Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:26 PM

357 posts, read 1,462,446 times

Advertisements

as a resident of this state, what do you consider yourself? southers? midwestern? appalachian? northeastern?

what is the culture in WV like? what makes it similar to the south, the east, the midwest, etc? or is it in a hybrid category of its own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 05:17 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
We consider ourselves West By God Virginian's
The Northerners consider us inbread hicks
The Southerners call us "traitor's" consider they still have not realized it's 2007.

Were Mountaineers, and we all know in West Virginia it's all relative

Old 03-08-2007, 06:37 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,470 times
Default Y'all are

Appalachian is my thought.

Old 03-08-2007, 06:43 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post

Yep in the Southern Part.

I guess you can put it this way.
Appalachees in the South
Blue Ridge Stump Jumpers in the NE
Tuckahoe Boys in the Central East
and the other guys

Old 03-08-2007, 07:32 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsimmu View Post
If the PC police were watching, they would tell you no-no, it's Appalachian-Americans.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Well, I based from my experience from my travels all over the state. I've came to the conclusion that people in southern WV fits more with the Appalachian type. For the people in the Wheeling are, they share many similarities with Pittsburgh (perhaps because its only like 55 miles from Pittsburgh and they probably consider themselves northerners. People that live around Parkersburg or along the Ohio River in mid WV wit the fairly flat hills they share many characteristics of mid-westerners. People in the eastern panhandle again have characteristics of the ever growing DC area. Where I come from Elkins (North Central WV) It seems like we, along with Buckhannon, Weston, Clarksburg, and Fairmont, all seem to be a mix between Northern, Southern, and Mid-Western cultures all rolled into one.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:41 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,233,956 times
Way back when, when I was studying for the Golden Horseshoe exam, I remember a description of West Virginia:
  • The Eastern part is only 50 miles from Washington DC
  • The Southern part is farther south than Richmond VA
  • The Western part is farther west than Columbus OH
  • The Northern part is farther north than New York City
And maybe that's why the central core, being the farthest removed some any of those "outside influences" is also the purest part of West Virginia.

Snorpus

Old 03-09-2007, 07:01 AM

27 posts, read 107,038 times
Smile West Virginians...

I consider myself a "down to earth and friendly Appalachion. More on the southern side.] Usually where-ever I am,, I am called a "southern hillbilly". "Have to watch out for those southern gals".. I have been told. I love the mountains, but love the lakes and rivers as well. I am a Nature lover and love the culture of our State. Really love talking with and visiting with the people of WV. For the most part we are VERY hospitable and well mannered. But we can be riled up if imposed upon, like most folks.
At the present I am not living at home,,but hope to be soon.
Missing home, and my Appalachion Mountains are always calling me....Pat

Old 03-09-2007, 12:58 PM

1,981 posts, read 5,988,207 times
Snorpus where do you consider the core though?

Old 03-10-2007, 02:30 AM

240 posts, read 732,100 times
Down here on the NW VA border, we are definitely southern in speech, food and culture but different than traditonal southern states because of the Appalachian influence which has it's own idiom and traditions.

I would say the people here are tough and self sufficient. There are places you can go that seems as though you have gone back a half a century in time.

Life is slow paced and it's the kind of place where you can't be in a hurry. The check out clerk in the supermarket might have a fifteen minute conversation with the person in front of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia