as such make up for a whole bunch of the nickle-and-dimes stuff. A savings of, say $50,000, and a property tax savings of a couple thousand a year go a long way.

Bottom line: WV isn't for everyone. But neither is any other place. Life is short, make yourself happy.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
What was that thing we said as kids..."Sticks and stones will break my bones, but name will never hurt me"? Seems appropriate.

I grew up in NY; never once have I been offended because people think NY'ers are rude, arrogent or self centered. Being from NY, and now in WV, I assure you that I've never felt anything but acceptance- from the people on my mountain, or the people in town. You get what you give. If you come across as a rather unsociable ogre, you'll most likely get that back.

~Mark
They say you're rude, try inbred on for size and see how you like it. I'm sure you'll come back with some type of retort, and sure you will, you're not about to be empathetic to it, you're a "rude" Northerner. Exactly what I've said here comes across in your posts.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
They say you're rude, try inbred on for size and see how you like it. I'm sure you'll come back with some type of retort, and sure you will, you're not about to be empathetic to it, you're a "rude" Northerner. Exactly what I've said here comes across in your posts.
Rude, inbred, black, blue, green, ugly, tall, short... Honestly, does it matter what someone says about you, or where you're from? If they're joking around, poking fun at you... give it back from both barrels.

If you've ever told a joke, it's at someones expense. If you're so thin-skinned that you can't take it, change you friends or tell people you're from Appalachia. When they say "where's that", give them crap for the poor education they recieved, then tell them you're from WV. They really can't razz you much after falling on their sword only moments before.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
It's not the Worlds oldest profession because it's not portable...

Sounds as if WV is better of without you.
How about pompus Northern A-hole. This is exactly what I am talking about. This is the personality of a true Northerner and this is the amount of respect they have for people from WV and their opinions. Their personalities and respect levels are in the toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia