Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:43 PM

49 posts, read 139,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
I liked my friends I grew up with, but NJ in general I dislike. Poor air quality, chemicals, bad water, cancer springing up everyone, crime, high taxes. I've love the mountains all my life, so did my husband. I chose to move to WV after visiting several times for vacation. I wanted a safe and nice place to raise my children in an area of my choosing. This is a free country people can actually move to different states ya know.

Just let it go. If you want to know more about me personally then visit my web page and ask questions there. Leave your personal attacks at the forum door, others besides myself would greatly appreciate it.
Just like I would appreciate it if you, stopped trying to discredit something you know nothing about. Oh and umm, I guess you've never smelled Union Carbide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 11:52 PM

404 posts, read 1,183,859 times
I wonder if the OP is still following this thread?

Old 01-14-2009, 12:00 AM

3,106 posts, read 7,350,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharedspirit View Post
I wonder if the OP is still following this thread?
If OP is, OP is probably running away as fast as possible. Oh well, maybe that will keep the thousands of people leaving California and heading East from landing in WV.

In case you did not catch the link, over 134,000 left Cal last year cuz of economy and thousands more are expected to leave.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 AM

404 posts, read 1,183,859 times
Yep, I caught that thread. I responded too. Did you see the news on wsaz about wv being only one of 6 states in the black? Wait till that hits the national news! Then everyone will really be headed here!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 AM

215 posts, read 1,161,498 times
Quote:
Yep, I caught that thread. I responded too. Did you see the news on wsaz about wv being only one of 6 states in the black? Wait till that hits the national news! Then everyone will really be headed here!
Yes I heard quite a few things about WV not being hit as hard as the rest of the country. There was an article in the inter-mountain not too long ago about it.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinTheMountains View Post
Yes I heard quite a few things about WV not being hit as hard as the rest of the country. There was an article in the inter-mountain not too long ago about it.
That's because WV was already depressed, so how could it go lower. lol

Old 01-14-2009, 01:54 AM

I was acutally offered one -two good jobs in the past couple of years by friends in WV if I wanted to move back. I don't really consider them to be good, one is 3 hours from my hometown, and the other, it's in a place I consider dangerous, both were professional jobs. Now I have a dream job and I could move anywhere in the country and do my job. I have chose not move at this time.

I've heard repeated bad things happening in the state, not all bad, some good. I sort of like where I live. There are many places to live, WV is not this wonderful thing you're making it out to be.

However, about 10 years ago, when AEP opened in WV, more than 3000 people applied for about 100 jobs. I'm baffled at the attitudes here. Sure, you can get a job in maybe one or two areas, certain types of doctors are in need, and possibly one other thing in need, but not very many.

There are many people who drive more than two hours every day to a job, even out of state. Some even live out of state during the week, and then drive back on weekends. I know of people who have done this for 20 years. I have college educated friends in WV who have lost jobs, and recently considered moving out of state, but managed to stay in the state but still had to move quite a distance. I have friends who have lost jobs when things closed down, and they've worked bad low paying jobs ever sinse.

I know of people who have been forced to move out of state because their jobs relocated, and they had to stay out of state and work for a couple of years before they could find another job and come back.

You are immature, and not very educated where WV is concerned. You act like what I'm saying is scary, to me you and you're lack of knowledge about things is scary, and the way you think you know it all, when you're so much in the dark.

A flood of people from California won't be able to move to WV for employment, the jobs aren't there. It's scary to see people talking about how WV wasn't hit hard, you can't hit something hard that was already hard in the first place. California is loaded with people from WV who moved there over the years because they just didn't like WV. I doubt they want to come back.

Most people who leave California move to Arizona.

Last edited by Country4life; 01-14-2009 at 02:18 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,212,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country4life View Post
You're retarded, ...
Guess that multiculturalism class didn't take, did it?

Old 01-14-2009, 07:56 AM

240 posts, read 729,864 times
Quote:
This is OT from this thread but then again maybe that's not a bad thing. :)

As far as I can tell, the fact that WV is in the black has absolutely no meaning for the average personl.

Where are the jobs? Why do they have to raise tolls on the interstate? Why are we taxed to death?

There are states running deficits that have jobs that pay three times what you would make in WV. And after doing a little research, I found their taxes are not higher and in fact, some are lower. The cost of living isn't all that much greater either.

Are we going to see some kind of trickle down benefit in the future I'm not aware of? What is Joe going to do with this money? Does anyone know?

Because the people flocking here are going to find they won't be able to get a job and if they do, they won't make what they would make elsewhere. The majority will have to struggle to survive unless they're already wealthy and unless you've grown up like that, it will be a rude and not very pleasant awakening.

I have to agree with C4L that WV has always been in a recession if you factor out the coal booms. People who grew up here are used to living frugally and within their means. People who aspire to more materialistic goals move.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:01 AM

967 posts, read 2,986,433 times
Quote:
I think we need to re-exploit the "WV racist Hillbilly don't want no outsiders ain't no jobs here" legend.

I think as people look to relocate due to financial pressure / instability, V is going to look mighty appealing. If for no other reason than affordable housing. Certainly wages aren't as high, but for me, I found that the % of decrease in wage potential was outweighed by the decrease in cost of living and property taxes.

20 or so years from now, the pendulum will swing the other way, and our kids (mine anyway) will probably be tired of the country life and move to the city. And the cycle will begin again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia